Manual handling Mod 1

Failed mod 1 yesterday. It was a bit of surprise tbh cos Id repeatedly flawlessly managed it all on every practice and actually (stupidly thought) I'mma gonna win. Alas moron me surfaced at the crucial moment and screwed things up by not taking the completely essential for a weed like me time to recover from the manual handling and jumped on the bike whilst still weak and sweaty with arms like elastic bands that have no elastic left in them. Things is Im left wondering why it is necessary to be backwards in semi circle (regardless of method used) and why can't you paddle it, surely its safer? Wot u think?

Try paddling it backwards up a hill out of a parking space, it's not happening, I made this mistake last week and also had to turn it at the same time, had I been so weak that this was not possible I would have known n

ot to park the way I did.

I was also told this exact scenario by my instructor and thought nothing of it until said parking error, lesson learned, luckily I am fine pushing the damn thing.

Edited by Bender

That story is my nightmare! My kermit arms wouldnt stand a chance. My Ma told me (who is a 5' 2" lightweight and has ridden wotever bikes she fancied) said you learn pretty quick not to make parking mistakes when you have to ask for help from whoever takes pity on you!

Why do you need do it? To pass the test. Man up :wink:

But seriously, I often end up pushing my bike backwards in a semi-circle, usually in a gravel-covered car park. Sometimes that's the only way into a spot that leaves me in a position where I can ride out. And the bike is probably a fair bit heavier than yours. And I am a weed, too, made of twiglets.

But at least you've realised what you did wrong, and next time you'll nail it :D

Yeh well spose you've convinced me its a necessary evil. Its just falls into the category of 'Id rather not ta'

I seem to sadly have an ingrained manual handling HSE guide in my tiny mind after having to do manual handling updates every single year for the last 20+ years.

Avoid all uneccessary manual handling. On one-two wheels if its over 200kg its very high risk and should be looked at immediately as it could cause injury, its also an unstable load being moved in a poor body position. There told you it was sadly ingrained! The bike weighs over 4 times wot I do so Im not (said with an embarrassed face) too ashamed.

Shame cant do it at the end of the test though to make full use of the adrenaline and wouldnt have to waste time recovering/buggering up before the rest of the test.

Well thanks for the words of encouragement. Failing first time has kinda relieved some pressure and I know Ill pass it one day!

Try paddling it backwards up a hill out of a parking space, it's not happening

To be fair this exact thing happened to me a few weeks ago and I did think "huh, I guess that Mod1 stuff does come in handy sometimes" as I merrily pushed it backwards. :lol:

[mention]Slowlycatchymonkey[/mention] I did ask the examiner if I could take a minute after that part of the test and he said "sure! it's not timed!" so yeah no rush and I'm sure you'll nail it next time 8-)

Try paddling it backwards up a hill out of a parking space, it's not happening

To be fair this exact thing happened to me a few weeks ago and I did think "huh, I guess that Mod1 stuff does come in handy sometimes" as I merrily pushed it backwards. :lol:

It happened to me last month too. Could not move the bike at all, paddling or pushing. And it is only a 500.

Thankfully there was nothing parked in the road below so I just rode up onto the verge, over the pavement, and into that space. Think I told the story in some thread, because later a car had a same problem with the gradient of the car parkl and crushed its bumper on the kerb. Made me feel less stupid.

What am I missing that pushing with the arms is impervious to gravity but not with the legs?

As for pushing it on gravel? Goodness me, no.

Just want to point out there is no set route bike has to take, obviously the semi circle is most direct but bike just needs to leave box backwards and enter adjacent box backwards but nothing stopping you pushing it back and turning other way then pushing forward just past other box and taking it backwards in (or any other way you fancy)

See I'm lazy, I put the bike on its sidestand and lever it so the bikes balancing on the sidestand then just whirl it around, no need to paddle or walk it around. Takes two seconds to get the bike facing the opposite way.

But yes, for the test you have to do everything by the book.

I do not have the confidence in the side stand to do that. Though admittedly I have realigned my bike whilst on the centre stand.

Someone (not you) said really you should only do it on bikes pre 2003 as the sidestands were made of tougher metal. MAY BE BULLSHIT I DON'T KNOW