A sad day! (MOD 2)

Soooo I was avoiding this forum for a while to focus on just riding the bike and doing my mOD 2.

It was today. EVERYTHING was going fine. Halfway through the ride, I was waiting at a roundabout for a gap, and to my right another car was indicating left to go the way Id just come from. They didnt move, so off I went (i was going straight on).

Only the stupid £$^&* basicslly had the wrong indicator on, and proceeded to go all the way round the roundabout with that indicator on :o

I noticed this as i went to do a lifesaver and wondered why the f**k that car was behind me and not the examiner. I figured i failed at that point. Proceeded to continue the test.

Got back, yep I failed, and what makes it worse he said it was otherwise a great ride and I had NO minors! :evil: He was nice, and did try and encourage me to book back in for a re test asap as I can clearly control the bike and know what to do.

I've cried it out (frustrated tears mainly) and im just angry now that someone else's stupidness that I cant really control ruined a good test! I wish Id got some minors so i could feel like i have stuff to work on, but it's nothing! Maybe Ill get better at reading driver's minds next time!

Sorry to hear about the fail. Drivers are totally moronic on roundabouts, don't indicate, indicate incorrectly, in wrong lane. You'll ace it next time!

Yeah both the examiner and my instructor said it sucks when something happens you cant control. It didnt help the examiner being further back could see the change in direction which i guess makes it a pretty good fail for him! What I dont know is if the driver had to break to allow for me to go, as I say they hadnt moved when I decided to go, and maybe changed their mind about where they wanted to go once on the roundabout so may have been crawling at that point.

Gutted I did two very beautiful hill starts for nothing hahah :P

It's unfortunate but it is your responsibility to make sure the car is going where its indicating, you can't take anything for granted, until the car is committed to turning left and you can see it as such then its not safe to pull out, had the car gone quicker and not seen you then the wrong indicator would have been of little solace to you laying on the ground and under the front of said car.

If the car is stopped with an indicator on and all else is clear and you pulling out is safe then it's fine otherwise think of the car as a shield, as its starting to turn but still taking up space on the roundabout nothing can get through the car, doesn't apply if it's multi lane roundabout.

Treat roundabouts with caution, slow in see if you can time your arrival with a gap and fast out get clear of any danger.

It's a fine line between hesitation and putting yourself at risk especially when your relying on someone else's judgment.

Sorry to read about the fail it sucks but it might be a lesson that will save you one day, good luck with the re test

Edited by Bender

The way some people think they should indicate at roundabouts is just plain stupid , have not got a fooking clue.

Or your behind a car and every roundabout you come to it has to stop even though there are no other vehicles on the roundabout , I was behind one this morning :roll:

If the car is stopped with an indicator on and all else is clear and you pulling out is safe then it's fine

This is what happened - their indicator was on but had stopped at the roundabout before I decided to go, Im guessing as I pulled off they also pulled off though. The second between me pulling out and my lifesaver is what i dont know, but the examiner does! Im not saying he is wrong by the way, its just the way it is and it sucks that other people on the road have forgotten their training!

It's a fine line between hesitation and putting yourself at risk especially when your relying on someone else's judgment.

Agree, id rather have a driving fault for hesitating and pass than a fat fail for taking a risky gap.

Hi Elizabeth - sorry to hear about this.....but.......

......The second between me pulling out and my lifesaver.........

....have a think about this......if you're pulling out you must be certain you're not heading into a dangerous situation - the "lifesaver" should take place before you have committed - not afterwards, when it could be too late. Anyway, commiserations - I know you will do better next time. :thumb:

That is why additional advanced driving & riding courses should mandatory every ten years up to sixty and every five up to eighty and every year thereafter. Year boundaries should be at the discretion of GP.

I did many different riding courses from safety courses to race driving courses did many track rides and road rides, however I am sure that many of us regardless safety courses or not will not after 20-30 years so easily pass the driving test.

I remember when I did it ages ago, first thing before even sit on the bike it was to test all the lights indicators etc, I never did it after getting my driving licence. As well to stop on the stop sign or full line it was and I think it is still mandatory. If I see that all is clear or I have enough time/space I will just pull out. And many other silly things, I know because I had to go through that with my daughter recently when she was taking her driving licence.

Hi Elizabeth - sorry to hear about this.....but.......

......The second between me pulling out and my lifesaver.........

....have a think about this......if you're pulling out you must be certain you're not heading into a dangerous situation - the "lifesaver" should take place before you have committed - not afterwards, when it could be too late. Anyway, commiserations - I know you will do better next time. :thumb:

Yeah I know what you mean! I understand the examiners reason for it, I knew as soon as I saw the shady f**ker behind me Id f**ked it, but I guess a small pert of me hoped that maybe the car didnt have to break etc etc so I may get away with it. Im not mad at the examiner or the test itself. Shit happens. In the car I dont trust other people, I shouldnt on the bike either just because i can sometimes escape a bit faster from those situations.

If Only Id got to the roundabout 5 seconds later (or earlier when they werent there yet either!) and they'd have been on the roundabout and I would have been tutting at them whilst i wait for a better space etc!

As the examiner said, take away the positive that it was otherwise a good ride, no minors, so no bad habits to work on....and I dont have to pay another £425 this time, just a refresher session the day before then my re test the next day. :D

The main casualty in this is the 125, I have no desire to go ride on it between now and my next test, In my head I was ready to pass and be collecting a big girl bike this weekend!

I did many different riding courses from safety courses to race driving courses did many track rides and road rides, however I am sure that many of us regardless safety courses or not will not after 20-30 years so easily pass the driving test.

Did mine 10 years ago (pass first time, 3 minors Id like to add unlike today lol) and sometimes I do think 'if I did that on a test Id be failed' not necessarily being dangerous, but stuff like how you steer, how you reverse into places, how often you check over your shoulder.

To be honest since getting into biking i think my driving has improved, I *try* to be a LOT m ore alert to whats happening around me.

By the way not trying to be defensive at all, all very valid in what's being said, and as I said I dont disagree with the examiner, just that person and the fact they are allowed to hold a licence hahaha - although on a serious note maybe they dont know left from right? Ive just never failed a test before, its a very weird feeling! :| :oops:

Also feel BAD for the driver too, if it was a close one, they must think Im a nob too, and that's not nice for them or me!

[mention]elizabethf[/mention] That’s a tough one. There’s always a little bit of us that wants to be able to say “I passed first time” and that’s the bit that makes it stingy. That and the excitement of passing is already so close. The reality is from the feedback you’ve had that you’re ready to pass and it won’t be long now, 10 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things :thumb:

You’ll find some love for your 125 while your waiting for your next test because you’ll just want to get out on the bike.

Good luck for next time :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

By the way not trying to be defensive at all, all very valid in what's being said, and as I said I dont disagree with the examiner, just that person and the fact they are allowed to hold a licence hahaha - although on a serious note maybe they dont know left from right? Ive just never failed a test before, its a very weird feeling! :| :oops:

Also feel BAD for the driver too, if it was a close one, they must think Im a nob too, and that's not nice for them or me!

You don't come across defensive at all and I think any genuine folk on here will have an idea of how bad you feel.

@elizabethf That’s a tough one. There’s always a little bit of us that wants to be able to say “I passed first time” and that’s the bit that makes it stingy. That and the excitement of passing is already so close. The reality is from the feedback you’ve had that you’re ready to pass and it won’t be long now, 10 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things :thumb:

You’ll find some love for your 125 while your waiting for your next test because you’ll just want to get out on the bike.

Thanks! Sadly the next available date is in just over 3 weeks, they only do mod 2 once a week. sometimes they do Tuesdays to treat us round here. The suspense of waiting!

@elizabethf That’s a tough one. There’s always a little bit of us that wants to be able to say “I passed first time” and that’s the bit that makes it stingy. That and the excitement of passing is already so close. The reality is from the feedback you’ve had that you’re ready to pass and it won’t be long now, 10 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things :thumb:

Thanks! Sadly the next available date is in just over 3 weeks, they only do mod 2 once a week. sometimes they do Tuesdays to treat us round here. The suspense of waiting!

3 weeks 😱

I think you deserve some quality biscuits :D

3 weeks 😱

Yup, when I asked how long I had to wait until I could try again, 10 days seemed gutting. Until I saw what was left :( My biggest worry is how awful the weather might be. Risk of cancellation higher!

I was feeling normal again all afternoon and evening but my friend and the person I was training with just posted herself cutting up her L plates and now I feel sad again :( I think thats why I've taken it out on the 125 by refusing to ride it now... it's still on L plates so Im going to pretend I never failed or even took a test by pretending it doesnt exist for a little while!

Yes, Im having a tantrum. :lol: :lol: :lol: Ill be level headed again in the morning!

3 weeks 😱

Yup, when I asked how long I had to wait until I could try again, 10 days seemed gutting. Until I saw what was left :( My biggest worry is how awful the weather might be. Risk of cancellation higher!

I was feeling normal again all afternoon and evening but my friend and the person I was training with just posted herself cutting up her L plates and now I feel sad again :( I think thats why I've taken it out on the 125 by refusing to ride it now... it's still on L plates so Im going to pretend I never failed or even took a test by pretending it doesnt exist for a little while!

Yes, Im having a tantrum. :lol: :lol: :lol: Ill be level headed again in the morning!

Don’t worry

Repetition is the mother of learning. ”Repetitio est mater studiorum” (“Repetition is the mother of learning”), says the Latin proverb.

More luck next time :thumb:

You have a brilliant attitude, Elizabeth - being a bit miffed for a while is only natural.

To emphasise a point made earlier, whilst you don't want to be hesitant on roundabouts the examiner will expect you to wait until any oncoming vehicles have committed to their manoeuvre before you pull out. It can be a fine balance sometimes, but I'm sure that this experience will serve you well.

As an aside, I didn't even like riding my 125 during the period between my Mod 1 and Mod 2 (about three weeks). I know just how you feel.

I read all this yesterday [mention]elizabethf[/mention] and didn't know what to say other than keep your chin up as you are... it seemed a bit hollow but today I haven't got much else to say so had to post something.

It absolutely sucks and I feel for you, and next time hopefully you'll get that fine line between hesitation and committing correct. As I understand it, most examiners are only going to do you for hesitation if it's a consistent issue in your riding. One delay at a roundabout because you weren't 100% sure won't be a failure if on all the other junctions you negotiated them fine. Effectively they'll build up an overall picture of your riding and then start to find the reason to fail you.