MOD 2 failed for something I was taught to do?!

Hi all so I did my mod 2 for the first time, and I was failed for something I was taught to do. The instructor took me through some really tight narrow left turns which I aced. Then came another one, this time it was blind so I went in slow I was greeted with a very narrow road and a car parked right up at the entrance, I saw there was no oncoming traffic so I took the turn wide to get clearance from car doors opening kids running out between parked cars etc. I did NOT, go over the white line I literally just touched it.

I was taught I am allowed to enter such a corner wide if something is blocking my way such as a parked car and ONLY if there is no oncoming traffic.

When the examiner invited me to his office he told me you have failed this time as you touched the white line on that tight turn and I deem this a loss of control :tumble: :scratch: . Also when he gave me the sheet I literally had no minors, no nothing, just that one thing that he deemed as a serious fault. Really?! Picture below explains it please click it to make it bigger.

SbkTMom.jpg

UPDATE: This is the actual turning where he failed me

puEkNds.jpg

Edited by newbiker90

That seems very harsh to me, what you did sounds like the right thing to do. I got 2 minors on my test, one for being to wide on a left hand junction and the other for being to tight on a right hand turn.

Just chalk it up to experience mate and have another go.

Seems the logical thing to do, but logic doesn’t really play a part on the tests annoyingly! I’d have done the exact same as you and thought it is perfectly reasonable.

Hi all so I did my mod 2 for the first time, and I was failed for something I was taught to do. The instructor took me through some really tight narrow left turns which I aced. Then came another one, this time it was blind so I went in slow I was greeted with a very narrow road and a car parked right up at the entrance, I saw there was no oncoming traffic so I took the turn wide to get clearance from car doors opening kids running out between parked cars etc. I did NOT, go over the white line I literally just touched it.

I was taught I am allowed to enter such a corner wide if something is blocking my way such as a parked car and ONLY if there is no oncoming traffic.

When the examiner invited me to his office he told me you have failed this time as you touched the white line on that tight turn and I deem this a loss of control :tumble: :scratch: . Also when he gave me the sheet I literally had no minors, no nothing, just that one thing that he deemed as a serious fault. Really?! Picture below explains it please click it to make it bigger.

SbkTMom.jpg

That's pretty bad. When I did my test - OK it was years ago - the examiner asked why I'd taken a junction in a rather odd way. It was right turn at traffic lights and I'd gone the long way round a car coming the other way so as to pass behind it rather than pass on its passenger side. I explained my reasoning - which was that the car was a driving instructor giving a lesson to a new driver, so I argued that the driving instructor would teach the student to turn as per the highway code which said to always pass driver's door to driver's door. (Damn stupid of course and no-one ever does but that was the rule at the time.)

At which point the examiner said - OK, that's a fair answer, and that was that. Mind you he then told me to ignore certain ways I'd been taught to ride because although they were statutory for the test in his opinion they were in fact 'bloody dangerous'. Which reflects your experience - except you got a jobsworth for an examiner. What did your instructor say about it?

Which reflects your experience - except you got a jobsworth for an examiner.

Yeah this....

Sorry for your experience, I had a similar when I did my first mod 2, a fail and no minors, just some idiot and their use of indicators (it's on the CBT and test info area)!

Its frustrating but unlikely to happen on your next attempt. I wouldnt bother arguing it, a lot of stress and you will likely get the same result. But relay the experience to the instructor, if the test centre gets a pattern of complains they get sent for retesting or removed off MOD 2 testing

SbkTMom.jpg

That's pretty bad. When I did my test - OK it was years ago - the examiner asked why I'd taken a junction in a rather odd way. It was right turn at traffic lights and I'd gone the long way round a car coming the other way so as to pass behind it rather than pass on its passenger side. I explained my reasoning - which was that the car was a driving instructor giving a lesson to a new driver, so I argued that the driving instructor would teach the student to turn as per the highway code which said to always pass driver's door to driver's door. (Damn stupid of course and no-one ever does but that was the rule at the time.)

At which point the examiner said - OK, that's a fair answer, and that was that. Mind you he then told me to ignore certain ways I'd been taught to ride because although they were statutory for the test in his opinion they were in fact 'bloody dangerous'. Which reflects your experience - except you got a jobsworth for an examiner. What did your instructor say about it?

Wish I was allowed to explain myself :crybaby: now I gotta wait another 20 days as its fully booked and pay £175 :crybaby: My instructor was upset for me, he told me what I did was fine but its up to the examiners perspective.

Edited by newbiker90

Yea thanks guys I thought it was the right thing to do and a really harsh decision also, even when I pass my test and get my own motorbike I will still do the same thing......My instructor looked so upset for me as well he knew it was not right for him to fail me. Hey ho-on-we-go! Weathers so good right now! Better pass next time do not want to go into June without a motorbike :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

That's very harsh you did nothing any other self preserving rider wouldn't have done so I agree with the above you should have passed, but don't let it deter you from having another go, you will ace the next time

If you rode on your test how you are trained in advanced riding you'd fail the test. Just shows what a mockery the test really is.

Anyway, bad luck mate.....but at least you know that your riding is good enough to pass next time.... 8-)

I thought you could cross the white line for a moment if you were clearing potential hazards like door openings!, especially if the road was narrow?

I thought you could cross the white line for a moment if you were clearing potential hazards like door openings!, especially if the road was narrow?

Yea you can but as I did it on a turn he decided to deem it as a loss of control just so he can fail me, even though I was in total control and did it intentionally. Just one of those things I guess :cry: .

Yea you can but as I did it on a turn he decided to deem it as a loss of control just so he can fail me, even though I was in total control and did it intentionally. Just one of those things I guess :cry: .

ah gutted.. I have mine coming up in 3 weeks (if I get through mod 1 in 2 weeks), I am so nervous as a lot of things that can go wrong could be out of your control!

good luck on your next attempt

That’s so much bad luck. For you.

I have to do what you did virtually every time I turn into my road.

ah gutted.. I have mine coming up in 3 weeks (if I get through mod 1 in 2 weeks), I am so nervous as a lot of things that can go wrong could be out of your control!

Thanks mate, next attempt for me is also in 3 weeks.

Best tips I can give for mod 1 (even though your probably been told it many times is):

• Obviously always do shoulder checks but remember check your left first then your right, some examiners give minors if you check your right then left

1st exercise moving the bike manually is damn easy, but do not forget where you park it is where you will start off for the slalom, so park it in a place where you will find it easier to ride up to the slalom. For me I parked it up to the edge of the parking bay giving me the best and widest angle of approach

Slalom/figure of 8 - Never look at the cones look at the gaps in between, when doing your figure of 8's keep that head up revs high, if you feel like the bikes about to drop, pretend your legs are glued to the pegs only way out is by adding more revs!

Slow manoeuvre, although it is easy remember where you park up is where you will start the U turn. So park it in a place comfortable for you. For me I did not park it next to the white line as when I did the life saver I sometimes wobbled in practice causing the bike to touch that white line, so I gave room for the wobble. When your about to execute the your turn always keep your head up do not look at the floor, do not focus on the white line or you will probably go over it, know where it is but do not focus in on it.

Controlled stop, again, although it is easy you can use the exercise as a guide of how fast you are approaching that speed trap, try to go through it like you will in the emergency and avoidance. Because for this exercise you are allowed to ask the examiner what speed you went through the trap. If he tells you 32 then great do the same for the other 2 exercises, if its too slow/fast then you know what to do next time

Emergency brake, be aware that when you pass the yellow speed trap cones he will probably put his hand up straight after that, so you can already be ready to brake, before he even raises his arm

Avoidance, get settled on the corner, do around 20mph, when you come out start picking up that speed, I worked out with the bike I was on if I went full throttle after the turn - when I reach the first set of cones I would be doing 37mph, so I'd down the throttle at the first set so at the trap I would be on 32-33, once your in the trap look through the middle of the two cones you want to avoid never look at it, use counter steering i.e. if your avoiding right push forward on the right handle bar, once avoided, you can add some rear brake, when the bikes upright introduce the fronts and park up

Might sound silly but before each exercise you find hard I found it helps to take 2 deep breaths before starting, then think of what you will do for that exercise i.e. if it was emergency brake, I'd take two deep breaths then tell myself remember, throttle off, then rear and front brake on, squeeze progressively then aggressively then I would take another deep breath shoulder checks and off I go

The Examiner..........pretend he is not there, never look at him when doing your thing (apart from emergency brake :thumb: ), even at the figure 8 where he is supposed to wave at you to stop, do not look at him, yes he will wave but if your not looking then he will just be forced to shout at you. I'd rather him shout at you to stop than you look at him and then loose balance and put your foot down. I for one made the examiner shout me over haha.

Oh yea after the emergency brake normally your heart is beating fast so you are highly likely to forget your shoulder checks before moving off. So remember them :D haha.

Good luck mate.

