DAS or Lessons

Hi,

After a bit of advice. I'm 36, had a full car license since I was 17 but I've never ridden a bike before.

I've been wanting to get on and get my license but debating about which way to do it.

What are people's thoughts about the DAS course. Is it a good idea for someone who's never ridden a bike before? Would I be better off getting my CBT and having a few lessons first?

Thanks,

Martyn

Im a couple years older than your good self. Personally I did cbt, a 2 hour one to one to get on a big bike, then a three day das and that worked well for me. I think an intensive course would be fine for most if you can get time off to do it and don't need to spread the cost etc.

Sounds like what I want to do. I'm thinking getting my CBT now, have a few lessons over winter and then possibly a direct access in spring.

The other alternative is to get a 125 I suppose.

Welcome to TMBF mate. ......pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the guys when you can. ...... 8-)

Do the CBT and see how you get on with the bike.....then take it from there if it works out for you...... 8-)

Hi,

After a bit of advice. I'm 36, had a full car license since I was 17 but I've never ridden a bike before.

I've been wanting to get on and get my license but debating about which way to do it.

What are people's thoughts about the DAS course. Is it a good idea for someone who's never ridden a bike before? Would I be better off getting my CBT and having a few lessons first?

Thanks,

Martyn

You will need to do a cbt anyway

You could stay on a 125 for a while then upgrade to DAS

You will get lessons with DAS course anyway .

And it is aimed at people who have never ridden same as any licence test/training

If you've the cash to spend on lessons and you find you like riding the bigger bike, then I'd suggest taking that route rather than getting a 125. You could either go on an intensive DAS our just take lessons at your own pace but either way you could have a full licence by the end of the year.

I'd also recommend the DAS. I started mine just under a year ago and loved it. Am now on my second bike and have almost 10,000 miles under my belt! :mrgreen:

Since you already drive, you're not having to learn how roads work, and you'll very quickly find yourself wishing you had a bigger bike if you just did the CBT for now. Not to mention that the DAS will mean more lessons, which is always good.

Took me 2 months from first introductory lesson to having my full license, with a total of about 14 hours of lessons, and I didn't have any issues with learning through late autumn/early winter.

I did a CBT having never ridden a bike before then went the DAS route too, two days totaling about 10 hours tuition, then mod 1. 4 hours training then mod 2 (I failed) another hour then my test was cancelled (not my fault) another 2 hours then the final mod 2. 15 weeks from start to finish but most of that was waiting for tests, if I hadn't messed up my first mod 2 It would have taken 11 weeks.

Doing hourly lessons like I did for learning to drive wasn't offered. I really enjoyed the learning process and I'm loving being out on my own now.

I'd also recommend the DAS. I started mine just under a year ago and loved it. Am now on my second bike and have almost 10,000 miles under my belt! :mrgreen:

Since you already drive, you're not having to learn how roads work, and you'll very quickly find yourself wishing you had a bigger bike if you just did the CBT for now. Not to mention that the DAS will mean more lessons, which is always good.

Took me 2 months from first introductory lesson to having my full license, with a total of about 14 hours of lessons, and I didn't have any issues with learning through late autumn/early winter.

That was going to be my next question, is it a good idea to learn through the winter.

That was going to be my next question, is it a good idea to learn through the winter.

well it's better to drop the schools bike than your own.... :lol:

But getting taught how to ride properly in rubbishy weather isn't a bad thing. But buy decent waterproofs if you're going to do it

I'd already booked all my holiday for this year but still wanted to learn to ride so went down the hourly lesson route - worked really well for me. 12 x 1 hour weekly lessons plus CBT with no practicing in between to get from never being on a motorbike before to passing both tests (no faults on mod1, two on mod2).

I think it was the best option for me, by the end of it I was feeling really comfortable on the bike & the whole thing was an enjoyable experience - sure you have to take a couple of months learning rather than a week but it's nice not having any time pressure that I've heard some schools put their students under when doing a DAS!

I'd already booked all my holiday for this year but still wanted to learn to ride so went down the hourly lesson route - worked really well for me. 12 x 1 hour weekly lessons plus CBT with no practicing in between to get from never being on a motorbike before to passing both tests (no faults on mod1, two on mod2).

I think it was the best option for me, by the end of it I was feeling really comfortable on the bike & the whole thing was an enjoyable experience - sure you have to take a couple of months learning rather than a week but it's nice not having any time pressure that I've heard some schools put their students under when doing a DAS!

Interested in how much you paid for your hourly lessons. I did my CBT a couple of months ago, and about to start DAS training this weekend with the same school but they only offer training in "day" increments. There are a couple of other schools locally that I could try, because I think hourly lessons might work well for me. But I'll see how they assess my riding on Sunday and what they advise.

I think my school are a bit different to others in that they do most of the teaching/getting you used to the roads on a 125 then you do a mock mod2 when they think you're ready & if you pass you just do 2/3 lessons on a bigger bike to get you ready for the tests. I think the split for me was 8 lessons on the 125 then 4 on the 750 (I went on holiday & then was busy between the two tests so had an extra one to refresh myself on the 750).

Costs were £45 per hour for the 125 & £55 per hour for the 750.

Yeah I think different schools just have different approaches - mine say if you can do all the hard stuff on an under-powered, wobbly 125 then you can do it on any bigger bike.

Worked for me! After getting used to the extra weight of the 750 I thought it was a piece of p!ss to ride; so planted on the road, stable in the corners & with the power to accelerate my heft down the road I didn't have to worry about controlling it at all in the tests, it was all just easy (well other than the U-turns which I struggled with for a good half-a-lesson before getting the hang of)!

I dont lnow if my reply eent through. If you are doing a u turn, then turn your head and look where you want to go, not at the kerb across the the road. Keep your eyes on the target and you can do a u turn ib 8 feet and that is on a 700cc Honda

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk