Completely stuck

Hey,

I'm 17. And have been working for a while now. I've got £1.3k to spend on a bike and lessons or whatever you need for a bike license. But I have no idea how to even go about this. How do I get a license and be able to ride a bike on the road? I want to get a 125cc but no sure if £1.3 is enough to get a bike and everything else.

Could anyone please tell me the steps for me to be able to actually drive a bike on the road? and if so any recommended bikes.

+ how much does this all cost?

I know absolutely nothing.

First thing you need to do is get the CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) certificate from your local motorcycle trading school, wherever you are, cost about £125 for a full days training. This will allow you to ride a motorbike up to 125cc for up to two years on L plates. There are other options which your training school will let you know. You also need to factor in some clothing and a helmet. Look at https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk for ideas, but your trying centre will be able to help with ideas in your budget.

Also see here regarding licence info:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/568266/routes-to-your-motorcycle-licence.pdf

Hi there,

1. Apply for a provisional driving licence. You can apply online (http://here) or get a form from larger post offices. It will cost £43

2. Next, as above, you need to attend a CBT. They are run by motorcycle training schools, and take place all over the country. If you google CBT and stick your post code in you should find some places near you. The training should last the best part of a day. They will provide helmet and gloves and the bike for the day, as well as an instructor. The first part will be in a car park or somewhere where you can practice simple stuff safely, and then in the afternoon they'll take you out on the roads. If all goes well, at the end of the day, you get a certificate which entitles you to a bike up to 125cc, on the road, with L plates, for the next two years. The course will cost £100-£120.

3. Then you will probably want to get a bike and some kit of your own. You can get good second-hand kit on ebay: jacket, trousers, boots and gloves. Don't be tempted to skip this bit: it can save you your skin. You will need to buy the helmet new, and you will need to try it on and get advice from the salesman to make sure you get a good, tight fit, which means going to a shop. All in, you should be able to get kitted up for £250ish, I reckon. As for bikes, 125s can be a bit pricey: it's hard to find reasonable ones under £1000. The cheapest prices are from private sales, which you can find on Gumtree or ebay, but take someone along with you who knows bikes unless you're confident you know what you're looking for. This bit is "buyer beware". You will also need to buy a road licence for the bike and insurance. I don't know how much the licence is (but I'd guess £30-£50). Insurance can be expensive though. Try to get some quotes online for bikes on your list before you start travelling to see any.

4. Once the two years on your CBT are up, you will have to take another. or you decide you want to take the full test and ride without CBTs and without L plates. But that bit can wait for later :wink:

Feel free to ask any questions.

Hi there,

1. Apply for a provisional driving licence. You can apply online (http://here) or get a form from larger post offices. It will cost £43

2. Next, as above, you need to attend a CBT. They are run by motorcycle training schools, and take place all over the country. If you google CBT and stick your post code in you should find some places near you. The training should last the best part of a day. They will provide helmet and gloves and the bike for the day, as well as an instructor. The first part will be in a car park or somewhere where you can practice simple stuff safely, and then in the afternoon they'll take you out on the roads. If all goes well, at the end of the day, you get a certificate which entitles you to a bike up to 125cc, on the road, with L plates, for the next two years. The course will cost £100-£120.

3. Then you will probably want to get a bike and some kit of your own. You can get good second-hand kit on ebay: jacket, trousers, boots and gloves. Don't be tempted to skip this bit: it can save you your skin. You will need to buy the helmet new, and you will need to try it on and get advice from the salesman to make sure you get a good, tight fit, which means going to a shop. All in, you should be able to get kitted up for £250ish, I reckon. As for bikes, 125s can be a bit pricey: it's hard to find reasonable ones under £1000. The cheapest prices are from private sales, which you can find on Gumtree or ebay, but take someone along with you who knows bikes unless you're confident you know what you're looking for. This bit is "buyer beware". You will also need to buy a road licence for the bike and insurance. I don't know how much the licence is (but I'd guess £30-£50). Insurance can be expensive though. Try to get some quotes online for bikes on your list before you start travelling to see any.

