What would you guys do???

Hi guys i am not sure what to do long story made short I am 39 year old and at the minute i work night shift 4 on 4 off permanently.

I did in the past get lifts into work, and home from a lad on my team but the old bugger has now retired. The net result is i am now doing the journey by bus and its taking me 1 hour 45 mins too 2hours to get into work and i am having to use two buses. Its an utter ball ache as on weekends have to leave the house on a Saturday at 7pm and on a Sunday at 6pm. I get into work at 9 pm and i don't start till 10pm. Coming home on a Saturday morning or Sunday is just as much of a pain i finish at 7am and there are no buses until 745am. I have being using public transport for a few months now and i am pig sick of buses with pissheads/or youngens off there boxes, dead time etc etc etc

I live in Co Durham and basically get a bus into Durham city then from here hop straight on another bus to Sunderland.

I live 23 miles away from work i don't drive, i do have a provisional licence as i was taking driving lessons last year. By car the journey normally takes about 30-40 mins.

What route would you guys go down? I had when i was about 23/24 years old an Aprilia rs125 (unrestricted) and i had it for about 8-12 months before it got binned after it costing me a fortune and constantly breaking. As my username suggests i would love a Daytona 675, but whats the best route to go down?

Can i do my cbt then buy a restrictor kit and use it on a 600 or 700 cc bike?? Budget wise my other half has said she will lend me 4000 quid r

Would doing my cbt be a better option then buying a 125 again??? (bear in mind i am 6 foot 2 tall and weigh around 95kg)

I want something not super quick but reliability is key, finishing work at silly times in the morning is the main reason i am apprehensive re 125's.

Hello and welcome :cheers:

Can i do my cbt then buy a restrictor kit and use it on a 600 or 700 cc bike??

Short answer: no.

Long answer, you'll need to do a CBT first this limits you to a 125 with L plates no motorways no pillions.

As you're over 24 you can do the DAS test which will let you ride anything.

You'll need to do a bike specific theory test then a Mod 1 (slow speed manoeuvres) and then Mod2 (road test).

All of the above will probably cost you around 800 - 900 depending on how much tuition you need for the DAS.

You should be able to get some decent gear for around 300 - 400 which leaves you a healthy budget for bike and insurance :thumb:

Cbt and 125 is your quickest way to get mobile, if you buy something good it won't loose much if and when you do das and get bigger bike, you have a good stretch dual carriageway that will soon get boring on a 125 your limited to a whopping 15hp with cbt

Hmm, I don't agree with [mention]geofferz[/mention] on this one.

For commuting, you want something reliable, and probably cheap to run too. For riding in winter, you want to avoid bikes that are finely-tuned, go for something that is stable and easy to ride, because riding on greasy winter roads isn't that great on a bike that's designed for the track. You'll also want something that isn't very beautiful, cos winter trashes a bike.

If you can do most of the commute at under 60mph, a 125 will be perfect: Just get the CBT and then buy yourself a 125 that's a decent size, from a reliable manufactory such as Honda or Yamaha. A Yamaha MT125 isn't a bad call, or a Honda Varadero 125 - both fit the bill. But if you have to go on dual carriageways, then a 125 can feel really underpowered, and you'll be happier getting the full licence and a reliable, practical 600 - there are dozens that fit the bill. This route will cost more on training and insurance, but the bike will probably cost less (depending on what you get).

Okay this has given me some bits and pieces to think about it. About 10miles of it is dual carriage way. I am going to a few bike shops at the weekend so I will do abit research. When my mate was on about restrictor kits is that more for youngens that are not old enough to ride a bigger cc bike.

re Kit someone mentioned this before luckily I still a lot of it in my parents loft, I would just need some gloves and a new jacket, lid I have an agv one and I have some leather trousers and sidi boots.

When my mate was on about restrictor kits is that more for youngens that are not old enough to ride a bigger cc bike.

Yup if you're under 24 you're limited to an A2 license.

