CBT next week...then what?

Hi guys, I have booked my CBT for next week. As i'm new to riding and a complete beginner I'm not quite sure where to go after that. I literally thought you could do your CBT then go straight for your test (that's how much of a beginner I am) but as I've researched their seems so many options to do after the CBT. I have read about Module 1, which from what I've read sounds just the same as the CBT? Could be wrong though, then you move to Module 2 and I've heard about the DAS? Question is, what would be the best thing to do? I have considered and i'm actually going to view a Yamaha CBR 125 custom tomorrow just to buy so I can practice on after the CBT and learn myself, get in the habit of the lifesaver look etc. Would this be a reasonable thing to do? Or would you recommend me going on another course after the CBT? I've read you have to take your own bike to do your actual test, but if i pass on a 125 i am restricted on the bike i really want which is the Yamaha R3, so not 100% sure on buying the 125 idea. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You're a bit confused. Hopefully we can help clear that up.

How old are you? If you're over 24 then you can do Direct Access Scheme (DAS). That is your CBT + Theory Test followed by MOD1 then MOD2.

You can stop after the CBT but then you're restricted to a 125cc, L plates, and no pillion passenger.

If you're under 24 you have to go through different stages based on engine sizes I think. I only learned this year and being 39 I went with DAS.

As regards what you should do. Most say that after CBT you will want to try a big bike and then you'll want to go DAS. That's what happened with me. No point buying a 125 just for a few months. But you may prefer to do that

The CBT consists of three main parts, some class room learning, some manoeuvres done off-road, and some riding on the road. This in essence is what the theory test, Mod 1, and Mod 2 are the more comprehensive versions when going for a full licence.

Anyway, after the CBT you have two options:

1/ Ride a 125 with L-plates (and no motorways or pillions) for the next two years.

2/ Go for training and test for a full licence.

What is right for you depends on your personal circumstances, such as:

1/ How you learn, some people may find the time spent riding a 125 or self-learning to be more helpful to them, others may not.

2/ Why you are riding, a 125 might be enough for you for now, others need to commute on motorways or dual carriageways where they will need the speed of a bigger bike or a full licence.

3/ How much you can afford, a 125 is cheap to tax and has far better MPG than anything else, a bigger bike not only costs more to run but you also have the upfront costs of the training and tests that you could be saving whilst riding a 125.

4/ How old you are, which will determine the sort of licence you can get.

If you want to go for a full licence though then you will need to do the theory test first, however you do not need to complete this to ride a 125 on a CBT. So unless you plan on riding on just renewing your CBT in two years (some people do) then it is best to book that now and start practicing.

You also need to be over 24 to get a full A category licence to ride any bike, this is what DAS refers to. If you are over 19 you can get an A2 licence which will allow you to ride an R3, but you would then need to retake Mod 1 and Mod 2 after two years (or once you are 24) to upgrade to the full licence. So it can be expensive if you are unable to wait.

(An A1 licence which you can get if you are under 19 is not worth bothering with unless you need to ride a 125 on motorways or with pillions, as you have to wait two years to upgrade to an A2 but would be 19 by then so able to test for it anyway.)

You can use your own bike for the tests, but unless you are going for an A1 licence which restricts you to a 125 then this is not a realistic option. You are unlikely to get insurance to ride anything bigger than a 125 without a full licence, plus you would need someone else to take the bike to and from the test centre as you will not be able to ride it there. And there is no legal way to privately learn to ride a bigger bike on the road so you would need somewhere suitable to learn the bike and practice on it.

So that leaves your only realistic option for anything over a 125s as going through a training school. They will provide the bike and insurance, and by being accompanied by a certified trainer will allow you to ride a bigger bike with L-plates. Were you already an experienced rider then you could ask a school about just doing the tests with them, but as a complete beginner that is not a good idea and I cannot imagine any willing to take that risk, so you would be looking at a full training course which will be from around £600.

Second-hand Japanese 125s, such as the Yamaha, hold their value well, though. They are very reliable and many people want one after completing their CBT, so usually you will not lose much financially by buying one to ride until you are ready to move on to something bigger then reselling it.

