Failed my CBT :(

I know you can't fail your CBT and that it's continuous assessment, however after reading so much about the CBT and talking to friends who had done it and got the cert from having never touched a bike before..I thought it was a slam dunk.

I also had never ridden a bike before, but had been a diligent student on the run up to the day. Learning about riding bikes, the controls and watching all kinds of videos. I got a little obsessed. The day went well, and my instructor was ex-police so was full of countless stories of horrific motorbike accidents he's attended due to people being silly on bikes.

I got to grips fairly well with the controls but, as I'd never done it before it did take quite a lot of concentration remembering the dance between the clutch, accelerator, gears and brakes. I could perform everything in the car park fairly competently - mirrors, indicate, lifesaver pull up to a left and right turning junction - the uturn, controlled slow movements, got to grips with going through the gears.

Then it was time to go out on the road. I was nervous but mostly excited. Being a pretty competent and safe motorist and cyclist I'm confident on the road and very aware of my surroundings. I naturally check my mirrors a lot and look around me and from being a cyclist know to hold my position in the road.

The trouble came when we stopped to do the u-turn on a quiet section of road. I don't know what happened but I just couldn't complete it without putting my foot down. In the car park it was no problem, perhaps it was the road camber or me looking down too much. The instructor told me that I had to be able to do it to move on and I think that just flustered me a little more and it just didn't happen. I also didn't cancel my indicators about half of the time while being out on the road.

And that's how I didn't get my cbt first time. It's disappointing because I'm eager to move forward and because of everything I heard about most people getting it first time. It's a faff to have to organise going back again for a day and going through it all again but I guess it's all in the name of being a safe biker on the road.

I see countless bikers fail to remember to cancel indicators (and not just ones with L plates) so don't beat yourself up too much about that. Just think of it as training for when you go back and do it again :thumb:

Chap on my CBT had a similar issue. For him the truck was to look at where he wanted to be. As soon as he looked towards where he was wanting to end up the rest just worked..

Frustrating to be in need of repeating but at least you can be confident that the assessors think you are up to it.

Agree with all the above. You will get good at it with more practice.

Even when I'm not indicating, after a turn, my thumb comes out and presses the indicator button automatically :lol:

Because I'm stupid, lazy, no money other priorities etc etc I have done a few cbts. 1st was when I was 19 on a 50cc moped. I was bricking it but passed. About 5 years later I wanted to start riding properly so booked a cbt and I failed miserably. It was my first time using a clutch and I just couldn't get it. 3 others on the course were belting around and I just couldnt get to grips at all. It put me off bikes completely and it was another 5/6 years before I tried again. It was like night and day this time, in fact we spent the last 15 minutes of the on-road bit in Mcdonalds as the Instructor was more than confident in my safety :lol:

No indicators on my bike same as my AUDI :angel12:

Thats not true, I saw an Audi just the other day parked on double yellow lines outside a Coffee shop, it had all four of its indicators going, not sure where the driver was though :scratch:

No indicators on my bike same as my AUDI :angel12:

Thats not true, I saw an Audi just the other day parked on double yellow lines outside a Coffee shop, it had all four of its indicators going, not sure where the driver was though :scratch:

They aren't indicators!!

they are park anywhere lights :D

It's very easy to have complete brain fart on these things and have to redo it. Riding a motorbike isn't natural at all and some times just takes a bit longer to get the hang of it.

Also in the easier said than done advice column try relax - tensing up makes turning much harder!

We look forward to you telling us you've passed the next one!

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE MY CBT :D

As of 2 hours ago I was handed my DL196 by the wonderful guys at Phoenix Motorcycle Training at Crystal Palace. Over the moon to now be able to get on the road and start biking.

First thing get a bike, as this will be my daily commuter I'm looking at the ever reliable Honda CBF.

But the MUTT, Herald, Hanway bikes and the rest of those retro style bikes are a bit of eye candy, but not sure if it's really the choice for a reliable commute.

Any words of wisdom from expert two-wheelers? I think I know the answer.

Sit on them. I really liked the look of a cruiser style bike where I passed my CBT. They had another bike same price more like a sports bike but not fully faired. Sat on both and knew immediately which one to get ans it was not the eye candy one.

Congratulations :cheers:

Generally I’m a considered sort of person but I wanted the Hilts Mutt so badly I didn’t even sit on it before I bought it :oops: I saw a picture, suddenly unexpectedly had the money to buy a bike and badly wanted to ride so I rang the dealer and paid over the phone quickly before I woke up and discovered it was all a dream or worse something else cropped up that required the cash. I didn’t even know you had to have a CBT when I bought it :oops:

If someone else did what I did I’d now think wally why didn’t they do the research? Excitement can certainly cloud your judgment. Then again I love that bike and hadn’t felt excitement like that since I was a kiddy. Wouldn’t change that experience for anything, still makes me happy to think of it now.

I like the look of the Mutt.....those knobbly tyres look so cool. But - if you think that looks good (and - don't mind starting a sentence with a conjunction (!)), have a gander at the Suzi Van Van. That looks like a real hoot. But as others have said, you won't go far wrong with the Honda. Choices, choices. :scratch:

• 3 weeks later...

I brought a brand new mutt and they leak fuel if you fill it up. I mean literally pour fuel all over the engine, over the air cylinder.. Very dangerous, terribly made. I would avoid mutt motorcycles at all costs. I had a 250 but hear the 125s have the same design fault..

Anyone else experienced a pool of petrol by your feat because you put more than hall a tank in..