4mph riding straight line

Hello lovely people

So as I ride around I always think in the back of my head about the various things you need to demonstrate in the MOD 1. However one Im not sure about is the riding in a line at 4mph.

I understand how to do it - slight clutch release, near biting point, revs on to help keep you stable, look ahead and tap the back break as required, just like cbt. But 1. my bike makes an almighty racket when I try and practice this, which is to be expected when you're not letting it release i suppose - is it normal for it to be loud and awful sounding?

2. I spend most of my commute crawling, but i never really go at 4mph. its either the tiniest creep ever so im just rolling with the clutch, or i wait until theres a decent gap between me and the car in front and then move, or i just filter lol.

So yeah ramble aside I am just checking that point 1 is correct? its ok if the bike is a bit noisier than normal when doing that manoeuvre?

And yes I'll be doing a bit of lessons on a big bike before taking the test anyway, but I just want to practice too!

There is no need to over rev it if that's where the noise is coming from, just enough so it can cope with slipping the clutch and trying to pull it forward, you could sit on your bike standing still and rew it to 12k its still going to fall over if you lift your feet up.

It's not so much "tapping" on the back brake as "covering" it by applying a constant slight pressure on the pedal....you should just be at the point of applying a small amount of throttle, slipping the clutch to suit and applying a slight pressure on the brake pedal as discussed. No need to be revving the nuts off it...... (but do ladies' bikes have nuts, I wonder?). Don't worry, after a time it will become second nature. But to get back to the original question, what exsctly is the noise? Is it sn over-revving engine or is it a rattly clutch? If it's the clutch, does it rattle at any other time? (Please ignore this if your bike is a Ducati with a dry clutch....)

Yeah.....pretty much covered by the others already.......but what sort of noise is the bike making?....It may be something is loose and is rattling at the rev's that you're holding it at?

Aha.....just been thinking (yes, really!) and I reckon I've sussed out what you are doing....

You say "I understand how to do it - slight clutch release, near biting point, revs on to help keep you stable".......I take this to mean you are pulling the clutch in until it starts to slip.....

What you should be doing is to start with the clutch pulled right in, and let it out gradually until it just starts to bite.....revs on should be minimal, then just above idle when the bike is moving. You'll probably stall it a couple of times until you get a feel for just how much throttle to feed in, but persevere. With a bit of practice, you won't even need very much rear brake, if any. And get into the habit of feet on pegs as soon as possible - it makes the bike much easier to control, even at low speed.

If this isn't the case, and you're already doing it like this, sorry......I will stop trying to think....my Mrs. doesn't like the smell of burning anyway. ...

In crawling traffic I get moving slightly and pull the clutch back in. No faffing, Sorted :thumb:

I use back brake method for u turns or manoeuvring slowly.

In crawling traffic I get moving slightly and pull the clutch back in. No faffing, Sorted :thumb:

This what i usually do, but I dont mess around trying to stay at exactly 4mph, its sometimes such a crawl (just letting the clutch take the bike, no throttle) the speedometer doesnt register haha. Its as soon as i think 'try and control it at 4mph' it goes wrong - possibly overthinking it?

Thanks all!

If you want to get used to riding slow, I highly recommend playing "the floor is lava" game. I play this when I'm commuting, trying to get to and from work without putting a foot on the ground.

It not only improves you slow control as you crawl along so you don't put a foot down. It also helps with forward planning.

Gave some of these tips a go this morning crawling down my close before going onto the main road, revs but not as many as I was initially throwing on worked a charm, straight line and a corner feet up at 4mph. Ta!