But as a complete beginner, the only good advice that can be given is to do the CBT and see how you feel after that. You may even hate the experience!

But only then will you know how confident you feel about going straight for training for a full licence, or if you would prefer some time on a 125. You can also ask the instructors for advice as they will be far better informed having seen you on a bike than people on a forum can ever be.

And generally people on forums can only tell you what was right for them or their ego, but everyone is different.

Thanks for clearing that up. Yes as I say, I'm a complete beginner :D

I'm 31 so I'm happy to go straight for the bigger bikes. As I've already booked and paid for my cbt next week does that mean I can't do the das? Or can I go for that once I've completed my CBT? I'm going to ask my instructors next week anyway what the next best step would be for me, tell them what I want etc. I'm sure they can help that way.

The CBT consists of three main parts, some class room learning, some manoeuvres done off-road, and some riding on the road. This in essence is what the theory test, Mod 1, and Mod 2 are the more comprehensive versions when going for a full licence.

Anyway, after the CBT you have two options:

1/ Ride a 125 with L-plates (and no motorways or pillions) for the next two years.

2/ Go for training and test for a full licence.

What is right for you depends on your personal circumstances, such as:

1/ How you learn, some people may find the time spent riding a 125 or self-learning to be more helpful to them, others may not.

2/ Why you are riding, a 125 might be enough for you for now, others need to commute on motorways or dual carriageways where they will need the speed of a bigger bike or a full licence.

3/ How much you can afford, a 125 is cheap to tax and has far better MPG than anything else, a bigger bike not only costs more to run but you also have the upfront costs of the training and tests that you could be saving whilst riding a 125.

4/ How old you are, which will determine the sort of licence you can get.

If you want to go for a full licence though then you will need to do the theory test first, however you do not need to complete this to ride a 125 on a CBT. So unless you plan on riding on just renewing your CBT in two years (some people do) then it is best to book that now and start practicing.

You also need to be over 24 to get a full A category licence to ride any bike, this is what DAS refers to. If you are over 19 you can get an A2 licence which will allow you to ride an R3, but you would then need to retake Mod 1 and Mod 2 after two years (or once you are 24) to upgrade to the full licence. So it can be expensive if you are unable to wait.

(An A1 licence which you can get if you are under 19 is not worth bothering with unless you need to ride a 125 on motorways or with pillions, as you have to wait two years to upgrade to an A2 but would be 19 by then so able to test for it anyway.)

You can use your own bike for the tests, but unless you are going for an A1 licence which restricts you to a 125 then this is not a realistic option. You are unlikely to get insurance to ride anything bigger than a 125 without a full licence, plus you would need someone else to take the bike to and from the test centre as you will not be able to ride it there. And there is no legal way to privately learn to ride a bigger bike on the road so you would need somewhere suitable to learn the bike and practice on it.

So that leaves your only realistic option for anything over a 125s as going through a training school. They will provide the bike and insurance, and by being accompanied by a certified trainer will allow you to ride a bigger bike with L-plates. Were you already an experienced rider then you could ask a school about just doing the tests with them, but as a complete beginner that is not a good idea and I cannot imagine any willing to take that risk, so you would be looking at a full training course which will be from around £600.

Second-hand Japanese 125s, such as the Yamaha, hold their value well, though. They are very reliable and many people want one after completing their CBT, so usually you will not lose much financially by buying one to ride until you are ready to move on to something bigger then reselling it.

But as a complete beginner, the only good advice that can be given is to do the CBT and see how you feel after that. You may even hate the experience!

But only then will you know how confident you feel about going straight for training for a full licence, or if you would prefer some time on a 125. You can also ask the instructors for advice as they will be far better informed having seen you on a bike than people on a forum can ever be.

And generally people on forums can only tell you what was right for them or their ego, but everyone is different.

Thanks for that also. As im 31 My ideal scenario would be to go straight for my full licence. Could I buy the 125 to learn on and still go for the mod 1 and mod 2 to do my test on a bigger bike? Also would they provide the bike if I were to do my test on a bigger bike?

