Theory passed, Winter training?

Hi Guys,

New to biking and passed my theory this week. I am now looking to book my CBT and then lessons. Just wanted to ask the experienced riders their thoughts on doing training in the winter months as first I was thinking of holding off towards end of winter/early summer and buying a bike Feb/March (Big bike after passing full test). But I am really excited to get onto two wheels again (started just to learn abroad 20 years ago before I had to move back). Experienced riders probably think its a daft question and to just do it, but when I started before it was in a much sunnier climate than Birmingham!

Cheers

Yeah, do it! If the weather is really bad, your instructor won't take you out and when the weather does get better.....heaven. You'll learn a lot more on dodgy road surfaces, just be sensible. Train now - the summer will be your oyster!

I did mine in October, you learn to ride in the wet which is good because lets face it it rains a lot here. You learn how cold it can be on a bike all day so if you're gonna ride all year round it opens your eyes to the importance of layers! Also some places are slightly cheaper in the winter and test waiting times are generally shorter :thumb:

What they all said.

I did my CBT in a February, but checked the forecast before booking to make sure it would be on a nice sunny day. And it was, but unfortunately I had a particular problem so they booked me in to return the following week. And on that day it rained, heavy at times. Including when we had to go out on the road. And then I had to get the tube home in soaking wet jeans — which even dumped in front of a radiator were still wet 24 hours later — but with a CBT certificate.

It was the best thing to happen to me, though, because after that I never worried about riding in rain.

The point is, if you do it in good weather you will be happy to ride in good weather but do it in bad weather you will be happy to ride in any weather. More or less.

And the other point is, if the school does not provide waterproof trousers and you think it might rain, make sure you at least have some cheap over-trousers if yours are not waterproof.

I say book your CBT. You can't do anything without it, pretty much, and it's cheap enough and simple enough that there's not much risk in doing it now.

I'm learning just now, fit my final test this week all being well. I got soaked a few weeks ago, but it was OK. You don't really notice the wet when you're riding, only afterwards.

Once you've got CBT, why not ask your school to take you out in a big bike for a sample session. That's what I did, and they said I was just about ready for test. If they say you need a lot of work, then you can plan it accordingly. If not, you can rush it through.... Or take your time. It's up to you, but you don't need to choose now. You only need to take one step at a time.

I did my CBT at the end of January this year and it rained all day haha. Did my DAS in summer though and it was absolutely boiling. I'm not sure which was worse TBH. my clothing was wet through just from sweat. It was gross. I also dropped a bike that may or may not have been related to the warm weather (it totally was. I wouldn't have had to stop to take my thermal lining out of my jacket and in turn forget to put the side stand down if I wasn't so bloody warm - that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it)

It was lovely being warm out on the road training but doing slow manoeuvres in a car park for hours and you have to have full gear on was the actual worst. After I dropped the bike, which I broke a little bit I ended up stripping half my gear off and sunbathing while I waited for the bike to come back. It was like that all week. Then when it came to doing Mod2 the week after it absolutely bounced it down more than I've ever seen it bounce I it down ever in my life, I swear (I failed. Passed the second time though happy days)

Given a choice I'd much rather learn through winter and be road ready for summer

I did my training mid Dec and test same time, teaches you to b2 smooth and if you then ride until dry roads in spring it will feel great finally being able to let loose and you will have the control needed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Go for it. Will be good experience to train and learn during winter in different conditions. Also, there should be an abundance pf tests slots available at the test centre so will be easier to get a test slot to suit you rather than the waiting times that can be experienced in the warmer months.