4. Once the two years on your CBT are up, you will have to take another. or you decide you want to take the full test and ride without CBTs and without L plates. But that bit can wait for later :wink:

Feel free to ask any questions.

Awesome! thanks so much. I was just wondering if on the part 2, where you said to apply for a CBT. is that separate to the course? so will I have to pay for the CBT and the course or are they combined?

First thing you need to do is get the CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) certificate from your local motorcycle trading school, wherever you are, cost about £125 for a full days training. This will allow you to ride a motorbike up to 125cc for up to two years on L plates. There are other options which your training school will let you know. You also need to factor in some clothing and a helmet. Look at https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk for ideas, but your trying centre will be able to help with ideas in your budget.

Also see here regarding licence info:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/568266/routes-to-your-motorcycle-licence.pdf

Thanks for the help, definitely helps as I knew nothing before. Do you think I should save up some more money for a 125cc or just stick with a 50cc when I complete everything?

Awesome! thanks so much. I was just wondering if on the part 2, where you said to apply for a CBT. is that separate to the course? so will I have to pay for the CBT and the course or are they combined?

The CBT is a course, you just book in with a school and spend a day on a bike with them that's all :thumb:.

The CBT is a course, you just book in with a school and spend a day on a bike with them that's all :thumb:.

And at the end of the day you get a CBT certificate that is registered at the DVLA, so you have up to two years of riding before you have to either retake it or upgrade to the next stage.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. But like Beefy said, the "course" and the CBT are the same thing. There's just one fee.

If you can afford it, get a 125. First, you will benefit hugely from practising using gears (assuming you go and get a bigger bike one day). Secondly, you can't keep up with the traffic on a 50cc, so you spend your life on the roads being overtaken by trucks and cars and donkey carts, which isn't a lot of fun. But your average 125 can do keep up on most roads (it's only on fast dual carriageways that they lag behind).

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. But like Beefy said, the "course" and the CBT are the same thing. There's just one fee.

If you can afford it, get a 125. First, you will benefit hugely from practising using gears (assuming you go and get a bigger bike one day). Secondly, you can't keep up with the traffic on a 50cc, so you spend your life on the roads being overtaken by trucks and cars and donkey carts, which isn't a lot of fun. But your average 125 can do keep up on most roads (it's only on fast dual carriageways that they lag behind).

Ah okay, only thing is. My budget for all of this (all I can afford really) is £1,300. Any chance of there being 125cc scooters/bikes and for me to be able to do all the training and other stuff for that much. I do have a job but only working around 16 hours a week because of college. So I will be able to get more money eventually.

Also, I ride a bicycle every day. Does it feel just slightly harder riding a moped compared to a bike?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Being a bit retentive, I kept a very detailed list of expenditure in my first year of biking;

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41851&p=702992&hilit=annual#p702992

Lessons and tests

Lessons (inc pre-CBT taster, CBT and pre-test) 12 (of which 6 were on a 125cc and 6 were DAS on a 600cc)

Past first time Theory/Hazard Perception and Mod 1. Passed second time Mod 2.

Time taken to get licence 7 months.

Costs - £666 in lessons. £306 in tests (inc CBT and 2x Mod 2)

Total - £972

Kit

Helmets x 2 - £210

Replacement visor - £35

Textile jacket and trousers - £114

Armoured jeans - £70

Gloves x3 - £126

Boots x1 - £74

Waterproof jacket and trousers - £40

Snood - £5

Hi Viz vest - £42

Free boots and gloves - gift £0

Total - £716

Motorbikes

Yamaha YBR 125, Red 05 plate - £1450

Kawasaki KLE 500, Spark black 05 plate - £2000 (minus £1100 for trade in so £800)

Total - £2250

Insurance and MOT

YBR125 TPF&T £139

KLE500 fully comp £250

Both bikes came with MOTs so none needed

Total £399

Motorbike parts/accessories

Earplugsx2 sets - £12

Alarm disc lock - £20

Motrax small Delux cover - £20

Motrax large Delux cover - £40

Motrax Guvna Disc lock - £25