CBT done. Is there nothing else?!

Hi guys,

The exciting news for me is I passed my CBT yesterday! I was a complete noob never having had any experience on a motorcycle so to get it all nailed in a day felt great.

How many of you rushed home to finally jump on their bike and take it for a spin straight after their CBT?! NOT ME!

For one I found the day exhausting, both mentally and physically. The physical part I’m sure is down to bad form on my part as I do tend to get very tense when the nerves set in and this translated to fatigued forearms, back and legs by the end of the day.

But apart from all that, I felt a bit scared if I’m honest. A bit kind of overwhelmed like I’ve maybe underestimated the risks involved in riding? Now bare in mind I struggled to hit 30mph so I was hardly flying but every side junction my eyes were on stalks and if a car appeared, a little poo came out :shock:

I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist about things and my clutch control leaves a lot to be desired. This I know is a bit of an insecurity at the moment but I’m desperately wanting to become a good rider. A safe rider not a fast one. Kinda like the police (although I know they can ride fast too).

For me it’s about having that sense of pride in my riding and although I’m doing a lot of theory like reading through the roadcraft book and watching lots of YouTube vids, the application only comes with lots of physical practice.

Having babbled, the long and short of it is what more is there to do besides going out and making mistakes on the road? You learn very quickly by bad mistakes but sometimes they are a little too costly out on the public roads.

I asked the guys at the CBT centre if there was anything else I could do as part of structured physical training and all they tell you is to get out there.

Does it not seem crazy to anyone else that the group of riders who need the tuition the most can’t do anything the fully licenced riders have access to? Do I seriously have to get on a 650 at the test centre and say I’m wanting to do the DAS before I get any more structured learning? If I got on a 650 right now with my clutch and throttle control, bad things would happen!

I’ll be doing a lot of riding around quiet car parks and mastering this skill but I still wish there was more out there on offer for us new riders! It’s a really daunting time for me now. There’s nobody watching my back from now on!

Congratulations and as many others will say- now the learning begins!

Quiet car parks until you feel confident you’ve master the clutch and breaks.

Take a look at MCrider on you tube, he’s a huge fan of car park drills to give people control.

Once you get stuck into it you’ll start to relax it will all become easier.

Nope I did not ride after my CBT- didn’t have a bike! Would have been too tired anyway!

If you're really bad they do fail you - happened to a guy on my course. So the instructors think you're okay which is a great start. You could do a das, ride on your own for a while, or just pay them for another cbt - I'm sure they'll oblige. I suggest the latter. But, riding a bigger bike is really no more difficult that a smaller one though so if you're thinking of doing a das one day just go for it (doesn't sound like it but still). There's lots of manual handling training, slow control etc - it's a good way to learn. It gets easier with practice, like everything, except explaining £150 credit card transactions at 'gentlemen clubs ltd' at 3am to the missus.

Welcome to TMBF mate. ........ 8-)

When I learnt to ride there was no CBT......you just stuck L-plates on a bike up to 250cc and off you went.......admittedly the roads were slightly quieter back then...... :shock:

Anyway......plot a short route near where you live, wait for the evening or very early morning when the traffic is a bit lighter, and give it a go......then gradually extend the route as your confidence grows......you'll be fine..... 8-)

Thanks guys. Glad it’s nothing too abnormal what I’m going through. I suppose this brand new CB125R deserves to be ridden at some point. I’ll do as you say Tango and make it an early one. Sundays are usually great for that, obviously looking out for anyone still high on last nights fizzy apple juice.

As for DAS I definitely want to do it, just so I can do advanced stuff and do a BMW off-road experience day! I’m hoping sometime around April time but I guess a lot depends on the winter we have. I’m sure I can have a few hours under my belt by then. :D

I did my CBT in March. I was mentally done in at the end of the day. I hadn't collected my bike yet but no way would I have been able to go out if it was waiting.

I collected my bike from the dealership and rode it home because the dates available for delivery were meh. Took it as gingerly as you'd imagine, having plotted a slightly convoluted route that I knew would avoid many busy roads. I was getting up to speed but hyper aware of my lack of experience.

Then when I went out after it was always in the evening when things were a touch quieter, and I'd do some quiet roads then get into a car park and do some more practising.

