A2/DAS test without training course?

Hello everyone,

I got my A1 license about 1 year ago, mostly because I couldn't pay for those very expensive A2/DAS courses.

Now that I got some experience and started commuting on bike, I'd like to upgrade to a higher license. 1 hour on a 125 is a bit stressing :)

I was wondering though if I can sit the test without paying for a course. My bike is quite big anyway and the handling is similar to the one I would use for the A2 test, so I don't see the reason for extra training.

But I can't seem to find the option to just rent the bike for the exam anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

you probably won't find one as most schools will want you to spend the ££ on the course.

i know when i did mine they had the options for different levels of experience.

what are you going to do about the Mod 1 course and practising it before the exam? and do you not want at least a couple of lessons to let the instructor see what your riding quality is like?

I did a year on a 125 every day, I'd say you would need the training on a big bike the power, clutch and throttle controls are all quite different. Also as mentioned you'll struggle to get a bike to do it on, a school won't just loan you a bike.

I know it's expensive to do but the training is well worth it.

Only way around it is if you have good connections, then you can borrow a bike.

and who would you buy the insurance off .. having a licence .. even bein added to an existin policy .. is a requirement ..

Any suggestions?

Thanks

yeah .. go to a trainin provider ...

As Copycat says good luck getting insurance if you do manage to get hold of a bike, and yes you do have to prove it's insured for you to ride, MOT'd and taxed if you use a bike that doesn't belong to a training school.

Just do pay as you go with a training school near you, most will do it that way, you don't have to pay for a DAS.

Renting out bikes to people with zero training and zero experience of big bikes sounds like a really sustainable business idea!

I'd say two years riding count something...

How can you prove that to someone you want to rent a bike from and ride on public roads? You can't, which is why nobody will rent you a bike unless they ride with you as your instructor.

I understand that, but I don't see why I should pay £500 (that's the minimum I've found) to prove I can ride a bike.

During the CBT you do the same stuff and it only costs $120, so I would expect a similar price.

Anyway, my point was not to prove the usefulness of the training. Just wanted to know if there is a way to take the A2 test without it. :)

Renting out bikes to people with zero training and zero experience of big bikes sounds like a really sustainable business idea!

I'd say two years riding count something...

Two years on a 125, it will give you a good idea of what the roads are like but as I mentioned - controlling a bigger bike is quite different at first - you can't just jump on it and do the same things. If you only had to do a Mod 2 then maybe you could teach yourself on private land and get it done but Mod 1 needs some proper tuition.

[mention]Joeman[/mention] it's the same test/training on almost identical bikes :thumb:

I don't think you have to sign up to a complete DAS package; you can just buy lessons by the hour, take them over a few weeks to suit you, and then sit the test when you're ready. I'd have thoughtthat any school should be happy to help you out on that basis. You'll have to pay for the time to take the test just as if it was a lesson, as you'll need their bike (and insurance) to take it with.

I don't think you have to sign up to a complete DAS package; you can just buy lessons by the hour, take them over a few weeks to suit you, and then sit the test when you're ready. I'd have thoughtthat any school should be happy to help you out on that basis. You'll have to pay for the time to take the test just as if it was a lesson, as you'll need their bike (and insurance) to take it with.

This is probably the way forwards.

You might find that as the season runs out more schools will be prepared to help you out. Early in the year loads of people want to take up biking, but towards the end of the year as the weather gets worse demand falls. No incentive for a busy school to go out of its way to help you.

Probably help if you are flexible regards lesson times - evenings and weekends likely to be busy, you might find that mid morning is possible.

Buy a bike and book your mod 1 and com3 back to us when your after some advice on riding schools that are good in your area.

No 125 is comparable to a big bike!

You will need training and practice

Sorry to be blunt but I've heard many people say 'I can ride a big bike, I've rode loads before' for example and yes they can make it move but that's it.

Do some looking around at schools near you, go for a free assessment so they can recommend a course length for you, you may only need a couple days tuition or maybe more who knows

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk