CBT done! Next???

So did the CBT yesterday and absolutely loved it! New to bikes so was a bit scary at first. Did a previous post regarding clutch control during a pre-cbt/taster session. You guys were all very encouraging, told me to relax and use the back break. And you were so right! It all clicked fairly quickly and had no problems with the U turn or hill start.

Only had two wobbles. A stall at junction and other was a bit jerky with the clutch when pulling out. Weather was horrible, cold, windy and rain. Had problems with glasses misting up on starting the slow manoeuvres and when the bike was stopped. Also had to stop and wait as the other person was struggling a little bit (fell off as applied front brake on a sharp left roundabout exit). They were ok though and to their credit got up, carried on.

Now have a dilemma. At the end instructor says he always recommend learning road craft on a 125 for a few months (observations, road position etc) and then moving onto DAS. Thats what I'm now leaning towards.I know my clutch control, gear changes and better observations is what I need to work on.

Also the weather is a factor in regards to wearing specs. Think I would enjoy lessons on a big bike more without having to worry about my specs fogging up and wiping them every 2 minutes. So have decided to get a 125 for about 3-4 months, practice on my own and then DAS lessons early Spring.

Cbt was on a Kawasaki KLX125. Didn't feel comfortable on it though. Height was ok (I'm 6ft, 16 stone). Found the seat uncomfortable for 2 hours though and woke up with a pretty sore lower back this morning. Maybe just because I'm new to riding.

Thinking about either a Yamaha MT-125 or Honda CB125. 2-3 year old Mts are bout 3K and the Honda about £1800 for a year old. Hopefully won't lose too much when coming to sell/part-ex in 3-4 months. Like the bigger bike looks/tyres of the MT125 but they are expensive, also has nearly 5bhp more than the Honda. Would that make that much difference?

Personally I think its not worth the extra if I'm going to get rid of it so soon and could spend what I save on a bigger bike or lessons. I'd appreciate anyones opinion on either.

Sorry for the long post guys and have a good weekend! :cheers:

good work on getting through, nice when things start to click. Can't help you much on bike choice as went straight to DAS which quite a few people do. Worth considering imo. I have the same issue with glasses I can only say don't bother with the muc off anti mist spray, tried some last week and whenever my glasses misted up they just turned into kaleidoscopes, much worse than just the mist.

Thanks guys. Tried the muc off spray too, yeah you're right didn't help. Do have contact lenses but hate wearing them.

Haven't 100% decided to go the 125 route. May still decide to put up with wether/glasses misting up and spread DAS lessons over a couple of months over the winter. Then hopefully passing mod 2 by the spring time and buying a big bike to enjoy for spring/summer!

I've heard of people doing much worse in the CBT, getting through it and straight onto DAS. I don't mind having to pay for a few more DAS lessons and getting more experience on a big bike rather than losing more money on a 125.

If you buy a Japanese 125 you should be able to sell it for similar to what you paid. And the difference will be money well spent, both for the useful riding experience and just the fun of being able to do so.

So decided to book my first DAS lesson on a big bike this week. The school says its a 2 hour session similar to the the pad/taster session I did on my pre cbt in their car park. This should get me used to the controls/balance/weight of the bike. If Im ok, they will let me out on the road for a bit. Thought this might be the best way to make me decide if I want to do DAS straight away or get a 125 and practice on my own for a bit.

Thank you for taking the time to reply Hoggs. For my first time on a big bike, I did enjoy my first DAS lesson. But damn did i found it hard! Was too tense probably. I am not the most coordinated! It was a 2 hour/pad lesson going over the controls and manual handling of the 600cc bike. First bit was going round the car park and coming to a very controlled slow stop (lots of repitions to get it perfect). Then was slow slalom over 2 cones (2 parking bays apart). Struggled at that so instructor thought best to do U turn instead (3 bays). Problems I had was to juggle feathering the clutch whilst keep the revs up and using the back break at the same time. Managed it a few times but went too wide most of it it. Really got frustrated at myself! Relied on balance as on the light 125 for cbt rather than clutch control. Know I won't be able to get away with that for Mod1.

My favourite part was the road section of the cbt. Probably didn't stop smiling for all of it! Instructor mentioned that i didn't make many mistakes either, so was really chuffed as was first time out on the roads an a bike. But didn't get do do that on the 600 for the 1st DAS lesson, probably too early though.

Was thinking about doing 2 hour DAS lessons once a week on the schools ER6s to get ready for mod 1. Compared to the Kawasaki KLX 125s for my cbt, the ER6s rear brakes felt really awkward in terms of position and feel. After that 1st DAS lesson I'm now thinking of getting a 125 and practising the slow stuff on my own. Think I'll do better at my own pace and no one watching. Really like the look of the Duke 125s. I would be able to afford a used one and from what I've heard that are the best 125s and are quick-ish for a 125 (full 15bhp). My aim is to be hopefully get my full licence about Easter (CBT and theory is already passed). What do other people think of practising on a Ktm 125 and doing 600cc DAS lessons once a week at the same time? Im in no rush and don't need it for commuting and rather just for for weekend pleasure/summer riding. Thanks everyone.

I'm quite impulsive/impatient and did want to pass mod 1 and mod 2 as soon as possible and buy a XSR700 or MT-07 straight away, but after that 1st DAS lesson I'm thinking thinking that F**k what other people think or judge. I'll get a Duke 125, have fun, learn slow manoeuvre/ clutch skills at my own pace, and hopefully big bike skills will be easier then and will need less lessons before mod 1 and 2?

have fun, learn slow manoeuvre/ clutch skills at my own pace, and hopefully big bike skills will be easier then and will need less lessons

I Think you know your own limitations and what ever you decide will be the right course for you

I'm quite impulsive/impatient and did want to pass mod 1 and mod 2 as soon as possible and buy a XSR700 or MT-07 straight away, but after that 1st DAS lesson I'm thinking thinking that F**k what other people think or judge. I'll get a Duke 125, have fun, learn slow manoeuvre/ clutch skills at my own pace, and hopefully big bike skills will be easier then and will need less lessons before mod 1 and 2?

Sounds a good path.You have to do what feels best for you. The extra experience you get on your own will be invaluable and if you're learning at the same time you should avoid bad habits and have time to practice the skills your taught. Try and enjoy the whole experience, I found it easy to forget it was fun, getting stressed about silly mistakes and tensing up.

Congratulations on doing your CBT and onto the next stages!

FYI I much prefer contact lenses and wouldn't ride without them, I keep a spare pair in my jacket just incase.

Personally I went straight for DAS and onto the 600cc when I was ready, when I got a shot of a 125cc after that I wasn't too impressed having ridden the bigger bike, but it's preference on which you would rather, some people prefer having a 125 to use.

Happy bike shopping and riding :cheers:

Congrats on the CBT pass.

I messed around on my 125 for nearly 2 years before sitting and passing MOD2. Although my first taster of a big bike was only a couple of months after my CBT. I disliked the bike (an SV650 - it just felt wrong to me) which probably didn't push me to doing my full test, however the time spent on my 125 was time well spent I think.

I'm not saying you would need 2 years on a 125, but a few months is enough for most people to properly get a feel for being on a bike, in many different road conditions and be comfortable with most of it.

After that 1st DAS lesson I'm now thinking of getting a 125 and practising the slow stuff on my own. Think I'll do better at my own pace and no one watching.

I do not recall anyone ever asking in a 125 vs immediate-DAS discussion about what choice will make you a better rider.

Part of my reason for wanting to ride a 125 is that everyone was saying they are more difficult as big bikers are more stable and forgiving. To me that meant it would make me a better rider. In the end I did 23k miles on mine and on all manner of roads. I think I learnt a lot going up and down the likes of the A3 on a bike that can only do around 60 mph. You have to be more aware as you cannot simply accelerate out of trouble.

Only you know your learning styles, and where and how much you will be riding, but it sounds as though you have made a decision that is right for your circumstance. And as my signature says, 125s are fun.

You are riding a bike and even without motorways you can still go almost anywhere. My 125 took me on days out from London to places like Poole, Gloucester, and Coventry. So maybe its destination were sometimes questionable, but still you can do a lot and have a lot of fun on just a 125.

The only question I would have about your original plan of riding a 125 over winter then taking the DAS is to think about how often you will be riding as you will not be commuting. You do not have to be a fair-weather rider to still decide to stay in when there are warnings of icy roads or strong winds if you would only be riding for fun.

Wrapping up warm is easy enough, but dangerous conditions are not fun. And that is still true even if only going to a local car park to practice slow speed manoeuvres. Somewhere that is quiet enough for practice will also see ice last longer without traffic to thaw it. And the same can be said of quieter roads once you get outside of the city.

Mainly all I am saying is, do not set yourself a timetable if you do not need to. Ride when you can, but you will learn better when you are able to enjoy it rather than just endure it.

Cheers for your post someone.

Think I was just unrealistic and expected more from my 1st DAS /pad lesson on the ER6 but was probably due to my own limitations. Obviuosly don’t have much experience on big bikes but the bike I was on had 60k miles on it and throttle, clutch and rear brake felt much less easy to handle than the newish klx 125 I used on the CBT. Perhaps a few more lessons will help. As others have said I need to think more about enjoying it rather than getting frustrated about the slow speed control stuff. Hopefully that will come with practice. CBT felt fantastic when I was on the open road. Just want to crack on and enjoy riding. Probably too impatient with my own progress and need to appreciate that the school I’m with want to build a good foundation of skills rather than rush me through the tests. Will do a couple more lessons, get past this bad weather then think about a 125 for more practice. Think I’m two minds only because I had so much fun on my cbt but the first DAS lesson felt like such hard work.