I posted here a while ago all confused. Didn't even have my provisional.

Glad to say just over 2/3 months later. I have passed my CBT.

Done it today, 9-2 on the Honda CG 125. Small bike but was great for me.

Everything went well, got onto the road. Only embarrassing stall I had was when we were making a right turn. (How does one stall?) is it when you change gear/break without holding the clutch going slow?

Stalled a couple times at intersections.

Drove right into the wrong lane because a lorry was blocking my view and I didn't know where to turn. (Almost failed because of that)

Stalling happens when you pull the clutch out too quickly usually. I also stalled a fair bit on my CBT because the old CG I had wouldn’t go into first gear so I was trying to set off in second a lot. You’ll get the hang of that with practice, just get used to rolling the bike on the clutch and you’ll get a feel for the biting point in no time.

Stalling happens when you pull the clutch out too quickly usually. I also stalled a fair bit on my CBT because the old CG I had wouldn’t go into first gear so I was trying to set off in second a lot. You’ll get the hang of that with practice, just get used to rolling the bike on the clutch and you’ll get a feel for the biting point in no time.

Oh okay, makes sense. Apart from that I felt alright with the riding. Was told I did go slightly too fast around some corners.

But now's the time to actually start finding a bike.

Stalling happens when you pull the clutch out too quickly usually.

.. without enough throttle. If you pin it you almost certainly won't stall. But its about balance - more throttle and less clutch at the same time as you move off.

.. without enough throttle. If you pin it you almost certainly won't stall. But its about balance - more throttle and less clutch at the same time as you move off.

True, but then you might wheelie :mrgreen:

Yep! Happened to me the other day - scary stuff.

Do you mean stalling when turning, or just when waiting to make a turn?

When I first started I fell off on corners because of the bike stalling. The cause was poor clutch control, I guess because I was persuaded to do the CBT on an auto and was teaching myself gears.

Not enough throttle whilst slipping the clutch, and probably not coming off the back brake, meant the engine did not have enough power to move the bike so the engine cut out. An instructor offered some help after one of his classes which sorted that out.

I mean just waiting to turn. Such as coming to a red light or waiting to turn right and having to giveway so I just stalled
Make sure you pull the clutch all the way in when you're slowing to a stop.

I mean just waiting to turn. Such as coming to a red light or waiting to turn right and having to giveway so I just stalled

Ah alright, Can I can to a complete stop in gear 2/3 and then crank it down to gear 1?

I miss pulling wheelies!

The fjr is just too heavy :lol:

I miss pulling wheelies!

The fjr is just too heavy :lol:

I want to learn, but I don't want to throw my bike up the road :lol:

Ah alright, Can I can to a complete stop in gear 2/3 and then crank it down to gear 1?

Well you can, but you should try get in the habit of slowing down and going through the gears so you stop in 1st.

Reading the road ahead and anticipating what is going to happen is part of learning the road craft. Ideally you should be in 1st gear when you come to a stop. Going down the gears also helps with braking.

And to add to the above, if you're in the right gear you can set off again without putting your foot down if the lights change as you're approaching :). Might end up with too much to do if you're just about to stop, light goes green and you're in 3rd.