Theory test - hazard perception

Hi all, new here. Done my CBT as a first timer in my 50s and now prepping for my theory test. Regarding the hazard videos, are they as fuzzy in the test as some of the official and unofficial examples online? A few I’ve seen have for example a cyclist or pedestrian that only appear as a tiny smudge at the point you are meant to first notice them. They’re obvious second time round but just wondering if the test videos are a bit sharper?

All CGI now and very clear. Nothing like even the ones that the DVSA have on their learning zone that you can subscribe to.

I did my hazard perception in June and at the end voluntarily did some of the ones they are considering using the future (I had nothing else to do that day and I was feeling nosey....), I'd say the next match are even more realistic.

If you're already a driver then it might be worth clicking when you see the developing hazard, then clicking again a second or two later. This isn't enough to fail for too many clicks/clicking in a pattern, but I always had issues when practising with apparently spotting the hazard too early and not scoring. Better safe than sorry!

This "click once and click again one second later" thing is the best advice you will get on the hazard perception test. Experienced drivers tend to click too early, before the start of the window when the click scores a mark. If you happen to do this, then the second click will bag you the point.

Did mine April this year. All pinsharp. As bender said some are very comical.

I found 3 clicks very effective. Two clicks in quick succession followed by a third. This is not recognised as a pattern. Took my average up from borderline pass/fail to consistently around the 90% mark.

As already mentioned car drivers click too early and you may already know this but you can replay the clip you’ve done, it shows you your clicks and where the scoring band is. So if you rewatch and pause as the footage hits the top of the score band you’ll soon see the moment they want you to identify. It’s a very specific point, they say it’s the moment you take action (roll off the gas or apply the brakes) but if you rewatch the clips you’ve practiced on you’ll very soon get the gist of what is essentially a computer game.

The scoring band timing is not exactly the same for each clip and you can have only 1 second between top marks- a 5 and a pass mark of 3 so don’t leave too long a gap between those clicks, for me the first two were crucial and I did them one immediately after the other ie no gap.

Of course everyone differs in their perception and speed of reaction but that’s what worked for me.

Good luck.

Well that's the theory done and dusted. Aced the 50 questions in just shy of 11 minutes but scraped the hazard spotting. One clip I actually scored zero, but overall enough to pass.

Now I need to work on "you're not getting an effing motorbike" from SWMNNBO. Nice to learn a new skill - like if I took flying lessons I wouldn't necessarily go and buy a plane, just nice to be able to hire one if I wanted.

Have to say, compared to when I did my driving test back in 1981 the system is a lot more thorough and quite glad I did it, if only for the Highway Code refresher. For example, last time I was stopped by the police, in 82, he pulled in front and turned on a Stop sign in his rear window; now they flash headlights and pull up behind. Who knew?