hi i am booking my cbt soon as i didn't do to well on my last cbt confidence was the problem i have now got the confidence to do it again and been going on friends bikes any help or advice will be appreciated i will pass this time. i want to do my das so that i can get a bigger bike. should i wait to do the das or ride a 125cc for a year or so. :D

If you unsure take a couple of lessons after cbt and see what you think then, chill on the cbt it's not a test you just have to show your safe to be let loose on your own.

Good luck

thank you very much will take some lessons after my cbt.

If you unsure take a couple of lessons after cbt and see what you think then, chill on the cbt it's not a test you just have to show your safe to be let loose on your own.

Good luck

this

If you are over 24 you might as well do the DAS and get the full A licence. If you are under 24 your options are slightly more limited.

hiya i am over 24 and will look at doing my DAS and get the full license thank you for the advice very helpful.

Good luck

this

thanks very much very helpful information

If you are over 24 you might as well do the DAS and get the full A licence. If you are under 24 your options are slightly more limited.

thanks for the advice will do that then

Hi, I did my CBT last month. First time ever on a geared bike, having only ever ridden holiday mopeds some 25 years ago. My main worry was changing gear but that was fairly easy. I cycle a lot so have reasonable balance and for the U-turn and figure 8s you should look where you want to go, and I mean really look, point your head in the direction you want to go and look into the distance, not the wheel. The bike will absolutely go where you're looking.

We had about 3-4 hours doing slow manoeuvres like this and then out onto the road with the instructor. Bearing in mind I have happily descended twisty mountain roads on a pushbike at close to 45-50mph wearing just a helmet and lycra, and rush hour commuting in central London, I was surprised at how nervous I was on the 125, clad in hi-viz armoured jacket, gloves, full face helmet and stout boots, and the all important L-plates.

The instructor was very good however, kept me and the other pupil in close radio contact with a running commentary very close to what you're taught on IAM driving courses, eg "pub car park ahead on left, vehicle emerging" etc.

He picked me up several times on not cancelling the indicators after a turn. Unlike cars, they do NOT self-cancel, and towards the end he was understandably getting snappy with me for this highly dangerous error.

Then my main problem was the hill start - our area in Surrey is quite hilly and my problem was one of habitually putting my right foot down when stopped, which of course you need to hold the bike on the back brake. Eventually I got it sorted and got the CBT certificate.

It was an enjoyable day but I didn't leave with the expected burning desire to go full DAS and get a bike, however six weeks on and I've booked my theory test, bought some boots and looking at other kit with a view to taking DAS and getting a full sized bike after that.

I had thought of getting a little 125 to get some practice on but everyone I've spoken to says the bigger bikes are easier to ride so I may as well put the 125 money towards DAS and a full size machine.

Good luck with your CBT, remember just look where you want to go and relax! And cancel the indicators.

If you feel you've got on ok with your instructor on the CBT, why not chat to him about DAS and which approach would be best for you as your leaving after the CBT? They will have watched you ride and seen how you got on and will have a good idea of which approach will work best for you.

Hi, I did my CBT last month. First time ever on a geared bike, having only ever ridden holiday mopeds some 25 years ago. My main worry was changing gear but that was fairly easy. I cycle a lot so have reasonable balance and for the U-turn and figure 8s you should look where you want to go, and I mean really look, point your head in the direction you want to go and look into the distance, not the wheel. The bike will absolutely go where you're looking.

We had about 3-4 hours doing slow manoeuvres like this and then out onto the road with the instructor. Bearing in mind I have happily descended twisty mountain roads on a pushbike at close to 45-50mph wearing just a helmet and lycra, and rush hour commuting in central London, I was surprised at how nervous I was on the 125, clad in hi-viz armoured jacket, gloves, full face helmet and stout boots, and the all important L-plates.

The instructor was very good however, kept me and the other pupil in close radio contact with a running commentary very close to what you're taught on IAM driving courses, eg "pub car park ahead on left, vehicle emerging" etc.

He picked me up several times on not cancelling the indicators after a turn. Unlike cars, they do NOT self-cancel, and towards the end he was understandably getting snappy with me for this highly dangerous error.

Then my main problem was the hill start - our area in Surrey is quite hilly and my problem was one of habitually putting my right foot down when stopped, which of course you need to hold the bike on the back brake. Eventually I got it sorted and got the CBT certificate.

It was an enjoyable day but I didn't leave with the expected burning desire to go full DAS and get a bike, however six weeks on and I've booked my theory test, bought some boots and looking at other kit with a view to taking DAS and getting a full sized bike after that.

I had thought of getting a little 125 to get some practice on but everyone I've spoken to says the bigger bikes are easier to ride so I may as well put the 125 money towards DAS and a full size machine.

Good luck with your CBT, remember just look where you want to go and relax! And cancel the indicators.

[/quote

hello thank you so much for all the information you gave me i will take your advice and i feel i will pass my cbt next week and like yourself will book my theory and then go for the das and get a bigger bike and definitely try and remember to cancel the indicators lol the info you sent me will really help me to work hard for the cbt next week thanks again.

If you feel you've got on ok with your instructor on the CBT, why not chat to him about DAS and which approach would be best for you as your leaving after the CBT? They will have watched you ride and seen how you got on and will have a good idea of which approach will work best for you.

hello thank you very much spoken to the instructor he recommends do my cbt then theory test then das as i had a practice hour lesson and they said i have very good balance and the skills to be a safe rider . my cbt is next week getting little nervous but hope i can pass it. :crybaby:

hello thank you very much spoken to the instructor he recommends do my cbt then theory test then das as i had a practice hour lesson and they said i have very good balance and the skills to be a safe rider . my cbt is next week getting little nervous but hope i can pass it. :crybaby:

That sounds great :-) After her CBT, they told my missus to go and ride on L plates and come in a year lol.

That sounds great :-) After her CBT, they told my missus to go and ride on L plates and come in a year lol.

is your mrs going to do her das then i want a 450cc honda

Good luck

are you doing your cbt soon to mines next week

No... at least not yet. 2 years on and her CBT has expired and she's still nowhere near ready. Not enough time to practice mainly. And now she's wrecked both achilles tendons, so she's confined the house until she can stop limping. So hopefully retake the CBT next spring and pootle around for another year.

And now she's wrecked both achilles tendons, so she's confined the house until she can stop limping. So hopefully retake the CBT next spring and pootle around for another year.

OUCH :shock: I'd say wishing her a speedy recovery but I seem to recall it's a painfully slow one getting those fixed up. So instead I'll wish her a loud bell and a helpful husband :wink:

No... at least not yet. 2 years on and her CBT has expired and she's still nowhere near ready. Not enough time to practice mainly. And now she's wrecked both achilles tendons, so she's confined the house until she can stop limping. So hopefully retake the CBT next spring and pootle around for another year.

oh dear hope she gets sorted soon and be great if she passes her cbt more ladies on the roads needed lol :D

I didn't do a das course as in pre booked block i did das taking lessons as and when i could fit them in, don't worry about cbt, if you find it too much you can do it again, it aint a test its just an assessment of how safe you are on the road.

I didn't do a das course as in pre booked block i did das taking lessons as and when i could fit them in, don't worry about cbt, if you find it too much you can do it again, it aint a test its just an assessment of how safe you are on the road.

hiya thank you very much for the information i will do my best next week then and hopefully move onto the das soon.