How long before Taking Big Bike Tests?

Evening, I did my CBT in September having never ridden a bike. I bought a Ybr125 in October and I've been doing a 40 mile a day commute every day since then in wind rain and snow.

I love the YBR, particularly for filtering and also the 82mpg I am vetting but I am already yearning for a bigger bike. The MT-07 is top of my list. I just wondered how long some of you rode on a CBT before passing your big bike tests. I kind of feel ready now but don't want to get too cocky and waste. You money

Any advice welcome!

My Opinion is there is No set time

The amount of riding your doing and in the Snow too! youve already exceeded the usual saddle time for a lot of learners

You wont get any more hazard than snow & ice .......well maybe a Tornado?

If you said you wanted a Vmax I would say dont be silly

But You Sound Ready Now

I did far far longer than I needed to, but as you have done a few thousand miles and are confident riding then you should be ready. Everyone is different, but once you feel you can even ask the question it is probably time. And if anything, the longer you wait the more likely you are to pick up bad habits that could go against you in the Mod 2.

But are you filtering for nearly all of your commute, as 82 mpg sounds pretty low for a YBR125?

I was around 100 on mine with just urban riding, and even going flat out in top gear into a wind with a giant top box I was still in the 90s when filling up.

I did far far longer than I needed to, but as you have done a few thousand miles and are confident riding then you should be ready. Everyone is different, but once you feel you can even ask the question it is probably time. And if anything, the longer you wait the more likely you are to pick up bad habits that could go against you in the Mod 2.

But are you filtering for nearly all of your commute, as 82 mpg sounds pretty low for a YBR125?

I was around 100 on mine with just urban riding, and even going flat out in top gear into a wind with a giant top box I was still in the 90s when filling up.

I ride from Wigan to Manchester, a bit of b road but most of the journey is on the Eastlancs A580, with wind, up a bit of hill, as close to 60MPH as i can, with a top box and with all 18 Stones of me! - I think 82MPG is not bad considering!

I think i will see how i get on in spring. Am i right that i need to do my Mod 1 & 2 on a 600cc or bigger? - Forgive my ignorance

Well you are a bit heavier than me, but still seems low.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/yamaha/ybr_125

You can do the tests on whatever you want if you are over 24, it only depends on which licence you want. But for the full A category then yes, it needs to be at least 595cc and 54bhp or above. For A2 category it is at least 395cc and up to 47bhp, and you can ride a restricted MT-07 on that licence.

But the school will provide the appropriate bike for whatever category you choose.

that's helpful, thank you.

I am 40, so, if i want a full license i need to borrow or hire a 700cc or do a DAS course?

Any suggestions on how to improve the MPG? - COuld it being winter affect it? Most of the journey is 60MPH on a duel carriage way - 70mph down hill with a wind behind me!

Unfortunately if it is near impossible not to do a DAS course, it is only really the A1 licence for 125s you can do without going through a school.

Even if someone will let you borrow their bike, you can only practice on it privately as you need to be accompanied by a DVSA approved trainer to ride on the road. Which also includes private car parks to which the public has access. And although that might not be a problem, you will struggle to find anyone willing to insure you to ride a bigger bike as a learner, which you will need to have for the tests. Schools also tend to pre-book test slots for their students, so doing it directly you may have to wait a while for places to be available too.

For the bike I would have a mechanic look at it. You cannot be riding in too low a gear as they do not have the range to reach those speeds. The filter and plug can effect economy, but should be covered by servicing. So does under inflated tyres, but I assume you check those, and similarly with the chain tension. Besides, you would lose power too and you are already getting everything the bike can give. It is strange, but if you are happy with what you are getting then it might not be worth the time or effort depending on how long you choose to wait on the DAS and upgrading.