[mention]Jamieking86[/mention]

Doing your CBT separately from DAS is completely normal. Most schools run courses that take you from zero to full licence in one bundle, but they will also happily tailor your training to suit your time and budget.

I did my CBT first, then left it for a couple of months before booking a single lesson. After that they suggested going for my test later in the month, so I did. But there's no right or wrong way.

Also, the school will most likely have their own bikes which you will do lessons and tests on. I'm sure you could use your own but getting it to the test centre will be tricky unless someone else rides it there.

Ok thanks. As I have a full driving licence I'm guessing you still have to do the theory and hazard perception tests too? I wasn't sure if you still had to do them as their basically the same as when you do your driving theory test.

Ok thanks. As I have a full driving licence I'm guessing you still have to do the theory and hazard perception tests too? I wasn't sure if you still had to do them as their basically the same as when you do your driving theory test.

I'm afraid so, they are slightly different tests. I never did then for my car test because I'm that old! But it was easy enough so you'll be fine.

Yeah I've done some tests online and passed every one of them. Would you personally recommend buying a 125 to learn on for a few month? I think it's one of them things where I've done so much research online, YouTube etc, know exactly how to ride a bike but only gain experience by actually riding.

Thanks for that also. As im 31 My ideal scenario would be to go straight for my full licence. Could I buy the 125 to learn on and still go for the mod 1 and mod 2 to do my test on a bigger bike? Also would they provide the bike if I were to do my test on a bigger bike?

As with taking the CBT, a training school will provide the bikes for a full course and cover the insurance, as well as a helmet, coat, and gloves if necessary. The only things you will need are the CBT and theory certificates, suitable trousers, and ideally a pair of boots. And those can just be strong jeans and anything that will protect your ankles.

And absolutely you can ride a 125 to ride whilst taking the course. Fundamentally there is no difference between a 125 and a big bike other than the power, so all the basics you can learn on a 125 whilst taking the course will only help you. Although the courses themselves are not that long.

If you take to riding easily though and get some 125 experience first to be comfortable on the roads then you may only need a three-day course. That will just be on a big bike and start with a day getting used to it and practicing for Mod 1. The second day will be, as time allows, a bit more practice, Mod 1, then some road practice. And the third day a bit more road practice ahead of Mod 2.

Schools usually will leave around a week between the second and third days, so if you fail Mod 1 there will be time to redo it and keep the Mod 2 date. So if you have a 125 there will be plenty of time to practice between the three course days.

Without the 125 experience you will want a four-day course, which starts with a day of riding on a 125 to get road experience, then follows the the same as the three-day course. A five-day course, incidentally, is just a four-day course plus the CBT.

Given you will have to get a theory test booking, then book the DAS course, take the tests, then buy a new bike, it will probably be a month at the least before you have your licence and a bigger bike. So it depends how quickly you want to be riding and whether you think you will need the extra time on a bike, but I personally would still consider the 125 if possible for the experience you can get in the mean time.

The only drawback is that it being winter, and looking like it could be a cold and icy one, is that you may not get much riding time. But once you have your licence there is no pressure for when you have to change bikes. So even with a full licence you can still spend as long as you want getting road time on a 125 and, if buying second hand, taking your time to find the perfect bike.

Thanks someone that is actually a massive help. I will ask my instructor after my CBT where i should go from their. I'm going to see a YBR 125 custom this afternoon, all being well I'm hopefully going to buy it, then after my CBT can drive around as much as i can to get the experience needed. Thanks for your time replying.

Hello Hoggs, i very much intend to thank you :D

We just all love bikes and riding so are happy to help others share in that!

And I started on a YBR 125 Custom. It is not an exciting bike itself, but you can have a lot of fun on one. Mine took me 200 miles to my parents with luggage, on hundreds of day trips, around town for hospital visits and shopping, and many times to a local car park for figure-8s and U-turns. And all for under £10 for 200 miles.

I just wish I could afford to insure a second bike so could still use it around town.

