A few total newb questions

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the world of motoring and have just got my provisional licence. I would like to get a little runaround for to and from work, friends, days out etc and figure a bike would be better than a car.

It may be a stupid question but I can't seem to find the answer to a few things and sites I've read are very confusing with varying information.

I'm over 25 and have a provisional licence and my questions are:

Assuming I haven't done my theory or practical...

1) After completing the CBT can I ride alone?

2) What bikes and cc level will I be able to ride after passing the CBT?

3) Do you have to book a specific CBT based on the type of bike you want to ride i.e; 50cc, 125cc?

I'm just so confused.

Hello and welcome :cheers:

1) After completing the CBT can I ride alone? Yes with L plates on up to a 125 cc

no pillions, no motorways

2) What bikes and cc level will I be able to ride after passing the CBT?Any bike up to 125cc

3) Do you have to book a specific CBT based on the type of bike you want to ride i.e; 50cc, 125cc?You can request either geared or twist and go (scooter) for your CBT. if you're planning on

going on to ride bigger bikes it's advisable to do the CBT on a geared bike to get used to it. Unlike cars, if you pass your CBT on a twist and go you're not restricted to automatics so can get a geared bike later if you want.

I'm just so confused.

The CBT is valid for 2 years so if you haven't done additional tests in that time you will need to redo the CBT.

Hope that helps :mrgreen:

Hello and welcome :cheers:

1) After completing the CBT can I ride alone? Yes with L plates on up to a 125 cc

no pillions, no motorways

2) What bikes and cc level will I be able to ride after passing the CBT?Any bike up to 125cc

3) Do you have to book a specific CBT based on the type of bike you want to ride i.e; 50cc, 125cc?You can request either geared or twist and go (scooter) for your CBT. if you're planning on

going on to ride geared bikes it's advisable to do the CBT on a geared bike to get used to it. Unlike cars, if you pass your CBT on a twist and go you're not restricted to automatics so can get a geared bike later if you want.

I'm just so confused.

The CBT is valid for 2 years so if you haven't done additional tests in that time you will need to redo the CBT.

Hope that helps :mrgreen:

Ftfy

At the CBT you'll say you want to do it on a geared motorbike, if they don't think you can cope with gears they'll give you the option of doing it on a moped. They'll ensure you are confident on the bike before giving you your certificate and sending you on your way.

Yes you can ride alone after the CBT for 2 years, if you pass your test in that time great, if not you need to retake it.

Theory test doesn't have to be done until after you've done your CBT but I think it's sensible to do it before if you've never driven on the roads before.

125cc is the largest bike you can ride after your CBT