There's some black magic involved with working out what power output you can ride - its around 30 odd kw I think... anyway if you're planning to upgrade to an unlimited license at some point you can buy restrictor kits to limit more powerful bikes to the required kw output.

There's also rules about how much you can limit a Bike, I forget what it is but you can't, for example, restrict an R1 (approx 120kw) to an A2 compliant bike.

But something like a 600 Bandit would probably be ok to restrict :thumb:

Thank you for all the posts and advice👍

My plan is set

Payday i am going to book in and do my theory test. I have been swotting up on my way home from work. Will get that out the asap

Then the plan is theory then is Cbt then lessons for the direct access.

I would love a Daytona but i think from talking to a mate its going to be a years wait. My mate said an SV 650 Sukuki or Yamaha Fazer would be a good bike to start with just for a year too get some experience. Get the insurance cheaper i doubt my 1 years no claims from my Aprilia will still stand ie back in 2003/2004.

As i said in an earlier post i did have an Aprilia for a bit but i havent ridden in years. Good plan????

Not had plan, I would keep an eye out for cheap 125 Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki then once you have your CBT you can get to work on that.

Cheap fuel efficient, if you have it a year it will help with insurance.

You might find that it is quick enough for your commute, still do your DAS and then get bigger bike as well :)

First big bike don't get hung up on it affordable known history and will do job. Chances are you still drop it.

Save yourself money in the long run- do the cbt and ride a 125 to get experience and confidence- get your theory test done and do your module 1 +2 instead of the das route which is around £600. As long as your not using motorways or carrying passengers a 125 sounds ideal (running costs for commuting). Once you have the other licenses you can then look at other bikes- I bought a Yamaha wr125R for a cbt compliant bike, and no doubt when I sell I should get what I paid back and upgrade to the wr250x/r for a few quid on top.

I spoke to my instructor and he says that unless I’m desperate to get on a bigger bike (which I’m not) then this is the most cost effective way to go- you can pay for the odd lesson here and there if need be

As I read the situation in my opinion is you plan on using a 125 to gain a year's no claims then I I would ride it on the cbt then whilst the cbt is still valid do the theory mod 1 and mod 2 also I would suggest getting a new lid as if the lid you have was when you had the 125 in 03/04 then the foam in the helmet will have deteriorated and will not offer the necessary protection

my first year insurance on 125 didnt count to anything for bigger bike, [mention]Daytona79[/mention] I think as you already have some experience das is the way to go, those are fast and busy sections of dual carriageway a 125 wouldn't be comfortable, fz6 was one of the cheapest I could find to insure, early ones are a little viby, s2 has all of the niggles fixed if you can stretch to one.

As I read the situation in my opinion is you plan on using a 125 to gain a year's no claims then I I would ride it on the cbt then whilst the cbt is still valid do the theory mod 1 and mod 2 also I would suggest getting a new lid as if the lid you have was when you had the 125 in 03/04 then the foam in the helmet will have deteriorated and will not offer the necessary protection

I will invest in a new one thanks i didnt think of that, its being in a box in the loft for years thanks. I am getting more and more swayed too the 125 route as at least then i can get on the road quicker. It will also give me chance to continually build my experience levels then i can do a bigger bike lessons say 2-3 times a month while learning on a 125. I am thinking either a Honda Varadero 125 or a Yamaha mt125. I do not like the looks of the mini rossi replicas or suzuki boy racer 125's.

I am getting more and more swayed too the 125 route as at least then i can get on the road quicker. It will also give me chance to continually build my experience levels then i can do a bigger bike lessons say 2-3 times a month while learning on a 125. I am thinking either a Honda Varadero 125 or a Yamaha mt125. I do not like the looks of the mini rossi replicas or suzuki boy racer 125's.

This is pretty much the route I took... CBT done and then a 125 to just get used to biking, seems all amazing and great til you get more confident and go out on big roads and you realise the 125 isn't so wonderful at that, so then you know it's time to get the Mod 1 and 2 in! :) plus at least with experience of riding the 125 behind you, you already know the basics of riding, so you can focus on the road instead of the bike.

