Mod 2 question

Hi,

I have a question regarding the Mod 2 test, which I’m doing in a couple of weeks. I think I know the answer but doesn’t hurt to ask!

Parked cars on my side of the toad, other side is clear of obstructions but a car coming along. Obviously when driving a car one has to wait. HC Rule 163 also tells you to wait - give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road.

But on a bike there might, depending on the width of the road, be room to get through without crossing the centre line but while still being a doors width away from parked cars on the left. Even so, there’s very little leeway to react to anything unexpected from the oncoming car.

Obviously the priority is not coming into conflict with the oncoming traffic, but if there was room as described could the examiner view it as undue hesitation to wait for traffic to clear, or would he be quite happy with that? I would be happier waiting.

AKAIK, if the carriageway is wide enough that you can pass a doors width away, whilst still on your side of the divider, then you should proceed with caution. Full observations including lifesaver, reduced speed pass parked cars and another life saver over left shoulder once you’re clear the last parked car before pulling back to position 2.

This was something I was extremely worried about, and lucky it never presented its self.

Basically, if you are overtaking parked cars and its clear the other side, keep well over, and lean you head to exaggerate you looking for oncoming vehicles. The space is there so you can use it. If a car should come round a corner or into your path just check mirrors, slow up and pull in and sit and wait. Once the car has passed, do your checks and move back out, just go slow enough to make a decision without it looking like a panic. Nice and controlled.

If you remember, that if you pass the car within a door zone you will fail, so just make sure you stay clear of it, and any doubt pull in, but to add to the confusion, dont overthink it as you may get done for hesiiation. But you will only get a minor for that, rather that a major fail for passing too close.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mark

I suppose if the road is wide enough for a parked car + a door width + a motorbike between the kerb and the centre line, there is plenty of room for an oncoming car with no obstructions to pass on the other side without being anywhere near the centre line, so would be safe. Maybe the question answers itself?!

Hi Joe,

As you have already pointed out on your post, the oncoming vehicle has the right of way so the best approach would be to pull in when it is safe to do so and wait for the vehicle to pass before you move back out. I believe the examiner would take that into consideration during your test as no doubt they would be in a bike too, it's all about being safe as long as you demonstrate that, you would get marked down for hesitation. :wink:

Also I would like to add whenever I'm out, a lot of the oncoming vehicles will see you a distance away and make their adjustments accordingly to either give you more room pass or drive past you slowly.

Ok cheers.

One more question...would you treat the examiner as if he isn’t there, or as a vehicle behind? Eg., when pulling over, my instructor says only put a signal on if there’s someone who will benefit such as a vehicle behind, and he doesn’t include himself. This is also what I was taught when learning to drive. Does the examiner count as a vehicle behind or should he be treated as if he doesn’t exist? He gets ignored for moving off obviously, otherwise you’d never go. Plenty of threads advise imagining you’re just going for a ride with a satnav!

when pulling over, my instructor says only put a signal on if there’s someone who will benefit such as a vehicle behind, and he doesn’t include himself. This is also what I was taught when learning to drive.

I actually hate this style of training. Signalling should be your default, with the conscious decision to not bother. This style of training risks teaching (in my opinion) not to signal by default, and makes it something you have to think about. A non-required signal never killed nobody, but one forgotten...

If you would signal with a car behind, signal with the examiner behind. They need to know, that you know, how and when to signal.

Maybe, treat him like someone you're towing but they have the sat nav :lol: You should signal to let them know what you're doing, but don't wait for them to pass (because they won't, and if they do, somethings probably gone wrong).

In all seriousness, the whole "treat him like" things are generic statements. Not words to stand by completely and certainly many exceptions to each one. They're said to help ease your nerves, not to be over-analysed. You sound about as anxious as I was for my test last year. Once you're 5 minutes into it, the nerves will still be there but you'll be too preoccupied to start over-thinking every decision before you make it.

That’s a fair point smee - nothing to object to if one does signal.

Spot on about the nerves. I had a 15 minute ride and manoeuvre practice before my Mod 1, and made a pig’s ear of all the low speed stuff. 20 mins later I passed it with no faults - go figure!

That’s a fair point smee - nothing to object to if one does signal.

Spot on about the nerves. I had a 15 minute ride and manoeuvre practice before my Mod 1, and made a pig’s ear of all the low speed stuff. 20 mins later I passed it with no faults - go figure!

Well done [mention]Joe[/mention].

Yeah, I agree with [mention]Smee[/mention], signalling before you pull out is better than not signalling as leave as it warns others of your intentions. The examiner would not mark you down for that.