First sighting session on a big bike

So much fun!

Using a Gladius 650

It was only doing the faffy stuff like weaving around cones and figure of 8 etc, but so much better than the 125 dare I say :P I have another sighting out on the road next week then Im in for my MOD 1 the weekend after! Fun times :D

[mention]learningtofly[/mention] you’ll be dandy. Look forward to hearing all about it. What time is your test on Friday?

I’m not sure until I get there next week. I didn’t know if I’d prefer it to be first thing or have it later in the day, after a practice.

I will have had my hornet 3 weeks on Saturday and done nearly 600 miles on it - It is so much better than my little 125.

Good luck with the Mod 1 - Try and relax and only set off for each little test part when you feel ready to. There is no need to rush.

Fingers crossed for you!

I think after being on a 125, going up to a 650 can seem intimidating as it’s a much bigger engine, but as soon as you get on a bigger bike you wonder what you were worried about and end up enjoying it.

Definitely this!

I didnt really notice the fact it was more powerful and heavy... I don't think the bike registered me on it at all so made it easier to do tight manoeuvres :P

I think after being on a 125, going up to a 650 can seem intimidating as it’s a much bigger engine, but as soon as you get on a bigger bike you wonder what you were worried about and end up enjoying it.

Definitely this!

I didnt really notice the fact it was more powerful and heavy... I don't think the bike registered me on it at all so made it easier to do tight manoeuvres :P

Yeah, I agree, once you've initially gotten used to riding a bike, going up to a bigger one isn't nearly as scary as when you start out.

Also the bikes riding schools use tend to be great for manouvering on and slow control stuff, back when I did my test it was on a CB500 and it was really easy to get on and ride, best of luck with the test btw :thumb: .

Yeah, I agree, once you've initially gotten used to riding a bike, going up to a bigger one isn't nearly as scary as when you start out.

Also the bikes riding schools use tend to be great for manouvering on and slow control stuff, back when I did my test it was on a CB500 and it was really easy to get on and ride, best of luck with the test btw :thumb: .

Thanks! :)

I was surprised by the gladius, very low to the ground, I could pretty much flat foot it, which I can't on the 125 (or most other bikes!). Comfortable ride. Off for a proper bimble on it next week before doing MOD practice on the Saturday, and then the test on Monday morning.

Had a second one yesterday!

This time the SV...because it was already parked in the yard hah. Mainly going on the road as we have to ride down to the test centre so they had to make sure I was competent around other road users I guess, and it gave insight into how Id fare on a MOD 2.

Was a good ride! The wind was pretty appalling between all the villages so that took a lot of the fun away though, the bike was fairly stable minus the odd gust. It was mainly my having to try and stay in the seat as the wind knocked me around! But I kept control! :) Overall enjoyed it though, enjoyed having to barely use the throttle to get some speed, slower manoeuvres no problem, even going round a weird car park with cobbles and a roundabout thing in the middle (the instructor was hungry and that was the nearest co-op lol).

Sounding good. I too get pushed about by the wind a bit even though the bikes well planted. It lessens with time, dropping your body down so you’re not upright like a sail helps a enormously especially on a naked bike. I’m 50kg and 5’4” so when you’re explaining things I often think oh yeah me too. Be careful on the motorway in winds, even though I was aware I needed to be careful passing high sided vehicles it still caught me by surprise so I’d pick a fairly windless day to try that out :thumb:

It’s all go ay!

Be careful on the motorway in winds, even though I was aware I needed to be careful passing high sided vehicles it still caught me by surprise so I’d pick a fairly windless day to try that out......

It's not just on windy days.....big vehicles generate a pressure wave at high speeds and you will notice this even in still conditions....other than that, yeah, go with the flow, keep things under control but don't fight the bike....you will just get tensed up. You need to be relaxed (but not that much, obvs... :thumb: ).

[mention]Slowlycatchymonkey[/mention] I reckon on going for my DAS late spring. I'm enjoying the bike I have and for the job I want it to do I can't fault it or justify changing it. I would love to know what it feels like though on a bigger bike. 😀

You lot make it sound so fun.

Mind you my lovely Chinese crap thing is fab and so good in the town traffic (when I say in I mean sailing past)