Hello everyone, I am very new to all this forum stuff but hopefully you guys can help me. I have a 50cc moped and I am 17. I am a fairly confident mechanic as my uncle is a mechanic and has taught me and so I wanted to put a 80cc or 100cc kit on my bike. I have done some research and realize I am allowed to ride a 125 and already have one but I just want to mess around with a 2 stroke engine. However I am wondering the legalities of a 50cc bike and if it is legal to go more than 45 km/h (28mph) on my 50cc and if it is legal to put a bigger kit on it and ride it on UK roads. Thanks :)

Welcome to TMBF mate. .......pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the guys when you can. ...... 8-)

If you're 17, then there shouldn't be a problem upping the capacity of the ped. .....as long as it's no more than 125cc.......getting it insured may be a different problem though..... :shock:

Probably struggle to insure it as it goes from being a moped to a motorbike.

It's not designed to go more than 30mph so the insurance company will worry that the brakes, suspension, tyres etc are not up to the extra speed.

Well on the quote that I got I selected the bike model that it is, which is a WK wasp ttr or something similar to that. This also clarified that the model was originally a 49cc model. It then had a separate section for engine size and such and I entered 100cc so I am not really sure if they are taking that as being modified or not. I couldnt see any actual modification options. Any suggestions for another insurance site or comparison site to use? :?

• 2 weeks later...