Given A instead of A2 licence...problem?

Guest Gruntmobile

Hi everyone, newbie poster here.

I passed my A2 test last year, having recently turned 25. I started when I was 23 but was away for a year afterwards, hence I didn't take the unrestricted. Regardless, I saw my examiner write 'A' on the Mod 2 pass certificate and, lo and behold, received an unrestricted licence. Needless to say I was quite pleased.

I'm just looking at bikes to buy now, and while I don't want to jump straight on a beast, there are a few cheap-but-nice older, sub-600cc UJMs with horespower above the A2 licence range. Question is - am I likely to get in trouble if I ride one of these? The test was so expensive that I'm reallllly disinclined to test again for the A licence, even if they'd let me now that I have one anyway. So I'm hoping this means I never have to take it. Anyone with any experience on this?

Cheers!

G

If you were old enough at the time then it’ll never be traced as anything else, however if you were underage they’d ask questions. It’s very strange to do an A2 when you’re old enough for A though, my school used the exact same bikes for A/A2 they didn’t bother restricting them. I wouldn’t worry about going for an A2 bike now you’ll be fine on almost anything in the 600 range and probably bigger if you’re sensible.

Welcome to TMBF mate. ......... 8-)

I'm not sure how they would check back......If your license says A and has the pass date alongside, then effectively you've got the full license......and now that you're 25 even if you had an accident I'm not sure that it would be looked at that closely........but, I'm not saying that you carry on with your plan.....that's a decision that only you can make..... :wink:

That flow chart is wrong. Down the right side it should say examiner messes up certificate y/n... Yes go straight to Honda Fireblade :mrgreen:

That flow chart is wrong. Down the right side it should say examiner messes up certificate y/n... Yes go straight to Honda Fireblade :mrgreen:

How is it wrong ?

He was 25

takes a2 test on suitable bike ( im presuming on a 600 )

= automatic A licence

How is it wrong ?

He was 25

takes a2 test

= automatic A licence

I don't know, I took it there had been a mistake by the examiner and the op had received a full licence when he shouldn't have. So I thought it would be funny to imply the flowchart is wrong. I don't understand the test system in the slightest.. . I'll get me coat

How is it wrong ?

He was 25

takes a2 test on suitable bike ( im presuming on a 600 )

= automatic A licence

I think OPs problem is they either did it on an A2 compliant bike, or think they did. If he did it on an A2 bike he shouldn't officially get the A, but no one is going to know now the furthest they'd ever check back was the certificate which shows cat A

Would your training school even put you in for the A2 test if you were 24?.......The test and everything else is the same, except for the cc and power output of the bike you take the test on......even if you started out doing the A2 training..... :wink: