Failed Mod 2 - 3rd Attempt - Update Failed again!

Hello there.

I am new at the forum...

I started riding 1 year ago (CBT) and three months from now decided to pursue my License.

I thought I would fail Mod1, but was a breeze! Passed with no minors.

Then came the Mod2 on the same day. I was nervous as hell... Pulled left after turning right. Forgot the indicator on! Boom!

Rescheduled. 2nd attempt: Got a miserable person as the examiner. For some reason, my test lasted for about 50 minutes (was very long). I thought I had passed, since there was no obvious problem.

When we came back, I was told I had failed for "cutting corners" while turning right onto a road that had cars parked on both sides... Anyways, I didn't even argue, but it really brought me down, specially because I just had 2 minors on that ride.

Rescheduled once again. 3rd attempt yesterday: Got the same guy as before. Somehow, he remembered me! He took me to a route I have never ridden before. I ended up, while on a line of cars turning right, going through the signal while it was amber when he thinks I should have stopped (so do I, to be fair. I just realised when it was already too late to stop). I didn't even get angry at this failure, because I knew I had screwed it up.

I ride a 125 on daily basis. Every instructor I had (2 so far) and even the examiner from those 2 attempts mentioned before, said my riding is very good. The instructor explicitly mentioned that "You need to take the right decisions". Easy right?!?

Any recommendations of how to induce yourself towards taking better decisions (I don't know... Maybe saying to yourself the next 2/3 movements)?

Did anyone here failed for 3 times the Mod2? You start doubting yourself, to be fair...

Edited by Seidinger1986

Hey [mention]Seidinger1986[/mention]

I failed my car test three times if it helps :) But joking aside, loads of people will be in the same boat as you.

If it helps, reading what you've written you have the right mindset. You're being reflective and not ranting and raving about some outside influence that means your failing. The main thing from here is to not like that reflection become doubt and tenseness in your riding.

The advice I always give (and if I feel like I'm riding badly I remind myself of) is slow in, fast out.

On your test on approach to a hazard (eg junction you're turning into, roundabout, parked car on your side of the road etc.) drop it down a few mph slower than you normally would. Not enough to look like your dawdling or hold up traffic behind you. But it gives you plenty of time to assess. Aim to go but plan to stop.

Then after you passed the hazard, acclerate confident and briskly to a safe speed.

This gives you more time to assess and make that right decision your instructor is talking about. You'll look very confident to the examiner too with good anticipation.

The good news is you can practice this on your 125 every time you ride.

Practical examples for each of your three failures:

1. You complete your turn, part of your slowing down is you mentally repeating that you need to cancel that indicator and then briskly accelerate
  2. You slow to a crawl, you are effectively doing slow control ala mod 1, you turn in whilst neatly slipping that clutch, assess ahead as you enter the junction, check blind spot then move out and around the first parked car then briskly accelerate
  3. You see the light ahead is green and has been the whole time you've been approaching, so you know it's very likely to change. You knock a few mph off and are planning to stop, but aiming to go. As you pass the light you glance in your mirrors then accelerate back up to the speed limit

Keep your chin up :thumb:

To be honest, I think you've just been a bit unlucky. I got a grumpy examiner for my first mod 2, and failed (my error, fair enough). I got a more easy-going guy on the second attempt and also made mistakes, but he could see that my riding was basically ok, so he put them down as minors. Have another bash, and you should get through :thumb:

To be honest, I think you've just been a bit unlucky. I got a grumpy examiner for my first mod 2, and failed (my error, fair enough). I got a more easy-going guy on the second attempt and also made mistakes, but he could see that my riding was basically ok, so he put them down as minors. Have another bash, and you should get through :thumb:

Cheers mate.

What makes me even worse is the fact every single person who did the test the same day as me, passed! All of them got nice blokes and I always get the grumpy, miserable bloke! haha

Cheers mate.

What makes me even worse is the fact every single person who did the test the same day as me, passed! All of them got nice blokes and I always get the grumpy, miserable bloke! haha

Haha. Well you took the hit the for them. :thumb: I guess they all owe you beers. :cheers:

Cheers mate.

Haha. Well you took the hit the for them. :thumb: I guess they all owe you beers. :cheers:

Hahaha...

Will chase them for them beers! :cheers:

Hey @Seidinger1986

I failed my car test three times if it helps :) But joking aside, loads of people will be in the same boat as you.

If it helps, reading what you've written you have the right mindset. You're being reflective and not ranting and raving about some outside influence that means your failing. The main thing from here is to not like that reflection become doubt and tenseness in your riding.

The advice I always give (and if I feel like I'm riding badly I remind myself of) is slow in, fast out.

On your test on approach to a hazard (eg junction you're turning into, roundabout, parked car on your side of the road etc.) drop it down a few mph slower than you normally would. Not enough to look like your dawdling or hold up traffic behind you. But it gives you plenty of time to assess. Aim to go but plan to stop.

Then after you passed the hazard, acclerate confident and briskly to a safe speed.

This gives you more time to assess and make that right decision your instructor is talking about. You'll look very confident to the examiner too with good anticipation.

The good news is you can practice this on your 125 every time you ride.

Practical examples for each of your three failures:

1. You complete your turn, part of your slowing down is you mentally repeating that you need to cancel that indicator and then briskly accelerate
  2. You slow to a crawl, you are effectively doing slow control ala mod 1, you turn in whilst neatly slipping that clutch, assess ahead as you enter the junction, check blind spot then move out and around the first parked car then briskly accelerate
  3. You see the light ahead is green and has been the whole time you've been approaching, so you know it's very likely to change. You knock a few mph off and are planning to stop, but aiming to go. As you pass the light you glance in your mirrors then accelerate back up to the speed limit

Keep your chin up :thumb:

Thanks man. Valuable feedback!!! Will practice with that in mind.

A bit hard to feel very confident after the three failures, tho! I just want to get this over :x

hey! I also think you were a bit unlucky especially on the Amber light. on my test the light went to Amber at the exact cut off point of where I felt I could safely stop. I checked how far the instructor was behind me and remembered all that emergency stop practice.

Stopped a whisker before the line and after getting myself settled the examiner said over the radio "haha I bet you're glad this isn't a two way radio!"

Afterwards he said he would have allowed it if I had gone through - I said if it was wet I would have!

Love your attitude though so fingers crossed you don't get the grumpy one next time!!

Amber means stop if your able, if the examiner thinks you could have stopped then that's that unfortunately.

Sounds like your control is fine but also sounds like you may be riding on auto pilot, keep at it and talk yourself through every move your making, don't stop till your bike is parked up and your off it.

Good luck for the next one.

Amber means stop if your able, if the examiner thinks you could have stopped then that's that unfortunately.

Sounds like your control is fine but also sounds like you may be riding on auto pilot, keep at it and talk yourself through every move your making, don't stop till your bike is parked up and your off it.

Good luck for the next one.

Good insight, actually... That might be one of the reasons I screwed it up those times, thinking retrospectively.

But then, what's the correct way of fixing "riding on autopilot"? Consciously repeat the next steps in my head?!?

One way to move away from autopilot is to describe everything as you do it. The more detail the better.

Exactly!!!................talk to yourself all the time, junction coming up, get into position, mirror, gear, etc etc. Forget about the instructor, try and leave him behind.............without speeding of course.

My instructor was miles behind me, he kept saying "pull over at the next safest opportunity" :D :D

I was lucky I think.

The re-frame here is that you will have so much experience under pressured conditions, that when (and I mean when) you finally pass..............you will probably want to do your advanced.

Keep at it pal..............fingers crossed next time is the one. :thumb:

Some very good advice so far - I agree that telling yourself what you should be doing, throughout the ride, is very helpful (probably think it rather than say it, though - or at least say it very quietly - as you'll be talking over the examiner otherwise).

Best of luck with the next one, and don't get disheartened. Its good experience, if not what you'd have chosen as an outcome.

Thanks for all the valuable feedback, guys.

Does anybody know how long the Mod1 last?

I really want to pass next time, but in the case that I don't and I need to carry on doing, the weather might turn for the worse and I might need to postpone the next attempt...

I really want to pass next time, but in the case that I don't and I need to carry on doing, the weather might turn for the worse and I might need to postpone the next attempt...

Normally no more than 10 minutes.

Just realised my question was SHITE! hahahah

How long does it stay valid for, I meant... :cheers:

Just realised my question was SHITE! hahahah

How long does it stay valid for, I meant... :cheers:

It's valid for as long as your theory test pass certificate is.

eg if you have 18 months to go until your theory test expires, you have 18 months before your mod 1 pass is invalid.

eg if you have 18 months to go until your theory test expires, you have 18 months before your mod 1 pass is invalid.

:stupid:

or on the flip side if your theory is only valid for 2 days start panicking :lol:

:stupid:

or on the flip side if your theory is only valid for 2 days start panicking :lol:

hahaha

Thanks God I've done my Theory 1 month before my Mod 1, which was done 2 months ago...

I think it's valid for a couple of years.

Really?!?

Gov's website is very confusing in that regard:

c18NoZ4.png

Being DAS, I probably don't fall into the latter. So it seems as it is valid as long as my theory test is valid, right?

I wuz wrong. From that, it looks like you've got 6 months.

I think it's valid for a couple of years.

Really?!?

c18NoZ4.png

Being DAS, I probably don't fall into the latter. So it seems as it is valid as long as my theory test is valid, right?

That's progressive access only.

Really?!?

c18NoZ4.png

That's progressive access only.

Progressive access == A1 -> A2 or A2 -> DAS is that it?!?