Mod 1 Advice!

Evening Folks,

I know this question pops up almost all the time, only my questions seem a little different to those usually asked.

I took my Mod 1 (A1, restricted) this morning in the pouring rain and heavy wind at 8:15AM; my local test centre.

Well, I failed.

Ever since the start I just kept cocking up, right from checking in! I didn't know I had to check in, and seemingly the check in spot was an inconspicuous grey car — not sure what was actually acheived from peering through the window to get the attention of the person inside.

The examiner was pedantic (he is an examiner after all, I know) But his manner was patronising, combined with the fact that I was messing everything up, it got to my head.

He eventually took my details, and began explaining what I were to do.

The test starts, I park the bike in the green box, all necessary observations, ready to push... Crap, left the bike in gear. I eventually completed the handling exercise and was on to the slalom/figure 8. Nailed it.

Everything went smoothly, until the emergency stop...

I had noticed there was a large amount of gravel on the test pad, right over where I had to do the emergency stop.

Due to how the examiner was, I didn't dare question it (assuming he would turn around and exclaim that it was to mimic the roadway).

I prepared for the right hand circuit, and I couldn't physically bring myself to brake hardly in the manner you would for an emergency stop, knowing full well the bike was running over gravel.

He failed me, I went too far, also 46KM through the speed trap "Far too slow".

My question is: should I have mentioned the gravel, which seemed to be abundant around the mod 1 layout, or should I take my failure, man up and resit when able (and ready).

Needless to say, I learned a valuable lesson, and found it difficult to get my little 125 up to speed for the speed trap (with it being wet and having to accelerate over slippery wet lines).

Many thanks for your time.

Stuart.

Take it like a man, your upright and unless someone had spread a ton bag of gravel out the tyre would of stuck.

Iirc theres a line/he stands there so you know you have to stop before it/him. Just pull it progressivly.

Without seeing the surface I can't comment too much, but with the roads being gritted it's a circumstance you may well find yourself in at some point.

Did you go for it yourself or with an instructor?

On a side note, what makes you want the A1? I'm guessing you want to use a motorway

Take it like a man, your upright and unless someone had spread a ton bag of gravel out the tyre would of stuck.

Iirc theres a line/he stands there so you know you have to stop before it/him. Just pull it progressivly.

Thank you for the advice, noted. Chin up, a lesson or two and back in it.

Stu

Without seeing the surface I can't comment too much, but with the roads being gritted it's a circumstance you may well find yourself in at some point.

On a side note, what makes you want the A1? I'm guessing you want to use a motorway

I went for it myself, I thought I had it. I've got in contact with a superb training school in my area and looking forward to a retake when I have a bit more competence and instruction from a professional.

My CBT is expiring in November, and I'd rather get off 'L' plates, plus it will be handy to jump a few junctions down the motorway occasionally. I also have a friend who wants to ride pillion whenever I am ready. I only weigh 60 kilos, and so does he, so the bike should be alright.

I also want to get on a bikesafe course at some point and having a full license allows me to do so!

Thank you for the response.

Stu

I also understand what you're saying about the possibility of being in that situation on the road, but when I first saw the volume of gravel, I thought he must have been taking the piss!

As mentioned before, if in doubt just ask the examiner!

But hey at least that took some of the test nerves out for your next one. Its good experience for £15.50 (?)

I did Bikesafe in London with CBT + L plates - worth ringing your nearest one to ask if you're allowed to do it on CBT?