Advice for calming nerves pre-tests

So I’m getting very nervous coming up to my mod 1&2 and was wondering if anyone had advice for calming down and focusing on the road prior to the tests, so I can focus as much on riding safely during the tests rather than worrying about every little thing thinking I’ve done the wrong thing, even now practicing positioning and lifesavers although I’m doing it correctly I keep beating myself up thinking I’ve done it wrong and I should have done this and that differently and this is on the road by myself just practicing, it’s causing a lot of stress and worry and I really want to get on my first big bike this year, any advice would be appreciated! :)

Guest Richzx6r

Do loads of press ups to tire yourself out.

And/or spoke some weed.

How do you spoke weed?? I thought it was wheels you spoked

Guest Richzx6r

Do loads of press ups to tire yourself out.

And/or spoke some weed.

How do you spoke weed?? I thought it was wheels you spoked

There's a tyre joke there too

Theres always a tyre/wheel joke not too far away

I suffer with a Generalised Anxiety disorder, even with the medication Im on, I still get anxious in situations like this.

The best advise I can give is just to trust your instincts. Go easy on yourself. Try to keep calm and if you feel yourself getting stressed

just tell yourself you can do this and you know what your doing.

Really you should have practised enough, it almost becomes second nature and finally your instructor wouldn't have suggested the test

if he didn't think you wouldn't actually pass.

I was off the scale nervous with my Mod 2. Mod 1 I still had the normal nerves but dealt with it ok, however for Mod 2 was unbelievable!.. to the point on the morning of the test I was trying not to be sick as I woke up. The sickness stayed with me for a couple of hours, and when I got the training centre I couldn't concentrate I was pacing up and down and to be honest I couldn't control my nerves. Never experienced anything like it.

We then rode to the test centre, and in the reception I was still in a bad way... and then the examiner came into the room and called me over, I did start to settle a little, kept taking deep breathes and the examiner was really nice which helped.

But then, I got on the bike and everything went away!.. all the sickness feelings, stomach butterflies and head spinning all disappeared!. I brought in my A Game, and within 1 mile into the test, I felt confident and calm.

So don't worry about nerves, this is perfectly normal and I can assure you as soon as it starts you will be fine, I still felt nervous but not to the point where it will ruin your ride as you have so much to think about.

Dont worry.

• 3 months later...

The best way to calm your nerves is to do some deep breathing and also try to always think in the positive direction rather than thinking that you may fail or something like that. These the best ways to calm your nerves. Also if you are positive nothing bad will happen.

It's completely normal as it's a fairly rare occasion when someone says go on then do that, I'm watching and I'll tell you if you are any good.

The best thing is not to care what they think or what the result is. Easier said than done but remember it's you that chose to do this. It's something you want to do.

I had more pressure for my driving test as if I didn't pass that it meant no freedom whereas with the bike I'd already got the car so overall getting a bike licence didn't really matter. Still felt nervous.

2 years in on from getting the bike licence I've nearly completed training with iam so I've got another test looming. I don't know why I do it to myself.