Theory Test First?

Got my CBT tomorrow and could probably wait for my answer till then but I'm excited and want to know now haha.

Do I need to do my theory test before I can start training for my full license? I'm not talking about before doing my full license test just the training.

Do I need to do my theory test before I can start training for my full license?

No.. you can take this test as and when you think you're ready for it. if you want you can book it as soon as you have your CBT through the school you are training with. They may have tests block booked.. so its just a matter of deciding when suits you. Your school may also offer training aids to help you prepare. ask them.

Edited by Gerontious

Whilst legally you do not need to have a theory test to be able to ride on the road with an instructor, be aware that schools might require it if you buy a training package from them.

This is how most people do their training and is based on a number of days, which includes the practical tests. If you have not completed the theory test they risk you failing and not being able to take the lessons they have pre-booked for you, and they might not be able to find anyone else able to use them.

For a complete beginner training is usually just five or six days in total, which includes the CBT, mod 1, and mod 2.

So the best thing to do is talk to the school you intend to train with and see what their requirements are.

They may be able to sell ad hoc training lessons, based on a cost per day, or sell a training package without booking the lessons until you are ready to take them. Although would you want to leave a long gap between the training and taking the tests?

Personally I would recommend doing the theory test before starting training as it just makes things easier.