I hate Mod 1

I'm just going to put it out there that I hate the mod 1! I've just got back from my training and it goes against what my instincts tell me to do. My technic for the emergency stop and hazard avoidance is fine but I struggle to get the speed up and it's so frustrating. I throttle off to soon because I know I've got to slow down again or swerve.

It's actually making me want to give up if I can't get past this. I love riding my bike but this is just getting on my last nerve 😭😫

Oh no, you can do this. Its the hardest part and you’ve done so much work already.

I don’t know what advice you’ve been given for getting up to speed but I was told this and it worked perfectly every single time, me n the other guy never once failed to get up to speed-

Keep it in second gear, as your front wheel approaches the very last cone in the curve open it, go for it, keep it there until you’re just through the speed trap then roll off and brake. Deal with thinking about the swerving n emergency stop etc AFTER you hit that speed trap.

This works for all the speed manoeuvres. Opening it up in 2nd doesn’t sound great but who cares they not testing you on gear selection and staying in 2nd using the cone as a marker will give you plenty but not too much speed for the dastardly speed trap and subsequent manoeuvre.

Chin up.

The advice about 2nd gear is very good. it will mean you can accelerate reasonable quick out of the bend but not go much over 35MPH. The tendency is to go hard in third then still be accelerating when you should be swerving. Using second will sound very loud but you will be up to speed then as soon as you have passed the speed trap you can ease off swerve and brake. The engine braking will help too. You are less likely to lock up the back wheel ( don't pull the clutch in until you are nearly stopped)

I have found that at the actual test site the mod 1 'runway' is longer than the school one, you can build your speed more gradually and more important to have a glance at the speedo to check if you're at the required speed. You need to go over 32-33mph indicated in order to pass, because there's that speedo error in place, as i have found out at my practice sessions on the SV650.

More important is to learn to listen to the engine at that speed, memorise it and when you her that tone you know that you're at the correct speed(so you won't have to look). Roll off the throttle completely exactly when you reach the speed-trap.

I get it.

Your in charge of your head, tell your brain you want this and will succeed. There’ll be no acquiescing by Mrs Magpie84 - no way!

Using second gear and the last cone as a marker means you can’t get up too much speed even if you try, the knowledge of this means you can go for it without fear.

I tested it out, went for it as hard as possible just to see if it was true, I even started accelerating at the cone before the last one and still in the short distance from the cone to the speed trap this clocked up only 64kmph through the speed trap, giving no trouble doing the swerve or the emergency stop.

So if you stick to the 2nd gear and use the last cone as a marker you won’t be able to go too fast - and the test course is super long so there’s plenty of stopping space.

Note- 64 kmph not mph!

I thought I’d buggered my mod 1 up right at the beginning so I was treating it as a practice run. On both the swerve and the emergency stop I thought I’d see if I could do it at full tilt so as I came out the bend I really opened the taps. Was chuffed I could do it and thought that next time at least I know I can definitely get above the speed.

Nearly had a heart attack when the guy said I’d passed! :lol:

if you have a 125, take it to an industrial site that is quiet at the weekend and practice all the slow stuff. I got 6 tennis balls and cut them in half to reconstruct the Mod 1 elements.

I'm fine on the slow stuff is the high speed stuff I struggle with but I think that's just because I can't really practice it on a smaller bike as I just can't get the can't acceleration on the 125 plus the braking is different.

I'm just going to try my best and see how I do :thumb:

I’m starting to hate Mod 1 too: I’ve failed it 4 times (getting a bit embarrassing now). The first 2 tests I put my foot down (I was overcome by nerves and probably wasn’t really ready for it). The last 2 fails have been the dreaded swerve: Test 3 had 1 minor for the slow ride then got 47kph in both attempts at the swerve...aargh! Test 4 no minors until the swerve, where I decided i wasn’t going to fail for being too slow, made 54kph but took out the blue swerve cone...double aargh!

I totally understand what you’re saying about the panic/fear factor of the swerve. I’m also feeling disheartened by it, especially as my road riding has come on loads and I really enjoy it, but I’m damned if I’m going to let this bloody swerve get the better of me! I’ve just got back from a practice session on the Mod 1 test pad (just doing the swerve over and over again) and whilst I would’t ever say I’ve got it 100% nailed, I think I’ve found my “method” so I’ve booked in for another test.

I’m not sure I’m in a position to be doling out advice (Ahem, 4 fails!) but I will say that doing the swerve exercise over and over on the actual test pad, slowly at first to break it down so I know what I need to do in each “part” has Increased my confidence to then build up making the speed consistently.

I just wanted you to know you’re not alone in the Mod 1/swerve fear and loathing, but I’m going to stick at it and I hope you do too x

[mention]Magpie84[/mention] Best I can offer as has been said is get used to the noise it makes at the speed you need it to be at, I was way quicker than need be on the avoidance and stop, I had no issues with speed, it was the u turn for me, I did question the whole thing to myself but I decided if it took me 10 attempts I would eventually pass due to the law of averages lol, keep at it you will get there.

You'll get it Magpie, there's lots of good advise on here (for a change). Just remember that it IS possible to make the swerve / stop in the space given so a bit of faith needed! You'll smash it (and fifth times the charm I'm sure for you [mention]K1llerYips[/mention] )

• 2 years later...

I've failed my mod 1 3 times. Got it booked again for a 4th time. 1st time I hit the avoidance cone, 2nd I slammed too hard on the rear break doing emergency stop and 3rd I went over the line on the u turn. I have practiced in a quiet parking lot (with no cars around) to help me for the 4th time and it's helped me massively. My u turns have been easier, my emergency stop has been perfect and my avoidance I done testing myself with a smaller avoidance that the test centre in both directions. Its helped build up my confidence knowing I can actually do it....just need to get the nerves in line! My instructor has seen a massive difference in my training. Fingers crossed I pass on the 4th go. I'm  ot giving up! I've come too far and learnt too much to walk away and just ride a 125.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Maria2615 said:

I've failed my mod 1 3 times. Got it booked again for a 4th time. 1st time I hit the avoidance cone, 2nd I slammed too hard on the rear break doing emergency stop and 3rd I went over the line on the u turn. I have practiced in a quiet parking lot (with no cars around) to help me for the 4th time and it's helped me massively. My u turns have been easier, my emergency stop has been perfect and my avoidance I done testing myself with a smaller avoidance that the test centre in both directions. Its helped build up my confidence knowing I can actually do it....just need to get the nerves in line! My instructor has seen a massive difference in my training. Fingers crossed I pass on the 4th go. I'm  ot giving up! I've come too far and learnt too much to walk away and just ride a 125.

Keep at it, it sucks I know, I hated mod 1 too 😁 

That sucks. I found the avoidance swerve tighter at the training centre than at the test pad. I know this sounds silly, but book a sneeky test on your 125 as it's only £15. If you can get it sorted on the 125 a bigger bike will be that bit easier.

Keep your chin up. 👍