I did my test in winter along time ago and the back tyre went on some ice, but bike didnt go down and I recovered the rear wheel coming out, rest of the ride was percect, failed me when I got back to the yard for lack of control at that point... Think sometimes they just want your money for a retest.

That is harsh. On my daily commute there is a road with lots of parked cars on the left which also hides a side road.

I often ride slow and in the middle of the road so cars coming from that side road can see my approach and not pull out on me.

Isnt there a rule anyways that says you gotta be a certain distance from parker car incase car door opens etc? I remember being taught this during my mod2 training.

Im sure i was taught going over white line was safe to do so and if uncoming traffic came then i was move in to the left.

But then if i move back into the left I wouldnt stop (would cause hazzard), id just drive very slow.

So maybe then by that logic, if its safe to drive slow next to parked cars, then that should be done in preference to going over the white line.

I dont agree with it, but the instructor knows more than me

Best tips I can give for mod 1 (even though your probably been told it many times is):

• Obviously always do shoulder checks but remember check your left first then your right, some examiners give minors if you check your right then left

1st exercise moving the bike manually is damn easy, but do not forget where you park it is where you will start off for the slalom, so park it in a place where you will find it easier to ride up to the slalom. For me I parked it up to the edge of the parking bay giving me the best and widest angle of approach

Slalom/figure of 8 - Never look at the cones look at the gaps in between, when doing your figure of 8's keep that head up revs high, if you feel like the bikes about to drop, pretend your legs are glued to the pegs only way out is by adding more revs!

Slow manoeuvre, although it is easy remember where you park up is where you will start the U turn. So park it in a place comfortable for you. For me I did not park it next to the white line as when I did the life saver I sometimes wobbled in practice causing the bike to touch that white line, so I gave room for the wobble. When your about to execute the your turn always keep your head up do not look at the floor, do not focus on the white line or you will probably go over it, know where it is but do not focus in on it.

Controlled stop, again, although it is easy you can use the exercise as a guide of how fast you are approaching that speed trap, try to go through it like you will in the emergency and avoidance. Because for this exercise you are allowed to ask the examiner what speed you went through the trap. If he tells you 32 then great do the same for the other 2 exercises, if its too slow/fast then you know what to do next time

Emergency brake, be aware that when you pass the yellow speed trap cones he will probably put his hand up straight after that, so you can already be ready to brake, before he even raises his arm

Avoidance, get settled on the corner, do around 20mph, when you come out start picking up that speed, I worked out with the bike I was on if I went full throttle after the turn - when I reach the first set of cones I would be doing 37mph, so I'd down the throttle at the first set so at the trap I would be on 32-33, once your in the trap look through the middle of the two cones you want to avoid never look at it, use counter steering i.e. if your avoiding right push forward on the right handle bar, once avoided, you can add some rear brake, when the bikes upright introduce the fronts and park up

Might sound silly but before each exercise you find hard I found it helps to take 2 deep breaths before starting, then think of what you will do for that exercise i.e. if it was emergency brake, I'd take two deep breaths then tell myself remember, throttle off, then rear and front brake on, squeeze progressively then aggressively then I would take another deep breath shoulder checks and off I go

The Examiner..........pretend he is not there, never look at him when doing your thing (apart from emergency brake :thumb: ), even at the figure 8 where he is supposed to wave at you to stop, do not look at him, yes he will wave but if your not looking then he will just be forced to shout at you. I'd rather him shout at you to stop than you look at him and then loose balance and put your foot down. I for one made the examiner shout me over haha.

Oh yea after the emergency brake normally your heart is beating fast so you are highly likely to forget your shoulder checks before moving off. So remember them :D haha.

Good luck mate.

Hey mate,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write that!, have taken it on board!.. I think the hardest bits is just to try and stay calm, like you say deep breath.

This may sound crazy but I had to do this on my theory test, I was so nervous and had to take some deep breaths as I was sat at the desk.

Good luck mate.

Hey mate,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write that!, have taken it on board!.. I think the hardest bits is just to try and stay calm, like you say deep breath.

This may sound crazy but I had to do this on my theory test, I was so nervous and had to take some deep breaths as I was sat at the desk.

It is cool mate np hope I helped :)

Haha yea mate that is normal, just breathe before each exercise, another trick if your super nervous you can ask him to repeat to you the instructions again, and while he is doing it you can try to settle your nerves some more.

I was so nervous, that even after he told me I passed and to sign the certificate my hands where shaking as I took the pen to sign it hahaha :D :D