Full Automatic Licence - can I ride a 125cc manual?

I currently have a full motorcycle licence but restricted to automatic. I grew up riding Vespas and currently own a 300 GTS Super.

I would like to remove the restriction by completing Mod 1 and 2 on a geared bike in the near future.

However, I would like to gain experience on a geared bike. Can I legally purchase and ride a 125cc manual bike with L plates under my auto licence. I assume it is similar if you had completed a CBT? Or would I need to take a CBT all over again to be covered?

The gov.uk website is not clear on this matter and various instructors have given me conflicting advice.

Grateful for the Forum's views.

You would need to take cbt on a geared bike.

He could take a cbt on a twist and go scooter then ride a geared bike tbf but he may as well learn how to use a geared bike instead.

You would need to take cbt on a geared bike.

Hi Bender - this isn't true....if you are retaking the test to upgrade an existing full licence, then the CBT need not be redone...from https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt

"You don’t have to take CBT if you:

want to ride a moped (up to 50cc) and you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001

want to ride a motorcycle and have a full moped licence from passing a moped test since 1 December 1990

have a full motorcycle licence for one category and want to upgrade to another

live and ride on some offshore islands"

Does your licence state that it will act as a provisional licence for motorcycles of other categories? If so, you're good to go and get a 125 geared bike to learn on.

My bad I just read 125 and auto, although I'm now confused as to how you can do cbt on twist and go then ride geared.

Edited, shows how much notice I was takin while doing cbt, cbt don't careless what your riding, which in hindsight is a bit stupid

I think it's because the CBT is just about basic machine control and road hazard awareness....once you've demonstrated you can throw a leg over a bike without dying then that's it........I suppose that the requirement to retake CBT on a 2 yearly basis is designed to capture those numpties who have no intention of ever taking any form of higher assessment.

There again, you'd think that there would be a special category of test for moped thieves and acid-throwers........ride safely, kids! :thumb:

Theres a chap lives just down the road from me who has been riding as long as Ive lived here.. so at least 18yrs. He first had a CG125 and then more recently a CBR125. all the while on L plates. So.. over the course of 18yrs he has probably spent not far off £900 on CBTs. I asked him once why he didn't take his test. his answer "no point" as his bike is just (local) transport and its easier on his low wage to pay £100 every other year than the several hundred he would have to save to pass the test. Also.. he saw no point in getting a bigger bike as his 125 did everything he needs. I cant argue with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Theres a chap lives just down the road from me who has been riding as long as Ive lived here.. so at least 18yrs. He first had a CG125 and then more recently a CBR125. all the while on L plates. So.. over the course of 18yrs he has probably spent not far off £900 on CBTs. I asked him once why he didn't take his test. his answer "no point" as his bike is just (local) transport and its easier on his low wage to pay £100 every other year than the several hundred he would have to save to pass the test. Also.. he saw no point in getting a bigger bike as his 125 did everything he needs. I cant argue with that.

Can get full A1 license on a 125 without spending a lot with your own bike.

£15 for Mod 1, and £75 (i think?) for Mod 2.

Hes spent a lot more than he should have.

• 2 weeks later...

My bad I just read 125 and auto, although I'm now confused as to how you can do cbt on twist and go then ride geared.

My CBT certificate states automatic but I ride geared as I didnt want a scooter but Id never sat on a bike before so it was a good way of finding my balance etc.

On the CBT even though I was on a scooter I was still shown my way around a 125 bike too. So nothing stopping me going out and riding a bike after passing. As it happened I did the CBT again but on a bike (no certificate at the end) as I did a 2 day.