Advanced riding seems to be a matter of opinion

So I am new to this and I don't claim to have studied the subject of advanced riding. After all I only did my cbt a month ago. However I am keen to get better as quickly as possible so I am interested. Its curious how there are such apparently opposing instructions for cornering.

• [list=]
  • Full control, by the Nordic bikers (its a pdf that seems oft referred to as good) says brake as you corner, granted you're easing off but front brake is used in the corner.

[list=] Pass your test and be a great rider, the MCN book says brake before cornering but if needs be then you can use the front brake and countersteering if you are surprised by a hazard say.

Any thoughts? I just thought motorcycling may be a bit more determined and less open to interpretation, physics etc.

I'm in the "brake before you enter the bend" school.......obviously sometimes a hazard will present itself whilst you're in the middle of the bend and you'll have to take evasive action, possibly by braking, but as a general rule braking is best done whilst the bike is upright. Most advanced riding courses over here will almost certainly say, "slow in......fast out"...... 8-)

:stupid:

Sure, it's not too hard to brake while cornering and keep everything under control, although braking just before is definitely easier. I guess by braking as you enter the corner, you might get out of it a shade more quickly, but I'd be surprised if it made any appreciable difference for most people when riding on real roads (as opposed to on a track). But given that not every corner goes 100% to plan, it's nice to be able to have something in reserve so you can apply the brakes should you find it tightens up or there's a loose sheep in the middle of the road; but if you're already on the brakes, you have fewer options.

Trail brake, apex, throttle when I'm out with my mates and brake straight when I'm chilling

Entering the corner at the correct speed is the correct way to do it but there's more than one way to skin a rabbit

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Break before the bend braking whilst going round it alters the bikes balance its never as planted.

I. P. S. G. A. information position speeds gears and acceleration sort all that on the approach.

Limit points is another good one from roadcraft keep watching the centreline and where it ends if it runs away from you or closes in you need to adjust your speed I find that a good pointer

It depends on your riding style and situation.

It's a really personal thing - there is no right or wrong answer unless you crash or end up on the wrong side of the road.

I always used to use the IAM method until I started farting about on track when I learned that it's perfectly safe to keep the front brakes on fairly heavily while leant right over so long as you're smooth coming off them and smooth on the throttle.

You can read all the stuff you like just so long as you take it as advice and not as gospel. You're the one in control so try out a few methods and see what works best for you.

ITs fairly universal then brake before the bend, accelerate out of bend...

Next comes to positioning, advanced riding says position for safety and vision racing lines are very different. For me on the road safety comes first then some bends you can see through enough to take a near racing line....

The fact is you can do whatever you like so long as you don't exceed the levels of grip available. This leaves huge scope for different riding styles to evolve which is why there are so many "correct" ways to corner.

On the road youre balancing many factors, traffic, road condition, hazzards, visibility, etc etc which makes every corner different.

The best line for visibility might result in riding over a wet manhole cover for example. The best line for avoiding the manhole might make you have to go through the bend slower. The only consistent answer is do what you like so long as you don't crash!

Trail braking into a corner is best left to the race track.

Though I would always have worked on using the rear brake to close trajectory along with easing throttle.

I do trail brake and engine brake far too much, and I lock the rear up and poo myself :(

Though I would always have worked on using the rear brake to close trajectory along with easing throttle.

I do trail brake and engine brake far too much, and I lock the rear up and poo myself :(

Slipper clutch is a winner for that

Slipper clutch is a winner for that

Having downshifted to fast once I can confirm they work. Brilliant things.