CBT in Maidstone, March 2019

Well, people, I've booked myself in for my CBT for the end of March. I've been watching YouTube videos, and sitting on my mountain bike conditioning myself to leave the brake levers alone. In other news, I'm getting my bike (a non-runner) delivered this weekend. Stuff is getting serious.

Edited by XO71

Hello Paul,

The bike is a well-loved genuine Zongshen ZS125-48A! I was told the bike had been sat for a year, and that it 'may need a new battery'. Having got the bike home today, I can see the battery seems to contain no electrolyte, so I'm thinking the easiest thing to do is going to be to just get a new battery, then try and get the engine running, change the oil and filter, and I'm assuming I'll have to bleed the brakes. I doubt the chain or sprocket have been changed. The rest looks largely cosmetic, it'll need a good clean, and that'll help me identify any perished brake lines etc.

The exhaust manifold appears corroded beyond belief. I'll try and get rid of some of the rust and see whether that needs replacing. The good thing is that all parts can be relatively cheaply obtained from Chinese Motorcycle Parts Online.

I appreciate my choice will have a few eyes rolling, but I was toying with the idea of buying something for a similar price simply to take apart and put back together for education purposes. If I can actually get this roadworthy, it'll be a real bonus!

Mark

The bike is a well-loved genuine Zongshen ZS125-48A

I appreciate my choice will have a few eyes rolling, but I was toying with the idea of buying something for a similar price simply to take apart and put back together for education purposes. If I can actually get this roadworthy, it'll be a real bonus!

Hi Mark , I always say if a bike has two wheels ,and an engine it's a motorbike ,if this is going to be your first bike you will look back on it with fondness, you will in the future get another bike, but as long as you have confidence in this bike ,then your most of the way through your endeavour, I like foreign bikes too.... got two Honda's :wink:

If the battery is dry, you might want to check the charging system in case your new battery quickly goes the same way.

An electrical fault may the reason for the long lay up. Many competent mechanics are baffled by automotive electrics.

Good luck with getting it on the road ! ☺

Thank you, Gogs01. I did wonder where the electrolyte could have got to, the case shows no sign of damage or leakage, so I suppose the only explanations that it has been lost little by little over time through evaporation. I've got a multimeter I can use. I guess I'm looking for something in excess of 14V across the battery terminals once the engine is up and running, is that what you mean?

Many thanks,

Mark