Bit of advise on first road bike please

Hi guys newbie here 40yr old been riding off road for a few years and want to get in the road I will be taking my cbt very soon ,I had a Yamaha dtr for off road so I thought I’d buy a dtr for on road so grabbed a 2001 dtr but I’m now wondering if I should get a different bike for the road .So would any of you guys recommend a dtr for a first road bike or something totally different (I do find the dtr a little high getting on and off due to me being a tad over weight ( 20st) ,been toying with the idea of maybe selling the dtr and grabbing a ktm duke

You should get whatever you feel you would be comfortable riding. Some factors you'll want to think about:

What will be your primary usage for it? Commuting? Riding for fun?

Where will you be taking it? Long distance? Short distance?

How long will you be riding for? Hours on end? Intervals?

I've heard fantastic things about the Duke 125 from a friend of mine, says you can really chuck the thing about (for a 125 at least)

There are plenty of great 125's out there but to know really what might be best for you it would be better if you answer those three questions above, will help others to give a more accurate and fitting answer.

Thanks for replying . The bike will be used for fun only ,probably short rides up to a few hours a time ,live close to a town centre so lots of traffic near me but only 5 mins from country back roads

Thanks for replying . The bike will be used for fun only ,probably short rides up to a few hours a time ,live close to a town centre so lots of traffic near me but only 5 mins from country back roads

I bought a Triumph Tiger 800 for similar types of riding. It does the job superbly.

Lol I was told that I had to do my theory for my cbt which turned out not to be true I have the app on my phone and pass the theory and hazard perception every time with average 100% with the odd single question wrong when I’m not paying attention,was practicing it for hours everyday until I was told it isn’t necessary for the cbt

Cheers for fast reply mike so you have given me something else to consider now ,what would be your thought on what cc to go to as I’m 6ft and 20stone 49 years old and climbing into the dtr is getting harder with it being a tall bike , I did go to my local bike shop looking at 125s is there any bikes you would stay clear of as a first bike and do you have any recommendations on a mid to low seat height style bike

The biggest issue is actually going to be insurance for the first bike. Check out a couple of quotes for some Adventure bikes and maybe a couple of sports bikes and also go and sit on them at dealers. They probably won't let you ride them until you have a full A licence. As I said I chose a Tiger 800 for the same reasons as you, though I'm not as tall or heavy. It took me a little while to get used to the weight and balance but having sussed that I'm really pleased I didn't get anything smaller. Other manufacturers bikes are also available.

I'd concur with what Mike is saying, as you already ride bikes you have experience in the basics of riding a bike, doing some training and going straight for your DAS isn't a bad idea. The jump from a small bike to a big bike can seem quite daunting but really it isn't, I've had friends who have gone from a 125 straight to a 1200 and whilst yes there is a massive difference in power, the fundamentals are all still the same, you just have to be less gunny on the throttle because of the added power.

Obviously the main thing with doing your DAS is the costs involved, doing your bike test is expensive and if it's your first road bike with insurance your rates are going to be through the roof if you start out on a 1200cc bike.

For me I rid for a year and a bit on my 125 before I jumped up to my bigger bike and my insurance isn't ridiculous but it is still expensive for me. You definitely want to do some quotes with insurers first (You can get a very basic idea by doing it online, but you would be much better pressed speaking to insurer's directly)

I imagine you’ll find the 125 very lame very quickly and the DAS will probably suit you as the others are saying you’ve already ridden bikes so have a lot of it down already.

The insurance though will likely be eye watering but only for the first year. My 125cc was £500 for the first year and surprisingly only £125 the next. Ringing the insurance companies will get you better results as you can ask them to better the other companies offer. I was looking at insurance yesterday and a company called ‘Go Skippy’ was half the price of most of the others, and that was without any no claims and no security devices logged.

May well be half the cover though!

Another bonus of DAS if your ready for it (I wasn’t hence staying on a 125 for over a year) is you won’t be riding around with the L plate target on you. Something happens to people when they see it and they’ll do some pretty dumb/thoughtless stuff to get in front of you or worse hover an inch off your back wheel. This behaviour stops when the plate comes off!

Check insurance first you may be surprised the other way, my 125 was under 130 and my 600 was 130.80p, just checked to make sure.

are you sure that is not just for the month left on the policy?

Check insurance first you may be surprised the other way, my 125 was under 130 and my 600 was 130.80p, just checked to make sure.

are you sure that is not just for the month left on the policy?

LOL no def for a full year and that's without any no claims as they wouldn't take the year no claims I got on the 125 into account