Hazard perception test

I've booked my theory test for the end of the month and after revising I'm quietly confident for that part. What I am nervous about is the hazard perception test. When I passed my car test in '97 I didn't have to do one, but after doing a few online practices I've noticed the window for scoring high points is quite narrow.

Does anyone have any hints and tips?

Thanks

there's free practise videos to be found online :thumb:

OH I MISREAD YOUR POST TOTALLY

Yes click when you see the hazard (fast moving car) click again when it gets close (not slowing down.... eep!) and click again when it's like right in your face. Don't wildly click and the computer seems to refuse to believe you can't see danger as far ahead as you can hence the few extra safety clicks needed

good luck!!

As said click a few times but don't go mental

I also found that it won't register until it's an actual hazard so in a practice one two people walk behind a van but didn't score until they emerged in road which was frustrating

I had same fears as you and with things like that in practice ones didn't help but on real thing I passed comfortably and they are all fairly obvious

Overclicking is quite hard. So for anything that looks suspicious just click, then when it develops, and develops again (and it's in your face). Most clips have 1 hazard, a couple of have 2 I think, so keep watching.

I've booked my theory test for the end of the month and after revising I'm quietly confident for that part. What I am nervous about is the hazard perception test. When I passed my car test in '97 I didn't have to do one, but after doing a few online practices I've noticed the window for scoring high points is quite narrow.

Does anyone have any hints and tips?

Thanks

I read it's a good idea to double click about half a second apart to make sure your not clicking slightly too early and scoring 0. I used that method, didnt get any overclicking warning and passed with 66/75.

It's a stupid test but follow what people have said and you should be fine. The key bit is when the hazard develops not just when you see a potential hazard. There was a guy on here a while bike who threw his toys right out the pram at this test and decided he wouldn't ride a motorbike because of it or something stupid. Just don't be that man,

Thanks all for the advice. If I fail because of it I certainly won't give up, I'll use it as a practice and take what I've learnt into the retest.

I'm looking forward to it, just a little nervous. I've got a couple of weeks before then so I'll continue with my research and hopefully all will be good.

Thanks all.

The problem is the Hazard Perception test is primarily aimed at learner drivers/riders.

As an experienced road user you should spot the hazard well before a learner would as you know from years of experience all the clues that lead up to a potential hazard. This means that you will usually click before the scoring window starts.

As everyone has said about clicking a couple of times, do so. Click when you can see a hazard developing (experience) then click again maybe a second later (inexperience)

Try it on the practice clips and see if your score improves.

The best DVD to use is here. https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-Driving-Theory-Test-Hazard-CD-DVD-Official-Highway-Code-Book-L-/121056148533

When I was a Driving Instructor I advised all my pupils to buy this.

Good luck.

I spent the money on an app and studied for theory and hazard in one go.... Worked for me and seems I would recommend, just look for best reviewed app.

As others have said don't just click once if its a hazard, I did over click one scenario in my test (there where no hazards) and I still passed...

When I did mine a couple of years back each clip had 1 and only - hazard, except for one “double hazard” clip.

I fell into the trap of flagging potential hazards, the double tap saved me, but on one clip I over clicked and scored 0.

It’s a bit tricky as you don’t score and can be penalised for clicking potential hazards, but equally it can be a bit late if you wait until it actually happens... and of course in hindsight it’s obvious.

I still passed by a reasonable margin, so no great problems, just adopt the strategy mentioned and Practice a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many of the apps available still use old fuzzy video, however the test itself now uses only CGI which is much clearer and the hazards are now incredibly easy to spot compared to the old videos. It would be difficult to get full marks I think due to the timing you'd need to hit the '5 score' window every time, but if you have been driving for a long time you should have little problem passing (touch wood).

In terms of clicks I did 5 steady ones (a bit faster than one per second) when I saw the hazard develop and that seemed to cover the scoring window for the most part, without triggering a too many clicks warning.

Many of the apps available still use old fuzzy video, however the test itself now uses only CGI which is much clearer and the hazards are now incredibly easy to spot compared to the old videos. It would be difficult to get full marks I think due to the timing you'd need to hit the '5 score' window every time, but if you have been driving for a long time you should have little problem passing (touch wood).

In terms of clicks I did 5 steady ones (a bit faster than one per second) when I saw the hazard develop and that seemed to cover the scoring window for the most part, without triggering a too many clicks warning.

Thanks, that is reassuring. Nervous, but strangely looking forward to it!

yes it helps if you react to the hazards as well as perceive them.

On my test I did nod off for a moment and just muttered to myself 'what an absolute twat' before I remembered I should be clicking.

On my first one (about 10 years ago) i got like 30/75

Then on the one i did last year i got about 60/75.

I get the impression that if i did it 5 times in a row with the same videos i would get varying results.

• 2 weeks later...