We just all love bikes and riding so are happy to help others share in that!

And I started on a YBR 125 Custom. It is not an exciting bike itself, but you can have a lot of fun on one. Mine took me 200 miles to my parents with luggage, on hundreds of day trips, around town for hospital visits and shopping, and many times to a local car park for figure-8s and U-turns. And all for under £10 for 200 miles.

I just wish I could afford to insure a second bike so could still use it around town.

Yes i heard you can fill the tank up for £10 and get 200 mile out of it. Well i went to see it this afternoon, with me been a short rider my dad said i didn't look comfortable on it, my feet didn't flat foot the floor but i was quite comfortable reaching the floor with both feet, but the handlebars were a little high for me. I'm looking at getting an R3 eventually so my dad said i would be better looking for a 125 around the same position as the R3 to make sure I'm comfortable on it and to make sure I'll be comfortable on the R3, so going to go look at a bike shop sometime this week for a 125 that's a similar shape as the R3, any recommendations? I can understand why it's so fun, although I haven't ridden one yet, apart from a little trial bike 20+ years ago, just sitting on it I just couldn't wait to get going on one. I'm 31 now, and just can't believe it's taken me this long to actually want to do it, what's wrong with me? Lol.

The handlebar height is definitely quite a difference. As it was my first bike it is just what I was used to so never a problem , but after spending all day at my first DAS session on an XJ6, riding back home on my bike just felt very weird having my hands that high! I actually miss it now though as the more normal handlebar height means more body weight on my hands.

The regular YBR125 has lower bars, and apart from the cosmetic differences it otherwise the same bike as the Custom version so might be something you want to consider simply because it will be the cheapest to buy. And the seat height is about the same as on the R3 although the riding position is different.

But I would say the best bike for you sounds like the Honda CBR125, as it is also a super sport and though the riding position is a bit more upright the seat is only slightly higher than the R3.

Although the Yamaha YZF-R125 is just the next size down down in the range from the R3 and logically the better option, the seat is over an inch higher so it sounds like that might be a problem for you. Although you never really know until you sit on one.

There is also the Suzuki GSX-R125, with a similar seat height to the Honda, but as that is a brand new model any second hand ones will still be very expensive.

I can certainly imagine how different the custom would be handlebar wise, they we're quite high up but I'm a short bum :-D

I sat on the YBR125 today, and it was more or less perfect for me. I wasn't quite flat footed but certainly comfortable enough and the riding position seemed ok for me too although i didn't test ride it....obviously. I also got a chance to sit on me beloved R3. Must admit i was tip toeing slightly but once i get the hang of riding I think I'll be ok with tip toeing. I love the R3, everything about it just stands out to me and i felt upright rather than hunched over like super sports bikes, that is definately the bike I'm going for later next year, I would upload the picture my partner took of me on it, but I have no idea how lol. For now though I have decided to get a YBR125 to learn, I've seen one top notch condition for 2k but if i offer £1800 cash i think he'll take it. It's got 2451 miles on, 2014 full MOT, serviced etc 3 month warranty, the bike itself there's not a mark on it. Would you say that's pretty good deal?

You can get an R3 lowered by an inch or so by having the shocks replaced with shorter ones (and the side stand to accommodate) so that should make a big difference for you. I do not think it is that expensive either.

Some 125s can also be lowered, though for something you do not intend on riding for long it is obviously not worth the hassle and expense if you can find a bike you are okay with to learn on as you seem to have done.

That YBR125 sound about the right price for the age and miles from a dealer, though you can get them cheaper if you look at private sellers. But with the added benefit of a warranty it sounds good to me plus they will have to tell you about things like outstanding credit so that is something else you do not need to worry about.

One tip, the consumer protection you get when buying anything over £100 with a credit card applies even if you only pay a deposit that way. It does not matter how little the deposit is, or how you pay the rest, the full purchase price is protected.

So if possible I would asked to pay a deposit on a card to secure the bike "whilst I go to get the cash." Although I am possibly a bit too trusting with dealers, and have had no reason not to have been, so if paying all cash was necessary to get it for £1800 I would definitely do that. It is less to lose when you sell it on and can go towards the tests or the R3.

And to post photos you need to click on the Attachments tab underneath the Submit and other buttons. That will show an Add files button you can then use to upload them to the site.

I have added the photos to show i can reach with my feet, the other picture i just wanted to show how nice the bike was lol.

We actually came to an agreement for £1950 for the bike, a little more than i was hoping to spend but it comes with warranty and a full service before sale, full mot etc and the bike is in top condition so i'll be able to get most of my money back when i come to sell it. I'll actually be paying finance for now as I'm a gardener and work is very quiet this time of year, but come summer, my peak time and I've hopefully passed my test and much more experienced by then, I'll pay it off in full then probably part x it for an R3, see how things are. I may want to keep it for a little while longer. Got my CBT tomorrow though, very nervous but also very excited.

24993601_10159583829180570_7093583143289309313_n.thumb.jpg.17dc68f004a8fd87ca9d70e79ae75bcb.jpg

yamaha-r3-autos-maxabout.thumb.jpg.32d7bbfa95eec7ba9653e15346024b7b.jpg

Yeah i think i will get it lowered, would be much easier for me.

So i had my CBT this morning, we was hummng and arghing wether to ge through with it due to a little ice on the grounds. We did though and just took it steady, after 3 laps round i lost balance of the bike, dropped the bike and broke the clutch lever, he didn't have a spare so we've had to call it a day and I've got to go back next week. I'm having major doubts now though about my skills, i felt as if i couldn't steer properly even in a straight line, the bike felt as if it wanted to go both ways. I guess i just need more practice but I'm snookered now till next week. Pretty gutted to be honest.

[mention]Jamieking86[/mention]

Don't let these little setbacks stop you. I dropped the school bike (600cc Yamaha XJ6) on a roundabout in front of a queue of traffic. But I got back on, composed myself, and focused enough to get through the roundabout and back onto open road. I dropped it again later, on a quiet lane when doing emergency stop practise. 2 lessons later and I passed MOD2 with no riding faults!

I'm going to guess that you're a bit tense on the bike - you are openly a bit nervous about riding, and tension will cause you to wobble more because you tend to over-correct and resist the flow of the bike.

Stay positive. Next time you ride, see if you can loosen your shoulders up, then move off in a straight line and then deliberately sway your body left and right. It's amazing how stable these things are when they're moving. Build up that confidence in its natural (gyroscopic) stability and then you can use that to your advantage in corners.

FWIW I'm no expert at this either, but you can overcome these minor issues. There's nothing significantly different about you that will stop you from being able to do it, just a few simple things to get straight and you'll be safe enough.

You shouldn't be too hard on yourself. Riding conditions are horrible at the moment. If there was ice, I'm surprised your cbt went ahead. I did my cbt a couple of weeks ago and there were people who struggle at the beginning and then are ok. 3 laps is barely anything and as your are new to it all, it will take a bit longer but you will get there. Others on this forum were very encouraging to me as I struggled on my pre-cbt/taster session, but a little while into my cbt it all clicked and my confidence grew, as I'm sure it will for you. The best advice I got was to just relax and enjoy it. The manoeuvres and balance is so much harder when your shoulders, arms and hands are too tense.

No point having doubts about your skills, you're just starting out. It's a long process of acquiring the skills whilst you train and long after that when you'll be riding as a qualified rider. Stick at it and you will get it. Like Rodders says try to relax. Don't get disheartened, eyes on the prize, you blatting down some nice roads on an R3.

Thanks guys, it helps a bit knowing that people do struggle when they first start which is obvious as it's new to all of us in some parts of our life. Reading peoples experiences of their CBT's all help a bit too knowing that other people do drop the bike and fall off, I think i was just very unfortunate to snap the clutch lever. All i wanted to do was get back on it and try again. Now I'm worried about my balance on the bike though and worried it will happen again but i guess that's normal. Do you get used to the balance of your bike, or do experienced riders still nearly drop theirs? lol.