Take it steady and you'll be all over it before you know it :-)

As for clutch, remember unlike a car it's a wet clutch and you can slip it (feather it) much longer than you would a car, and in fact that's the key to reducing your jerkiness. Controlling the clutch through junctions and roundabouts was a big learning point for me (nb don't pull it all the way in whilst manoeuvring, that's bad as I realised when doing slow speed manoeuvres on a big bike :wink: )

Having babbled, the long and short of it is what more is there to do besides going out and making mistakes on the road? You learn very quickly by bad mistakes but sometimes they are a little too costly out on the public roads.

I asked the guys at the CBT centre if there was anything else I could do as part of structured physical training and all they tell you is to get out there.

Does it not seem crazy to anyone else that the group of riders who need the tuition the most can’t do anything the fully licenced riders have access to? Do I seriously have to get on a 650 at the test centre and say I’m wanting to do the DAS before I get any more structured learning? If I got on a 650 right now with my clutch and throttle control, bad things would happen!

I’ll be doing a lot of riding around quiet car parks and mastering this skill but I still wish there was more out there on offer for us new riders! It’s a really daunting time for me now. There’s nobody watching my back from now on!

As for this bit... this is something I have a soap box about :lol:

So I'm now pretty much in my mid-thirties. I have driven since I was 17 and ride my road bike more than I drive a car. I went into my CBT have pretty good road sense, and stuff about positioning for visibility and turns, counter steering etc is all pretty natural for me.

I still found mentally processing the transition to a motorbike draining on the day, hence why I couldn't have gone out and ridden even if I did have a bike waiting. I was the same after any big bike training, it's a long, intense day.

The thought of a young kid with zero road experience doing a couple of hours around cones in a car park, then two hours (assuming they haven't gone with a dodgy school) on a road to just be waved off with a certificate to 'learn by doing' scares the bejesus out of this dad.

Chatting to one of the instructors I had for big bike training, he explained that he refuses to do CBTs because he dealt with too many parents who were upset that he wouldn't give a kid a certificate when he felt they weren't yet ready.

And of course, at the moment if you're 17 there's probably no massive incentive to do your A1 licence and get the extra training because you have all the cost only to ride the same bike for a few years.

So the best you can do is take a bit of pride in your personal development and practice in a car park. Some people won't do that but if you do it'll only make you a better rider.

See, I told you that the topic gets me on a soapbox, and I'm still a novice biker :-)

[mention]DaveG[/mention] I felt exactly the same!! It's normal! having that apprehension is good as you'll be a bit more careful but bad in that you're likely to ride defensive - hugging the kerb is a big no no you need to be centre of your lane and assertive. Do some slow speed riding to get used to the clutch and do small journeys focussing on road position. In a few weeks you'll look back on this and wonder why you were so worried but riding a bike is tough and complacency is dangerous so remember your lifesavers and give yourself more space to cars in front (double for vans / trucks!) :thumb:

Yep you will look back on it with wonder. I was riding along yesterday and had a giggle at my former self when I found myself at the top of a hill that I had resolved when completely new to it (ie my second day out) to never ever go up again as I was never ever going to be able to get the hang of a hill start right turn on an incline that sharp. Had to laugh because I’d already done the manoeuvre before I realised where I was. It’ll come.

Progress made. I actually built up enough confidence to get out on the local roads today. Only about a 2 mile round-trip to a nice big car park at a local secondary school to get some more practice runs in on clutch and throttle control.

Still 2 miles or so on the open roads is gradually developing a willingness to be out more which wasn’t there at all the first time I took out the new bike!

Cheeky picture of todays little outing attached :D

6EAF9B79-4DB7-46F3-95DB-0E0ED1E2C358.thumb.jpeg.7ddcef5fa6250520d44e6813bc3f79c8.jpeg

I remember when I first drove a car I was frustrated with myself for not being skillful enough. I remember thinking "jesus what's wrong with me? even mum can drive OK. I'm really struggling".

The truth is, I was impatient and after a few weeks driving every day I got good at it. Same probably applies to bikes but I was a more experienced road user by then. Keep at it, you WILL get good :thumb:

Will the training provider not do hourly lessons on the 125?

I know the guys i've used in the past are more than willing to give lessons at there normal hourly rate. Wether thats to go for a full lisence or just to polish up on your skills.

