Multi-lane roundabout indication

Hi Everyone

Been lurking around anonymously for a few weeks and picking up some really useful info. Got my Mod 2 next week and there's something I need a little clarification on as we've not really covered it much in my training and I don't want to get caught out on my test on something silly (and probably a few more questions to come over the weekend!).

So basically, roundabouts are easy and common sense for the most part. 1 and 2 lane roundabouts are fairly obvious to navigate; indication and life savers are common sense in the required places. However one thing i'm wondering about is when you have larger roundabouts, specifically one's with "pushover lanes" (or whatever they are called, the ones where you basically just follow the same lane round to your exit without having to cross a line).

Here's an image of such a roundabout (specifically the one I was driving on yesterday that made me think "what the **** should I be doing here?!").

aOvD8u2.jpg

I've drawn a line and some indicators on there as an example of what you may do, if you followed the same rules as a smaller roundabout (signal right until just after the exit you want, then signal left). Local knowledge tells me to go for lane 4 even though I'll end up in the second lane of the exit, purely because so many people in lane 2 on the entrance go for lane 3 also and on a bike I'm not going to risk shoving my way in.

When i'm in my car, I approach it a bit differently. I will signal right to start to show i'm going for the inner most lane (lane 4, if i was going for lane 3 I probably wouldn't signal at all, unless I felt it would help in some way). Once i'm in lane 4 i'd cancel my indicator, treating it like a large one-way street if you will. I'll flash my left indicator briefly (gentle push on the stalk for the lane change flash) when the lane pushes me across to the left at the 2nd exit, just to make others aware i'm moving position (because road markings mean nothing to some people), and then finally left indicate again before exiting.

The reason I do that in a car is because I feel it communicates everything I need to, to other road users in the best way. If I leave my right indicator on as per my image, it's ambiguous. Am I signalling because I want to get back to lane 4 after moving away from it, or am I carrying on in the same lane, that just so happens to be going further on round. Other people can't be sure my intentions, and that's the start of a not so happy ending.

My instincts tell me to do what i'd do in a car. 8 years without any issues tells me people know my intentions, but then my brain tells me that what the DVSA tells you to do on a test is not always translated to the road when your on your own.

So what indicators should I be doing on this roundabout? Specifically talking about what the DVSA examiner wants to see me do? (not that I don't value the advice of seasoned riders, stand on the shoulders of giants if you get the chance).

Any advice on this so it's clear in my head would be appreciated, as i'm sure i'm going to hit one of these on my test given the located of the test centre.

do what the Highway Code tells you. Don't make up your own rules.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

signal right and approach in the right-hand lane

keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout

signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

The important part is unless signs or markings indicate otherwise. I cannot stick to the right as road markings tell me not too. So your saying the image is correct and I should keep my right indicator on, even though it may confuse people into thinking I want to move back from Lane 3 to 4, which I do not want to do?

I'm not saying your wrong. But I want to be sure the ambiguity (in my opinion) in my signalling in this scenario is what the examiner will be expecting.

I agree with you [mention]Smee[/mention].

Given that the Highway Code says

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

It leave you wondering what to do when "markings indicate otherwise". If you try to follow the guidance above in your case, you end up with a right indicator on while moving to the left. Seems to me that this isn't a great approach.

" treating it like a large one-way street if you will"

.....There you have it. Indicate to show which lane you intend to enter and ultimately leave by. Indicating in one direction and then moving in the other is a no-no.

Not complicated, really.

Top tip: if approaching the roundabout on the test wait for a gap you can get out in but not the examiner

Zoom around as quickly as possible so he can't see you.

Win!

Top tip: if approaching the roundabout on the test wait for a gap you can get out in but not the examiner

Zoom around as quickly as possible so he can't see you.

Win!

Yep. I was told that they like you to get in with it and not hang around so I did just that in mine - got away and he didn't see me for 5 mins - less to fail on!