Important insurance point

So Anyway, I passed Mod2 :cheers: but that's not why I'm posting.

I was thinking about my next bike and wanted to ask MCE a question about security, so I called them and started the conversation with:

"I just passed my full license ....." and the reply was:

"I need to update your details .. that will be £40 please".

"What? Can't I just NOT tell you?"

"No because you need to keep your details up to date otherwise your insurance would be invalid".

(conversation shortened for clarity)

So there you have it. Passing your test costs another 40 quid, but you MUST tell them. :cry:

This is where many insurance companies claw back the lower premiums they offer to get you in the first place. It's why sometimes not buying the cheapest can work out better in the long run. Change of address, change of bike, basically anything that means pressing a few buttons means cher-ching in terms of them conning more money out of you.

£40 for a few key strokes that will have zero effect on your immediate cover. No refund as your level of risk has reduced - obviously.

Its quite outrageous really the way they use any and every excuse to squirrel more cash from you. when renewal comes.. take any NCB you have and run. but be sure to tell them exactly why.

£40 for a few key strokes that will have zero effect on your immediate cover. No refund as your level of risk has reduced - obviously.

Not necessarily.. I wonder what the statistics say. Some youngsters will pass the test and think they're Barry Sheene. :angel12:

Well done on the pass [mention]Pbassred[/mention] . However that is exactly the reason I never insure with MCE. They charge for everything! The £40 is a standard "admin" fee to them. So even if you change house to a safer area that drops your premiums by £30, you still owe them £10. :?

Bikesure on the other hand... Passed my test and installed the akrapovic full exhaust on my grom the same day. Phoned them up to say so, "Oh congrats on the pass! Let me just Update those details.... Does the exhaust system add more then 15hp ?" - "No " - " Cool, it's just classed as cosmetic then, so here is a £30 refund for passing your test, it will be in your bank account in the next 3-5 working days"

I was super pleased :thumb:

Congrats!

When I passed I wanted to update my insurance and change the WR125X to my Bandit. They wanted £32 to change plus £500 policy increase on top of the £143 I had already paid. As the policy was third party only and had only run 3 months I told them to stick it, They refunded me £50 (after deducting another fee of course) and I went elsewhere to insure the bandit - and paid £350 fully comp!

Edited by xMachina

Maybe people use them because they can’t get insurance elsewhere until their circumstances change. They make as much as possible as quickly as possible knowing that.

The whole insurance market needs a good kicking

They are all the same :booty: I changed my car a couple of days ago, phoned for a quote and said I was picking it up the next day. Given the price to change and told to ring back when I had picked the car up. Do I need a reference? No it’s all on the system you don’t need to anything just tell us when you’ve got it.

Rang them the next day and that’s when the price started to fly up, I had originally been quoted £19.94. They now wanted £94.94 !!

Why the big difference in less than 24 hours.

Well my wife and I have moved house in the last few weeks and even though she had told the insurance company ( both cars same company and policy), and she was charged an admin fee, they said I should have rung as well to notify the change. They are apparently not allowed to change both unless they actually spoke to me as well, £25 for that please,

£25 for my change of vehicle, £25 for a midterm adjustment & £19.94 extra premium. We will give you a customer loyalty discount of £25 though.

They are all bandits :up:

I was able to update Hastings of my change of licence at the same time as changing the bike on my policy. But looking at the mid-term change policy cover note they sent I think they wouldn't have charged for the licence change, as only the bike change is listed as an amendment (but the policy does list me as a full licence holder). £25 fee, which was more than the rise in premium I incurred.