That being said, it is very much about getting out there and doing your thing. You'd be surprised just how much you learn on your own with nobody riding up your jacksy yelling down an ear piece.

As for the DAS, it's a hell of alot easier to ride a 600 than it is a 125. The clutch/throttle is more refined and smooth, the weight helps with balance and they arent the beast that some think they are. Some people have a misconception that the slightest twist of the throttle and you'll be poppoing a 120mph wheelie down the road.

That’s true. My 125 feels like a flighty show pony and is definitely harder to control than the bigger bikes I’ve tried.

Car parks are great. Maybe get yourself some markers and have a little practice at some of those exercises. If you can master slalom and figure of eight then you can manage normal road manoeuvres because the control and precision you need to do that means you have what you need to put the bike where you want it.

Make the spacing slightly smaller than they’ll really be and you’ll be laughing in no time. 4.5 metres for the slalom and 6m for the figure of eight are the official numbers. Let us know how you get on :thumb:

I used these. They’re light and easily carried. Don’t forget the tape measure!

https://www.sportsdirect.com/sondico-space-marker-6-pack-840125?colcode=84012599

• 2 weeks later...

Small update for the benefit of anyone in a similar position or just generally interested. The confidence is building slowly but surely.

I’m probably not out as regular as most. Typically just once per week at the moment but I have a lot of commitments to juggle.

That said I managed a 60ish mile round trip on some B-roads without issue at the weekend.

The running in process is a massive bind on a 125 considering there is little power in the first place. That is proving a challenge!

Anyway, Never one to be satisfied I inquired about some extra tuition and for £60 I get 2 hours. What should prove useful is those sessions are designed to bring you on for the test. They’ll take me out on the test centres 650’s which will be awesome but I have to pass my theory first so have booked that in today for 9th October.

Whilst there is perhaps an arguement that some things will be easier on the 650 i think it’s all great exposure. New bike, bigger bike, different bike and it’s all stuff I can take away and apply to my 125 riding.

If I can afford it I’m going to try and do 2 hours most months between now and April and I’m hoping that will give me great confidence and experience to go ahead with taking the direct access course. Will keep you posted

But apart from all that, I felt a bit scared if I’m honest. A bit kind of overwhelmed like I’ve maybe underestimated the risks involved in riding? Now bare in mind I struggled to hit 30mph so I was hardly flying but every side junction my eyes were on stalks and if a car appeared, a little poo came out :shock:

I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist about things and my clutch control leaves a lot to be desired. This I know is a bit of an insecurity at the moment but I’m desperately wanting to become a good rider. A safe rider not a fast one. Kinda like the police (although I know they can ride fast too).

Hey, well done!

However, this was me about 2 moths ago, I passed my CBT, and as soon as I went to look at bikes I was terrified! Even just a mini test ride on a potential bike was anxiety inducing, I guess because you always read the horror stories of motorbikes, plus you're used to feeling protected in a cage (the car), but now you are out in the open.

However, the instructors are right... just lots of practice and time in the seat will help.

Once I got my bike - because im fortunate to live on a housing estate - I started but just doing laps around the estate, getting up to 30 and then back down, indicators on and off (when needed not randomly!!) a few left turns and right turns. As I got braver, I found routes through the estates with tighter turns and narrow roads where I;d need to stop and give way. Once that got boring, ventured out onto some bigger roads, added in roundabouts... routes requiring 40... a few small hills with easier hill starts and then finally doing the commute to work!

I was still a bit nervous doing this, but once this came old familiar it was easier to plan how to do some filter work, and have more confidence in stopping on a steeper hill (125s need a fair bit of encouragement! lol).

One day on some leave I threw myself in at the deep end and went to meet biking friends in another town, meaning 60mph roads, bendy country roads, dual carriageways...we spent hours on the bike and I loved every minute of it. It changed me as a rider for sure and Im much more content doing any route! Which is why Im now on to my MOD1

So in short, definitely just do little journeys at a time, add things in as you get braver. And dont rush yourself, you have 2 years to stay on a CBT and improve your skill, and no-one is perfect overnight. Even now I sometimes make mistakes like dropping down a gear too fast or some lightly questionable clutch work that makes the change a bit jerky. I think I stalled on Monday (i cant remember what I was doing but it was 100% a daft mistake!)! It happens, and that's ok. People should see the L plate and respect you are learning.