CBT advice please - Never driven

Hi,

I am interested in doing the CBT course so I can make a short commute to work and run around on a 125.

One of the things I'm concerned about is that I've never driven a car or bike before. I haven't even had a driving lesson (never had any interest in driving a car).

From what I've read on the gov.uk website on CBT, all I technically need to drive a 125 on the road is a provisional and to have completed CBT?

I have bought a book on the highway code, and I suppose I can watch a lot of videos on riding safely, what to expect on the course, etc. I'm just hoping it will be enough and I won't end up looking like a fool on the day!

Anyone else have similar experience to share?

Thanks

Don't worry about it, when you get your provisional licence, find a school to do your CBT, and they will teach you from the beginning, you will probably start on a scooter, and you may need extra tuition depending on how well or bad you are, but one thing to remember is the CBT is NOT a test, it is TRAINING to get you to a safe standard of riding good luck :thumb:

Get a rough idea of when to stop at red lights, who goes first at roundabouts etc then go do a cbt. If they think you're okay on the roads then crack on. If not then there's a good reason, take their advice practice whatever and retake it. Good luck.

A lot of people have never ridden before and have done the CBT and also gone further in a short time.

On the CBT you do all the theory in the morning and also off road practical riding. Sometime later,in the afternoon, you will do a couple of hours on the road.

You will learn basic roadcraft and how to handle a bike including the clutch.

If,for some reason, you don't get on with the clutch you could always fall back to an automatic scooter.

As far as the CBT is concerned it doesn't matter whether you do it on an auto or manual or even on a 50cc.

An automatic is much easier to ride but if you decide to take the test you will have to decide whether to carry on with an auto or go with the clutch/gears as passing the driving test on an auto will only entitle you to an auto licence whereas a manual licence will allow you to ride both just like a manual or auto car.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am booked in to do the CBT and have completed a pre-CBT course. We went through several things like getting the bike started and moving, driving around a small car park, stopping and starting, changing gears, slalom and figure of 8. This was all within about an hour and a half.

I was really, really nervous about it. I had some trouble with the clutch biting point and stalled the bike several times. None of the manoeuvres went smoothly for me, although I feel like I was able to sort of eek them out eventually.

The instructor was a really nice, patient guy, and the other staff were supportive. So, I think I've got lucky and found a good school. I'm going back to do another one of those pre CBT things, and then hopefully onto the CBT.