Also my current CBR Repsol is a 125 so I'll try to ignore the Rossi comment :P

I am getting more and more swayed too the 125 route as at least then i can get on the road quicker. It will also give me chance to continually build my experience levels then i can do a bigger bike lessons say 2-3 times a month while learning on a 125. I am thinking either a Honda Varadero 125 or a Yamaha mt125. I do not like the looks of the mini rossi replicas or suzuki boy racer 125's.

This is pretty much the route I took... CBT done and then a 125 to just get used to biking, seems all amazing and great til you get more confident and go out on big roads and you realise the 125 isn't so wonderful at that, so then you know it's time to get the Mod 1 and 2 in! :) plus at least with experience of riding the 125 behind you, you already know the basics of riding, so you can focus on the road instead of the bike.

Also my current CBR Repsol is a 125 so I'll try to ignore the Rossi comment :P

Sorry i didnt mean anything bad Elizabeth its just not for me, i did used to have a Rossi replica Aprilia along time ago the only difference was 25kg lol.

Hi guys i am not sure what to do long story made short I am 39 year old and at the minute i work night shift 4 on 4 off permanently.

I did in the past get lifts into work, and home from a lad on my team but the old bugger has now retired. The net result is i am now doing the journey by bus and its taking me 1 hour 45 mins too 2hours to get into work and i am having to use two buses. Its an utter ball ache as on weekends have to leave the house on a Saturday at 7pm and on a Sunday at 6pm. I get into work at 9 pm and i don't start till 10pm. Coming home on a Saturday morning or Sunday is just as much of a pain i finish at 7am and there are no buses until 745am. I have being using public transport for a few months now and i am pig sick of buses with pissheads/or youngens off there boxes, dead time etc etc etc

I live in Co Durham and basically get a bus into Durham city then from here hop straight on another bus to Sunderland.

I live 23 miles away from work i don't drive, i do have a provisional licence as i was taking driving lessons last year. By car the journey normally takes about 30-40 mins.

What route would you guys go down? I had when i was about 23/24 years old an Aprilia rs125 (unrestricted) and i had it for about 8-12 months before it got binned after it costing me a fortune and constantly breaking. As my username suggests i would love a Daytona 675, but whats the best route to go down?

Can i do my cbt then buy a restrictor kit and use it on a 600 or 700 cc bike?? Budget wise my other half has said she will lend me 4000 quid r

Would doing my cbt be a better option then buying a 125 again??? (bear in mind i am 6 foot 2 tall and weigh around 95kg)

I want something not super quick but reliability is key, finishing work at silly times in the morning is the main reason i am apprehensive re 125's.

If you're not looking for speed but for a workhorse that will last you a long time you do have a few options, the cheapest and easiest would be doing your CBT and then getting a 125cc bike. The more expensive would be CBT -> DAS -> Get a bike.

Two very well renowned bikes for being very reliable:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/suzuki/gs125/1982/ GS125

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/cg125/1975/ CG125

Both of these are renowned for having bulletproof engines that just go on for years so long as you look after them.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/cbr125r/2004/ CBR125 - Something a little more modern, the CBR125, can't go wrong here either, bit more sporty yes but again I've seen these bikes last forever and ever.

This gives you a good idea as to who is the most reliable out there as well (Keep in mind this is from 2015 so numbers will have changed since then)

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/who-makes-the-most-reliable-motorcycle/index.htm

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/cbr125r/2004/ CBR125 - Something a little more modern, the CBR125, can't go wrong here either, bit more sporty yes but again I've seen these bikes last forever and ever.

This gives you a good idea as to who is the most reliable out there as well (Keep in mind this is from 2015 so numbers will have changed since then)

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/who-makes-the-most-reliable-motorcycle/index.htm

I agree, my cbr seems to have had a tough history but still going strong!