CBT & 125cc Vs Going for full license & 400cc

Hi people, a bit of background on me, i've drove for about 8 years and passed my CBT a while back, unfortunately I never got a bike and it ran out... I recently moved and sold the car & as my username suggests, I'm sick of walking everywhere.

I'm extremely tempted to get a bike, i'm hoping to get a decent ride for ~£2k. I was quite happily looking at 125cc's until I watched a video review and realised how small they can be. I'm 6ft 1 and don't wanna look silly. I understand there are some bigger bikes like the honda varadero 125 but this got me thinking, should I just go for a full bike license and get a 400cc? Something like a Honda CBR 500RA? It'd cost the same on the insurance and i'd have the benefit of being able to travel on the motorway.

If I did go straight for a full bike license, perhaps I could rent a 125cc for a month to practice on before my test?

Everyone is different but I think the majority of people would be better off on a 500 than a 125. I know there are people who love their smaller bikes, I loved my VanVan and would have another if I could justify a third bike just for the local lanes - but for any kind of distance you need something bigger.

You can ride a 125 on motorways - I have done it - but you're on the limit of engine, suspension, tyres, brakes etc - and you're constantly riding with no power to move out if you need to, like nearing a slip road where traffic is joining from behind you but going faster than you.

There are some very good 500's around that are easy to ride and frankly safer than a 125 because you've got more road presence, better brakes, tyres, suspension etc - and have enough power to keep up with traffic and still be proactive on the road.

When I looked at that option I weighed up the new 500s against an old CB500 which were bullet proof and very well built. In the end my commuter is a 2006 CBF500 which can cruise happily at 70 but is still nimble round town, very reliable, cheaper than a 125 to insure (less likely to be stolen) goes out in all weathers and comes back covered in the local mud and grit and I don't worry about it.

It's years since I learned to ride so I have no idea how the current system works but folks on here will know and I'm sure you can sign up to a course and use their bikes.

Hey,

I am 6ft tall, I did the learning thing.. so I did my CBT and bought an Aprilia Tuono 125cc and rode for 1 month gaining experience, then booked my Mod 1 & Mod 2 which I was given 2 months wait time which for me was perfect.

This gave me 3 months experience on a bike on the roads. During this WHOLE time I never got into bad habits, so I practiced all the stuff you need to get through the tests, even when out with mates, I was doing the whole shoulder check thing.

Then went through my test flawless, now on a 900cc bike and LOVING it!.

For me the best way was to take my time and dont rush the test process, time flies when your having fun and the test soon came around!

Hi.,

Go for the bigger bike if you can,

Generally bigger bikes are all more solidly built than 125s - brakes, wheels n tyres, suspension etc so not only less fragile, but they are safer, more stable and just feel better as a rider, giving more confidence.

Most 400s are physically not much bigger than 125s (trailie/supermoto are, but that's just longer suspension).

Older (80s/90s) 400s are really tiny - vfr400 was much more cramped than cbr125 for me, I'm only 5ft9.

I would suggest 500-650cc - twins rather than fours will be much cheaper to run and easier maintenance.

Take a trip to some local dealers, find what fits you, what you like, what's in your budget etcetc

You've been driving for eight years so you're not a kid and you know the rules of the road . Don't mess around with 125,s just go for it ! Jump right in and get whatever bike you want . I found this , it might give you an idea just how diverse the world of motorcycles has become these days .

PhotoEditor_20190614_202530323.thumb.jpg.3ed703b75f09e4dc49db7e4acff2dca6.jpg

I did the 125cc for a couple of months then did A license with only 1 full day lesson and two half days (before each test). Would fully recommend that approach as the 125 helps with every aspect of the test and you can get as much practice as your time allows.

I bought my 125 in March and took my CBT.

I’m not a kid so have plenty of road experience.

I don’t commute on a bike, I use it purely for pleasure, so when it’s dry and nice out.

I’ve done 600 miles on it locally and four longer trips into city centres.

Practiced with hill starts, emergency stops, silly mistakes, but thankfully hit nothing and not come off.

But in that 600 miles I’ve wanted to progress for better journeys but I feel limited because I’m holding up traffic off from the lights and when on a dual carriageway I’m screaming the nuts off the bike so I don’t have cars up my arse, I worry I’ll wreck the engine or worse.

So......erm....I guess this is how it goes, I bought another bike, a 650cc, I cannot ride it yet of course but I could not wait any longer, I’ve taken it out just on my private road which is 100 yds long, but I’ve felt the throb between my legs and I cannot wait to pass my test and go out and be up to 40 and still only be in 3rd gear, instead of working like mad through all 5 gears to get the 30......

Get a 500 -650 cc would be my input

The only thing stopping me not getting the full licence currently is money, plain and simple, it’s a couple of rather expensive days, much more so if you fail and have to retake, it’s another £175 just to retake here, extortion but hey, nothing you can enjoy is cheap it seems today

Listen to this bloke . 🙄

That would be difficult on a forum :yay:

Pay attention to the transcribed wisdom of this gentleman .