Complete newbie CBT advice wanted

Absolute newbie advice needed!

I have my CBT booked for a couple of weeks time. I’ve never ridden a motorbike before - the closest I’ve come is sitting on one in a motorbike shop! I have driven a car for years, and can ride a bicycle.

Sorry if this question has been asked loads before, but my question is…. is there anything in particular you wish you’d known before doing your CBT?

I find it hard to believe you can go from complete novice to riding out on the roads in a day, and I want to be as prepared as I can be!

Thanks

It's nothing to worry about, it is basically an assessment of your your riding ability, the instructor, wants to know that you are able to ride,control a bike in a safe manner, as long as you meet the criteria, there should be no problem, best of luck, and don't worry about it :thumb:

Don't worry about it, if you struggle to do it in 1 day they will just tell you to come back to finish it, everyone takes to it different, just see how you go and try not to stress.

Edited by Bender

Don't worry about the CBT at all!, you don't even need to get nerves up, its very laid back and fun!

They will start you off with learning where the controls are and what they do, then you will sit on the bike and learn how to find the biting point and moving away under control.

Once you master that, you will learn moving around the car park round corners. Then how to shift gears and braking under control.

Then advance to moving around cones, figure of eight, performing life saver checks etc etc..

Once you've mastered that, they will stop for lunch have a bit if classroom lesson and then head out on the road.

It is all done under supervision, and great instruction, , so seriously don't overthink the CBT, its a great day.

The real stress bit is the next step of the Theory/Mod 1/Mod2!

Have fun and enjoy it! i loved the CBT.

CBT is nothing to worry about at all, it is NOT a test.

Just relax and enjoy the day, you'll be fine :thumb:

could not have put it better myself.

CBT stands for compulsory basic training, and that is exactly what it is. the instructors are there to teach you bike control, and hopefully give you the confidence to go out on the road.

If it is a good school they will not rush you into anything, and the bikes they use are pretty user friendly and bulletproof, so do not worry about dropping it.( I hired one of the schools bikes to take my Mod 1, messed up the swerve manoeuvre, braked too hard and pulled in the clutch at the same time so down I went. all I did was bend the headlight bracket, which soon straightened out)

I personally didn't need it but there was a kid on my course who struggled with basics of just staying on it and what to do on the road. I asked him if he had a bicycle and he said:- "somewhere!". He didn't pass on the fist day. The only practical thing I would suggest is spend some time on a bicycle - preferably in traffic. Just get used to being on the road and looking around. Try and brake with your right hand :-)

Hello all,

I just wanted to say a I passed my CBT at the weekend, so big thanks for all the suggestions!

In spite of only a limited time in a carpark performing some frankly dodgy manoevers, over revving the bike (is that a thing?) and stalling God knows how many times, in the afternoon the instructor took us for a ride through Bristol city centre on a busy Saturday. Now if that's not a baptism of fire, then I don't know what is!

I am looking forward to picking up my Honda CB125F at the weekend and I guess now I'll really start to learn!

:thumb:

Well done, when you get your bike, go to an empty car park or industrial area, and practice what you did on your CBT, knowing how your bike handles, and getting used to it, will help you ride with confidence :thumb:

GRATS! :D

Well done, when you get your bike, go to an empty car park or industrial area, and practice what you did on your CBT, knowing how your bike handles, and getting used to it, will help you ride with confidence :thumb:

Totally agree!

Hello all,

I just wanted to say a I passed my CBT at the weekend, so big thanks for all the suggestions!

In spite of only a limited time in a carpark performing some frankly dodgy manoevers, over revving the bike (is that a thing?) and stalling God knows how many times, in the afternoon the instructor took us for a ride through Bristol city centre on a busy Saturday. Now if that's not a baptism of fire, then I don't know what is!

I am looking forward to picking up my Honda CB125F at the weekend and I guess now I'll really start to learn!

:thumb:

nice one well done :D