Is this a reasonable idea and an instructor in South Birmingham

Hello groovy gang. I seem to be asking a lot of the forum at the moment. It is because I am new.

I would love to do my DAS but can not afford £800 at the moment. I was thinking that some lessons as and when I can afford them might be a good idea, I can practice what I learn on my 125 in the mean time and I would get chance to have a go on a bigger bike.

Is this a daft idea and can anyone recommend any instructors in south Birmingham?

I'd use the 125 while saving up and getting plenty of practice, then have lessons and do the test in one lump. You will remember what the instructor tells you better on your test day that way.

I did a 3 day supercourse and flew through it, things were different then mind {1994) good luck :)

Hello groovy gang. I seem to be asking a lot of the forum at the moment. It is because I am new.

I would love to do my DAS but can not afford £800 at the moment. I was thinking that some lessons as and when I can afford them might be a good idea, I can practice what I learn on my 125 in the mean time and I would get chance to have a go on a bigger bike.

Is this a daft idea and can anyone recommend any instructors in south Birmingham?

What sort of instruction are you looking for?

Eventually (sooner if I could afford it) I would like to take my tests and have a full license. In the mean time I would like to be more competent and I worry that learning for myself and by myself allows me the chance to just grow bad habits.

I rode my 125 for a while before taking my test too and I think it was more important to me than I realised at the time.

It gave me an appreciation for being a "smaller" presence on the road and I mean that about generally having a quieter bike as well as it being smaller in the cars mirrors.

Oh! and on that note, remember how it feels to have the cars take the piss with you while you have L plates, cos you Will notice the difference when they're gone; though this pressure at the moment will make you a better rider.

Then, I learnt a lot about bike maintenance as it's much easier to work on the smaller bikes, so learn to do the 'little' jobs now. Keep the chain maintained, maybe change the sparkplugs, if you're brave and have a good low bucket do an oil change! :mrgreen: Get a 2nd hand haynes manual for your bike and learn the basic maintenance now, it will make a huge difference later!

I think finally, having a small bike for so long (and I then jumped through many small cc bikes) made me appreciate the bigger CC bikes later on SO much more than I would have done otherwise.

Final note, you may have heard this before, but you learn to ride to pass the test, then you learn how to ride properly on the road. So look at the test requirements (especially the slow manoeuvre stuff) and find a nice quite car park to practice, make sure you know what they're going to look for and take this time to make sure you're good at it. :thumb:

Hope this all helps, sorry it's turned into an Essay! :shock:

PM me...

Have tried to do that. The forum says it is in an outbox at present. If it hasn’t worked through to you in an hour I will try something else.

It stays there till the recipient reads it :wink:

Thank you Stu.

No no thank you for the donation :thumb:

I’m getting a lot from here. Seemed fair to buy you a pint for building the place :-)

I would love that pint but all donations go to the hosting costs etc :thumb: