expired cbt and car licence

My son took his cbt and ran around on a 125 for the 2 yrs but never took his test. Just after the cbt expired he passed his car test last year.

He was now considering a moped,as he lives in a city, and understands a cbt has to be taken to "validate" the conversion of a car licence to moped licence.

My question is does the cbt have to be "active" when taking a car test to qualify to riding a moped or does he have to do it again ?

How does it work is it just recorded that he has done a CBT at DVLA making the car licence valid for a moped or does he have to do anything??

Yeah I know that I was asking if an expired cbt was good enough or does it have to be done again as he didn't have the car licence when he had the cbt.

Basically he has already done the training required but I suppose the "official" mind only counts it as valid if the cbt is valid if during the 2 yrs the car test is passed.

Forget the car license, it has nothing to do with the CBT, it is a completely independent thing.

The CBT is valid for two years only, he must complete another CBT course before he can legally ride up to a 125 with L plates.

Yeah I know that I was asking if an expired cbt was good enough or does it have to be done again as he didn't have the car licence when he had the cbt.

Basically he has already done the training required but I suppose the "official" mind only counts it as valid if the cbt is valid if during the 2 yrs the car test is passed.

Expired is just that, why would you think an expired cbt would be valid

We are not talking about a 125 or any bike. I'm talking about validating a car licence to ride a moped and only a moped.

Under the new rules this then entitles him to ride a moped without L plates and also carry a passenger if he wished. The CBT is not required to be done again in the case of a car licence/moped.

Age doesn't come into it either as he is well over the minimum age limits.

All I want to know will the cbt he used for 2 yrs validate a car licence to ride a moped as he has done the required training?

This was last year and there was only a month or so from the cbt expiring and him passing the car test.

I suspect that he will have to do it again but the DVLA site is no help.

It seems stupid as he has already done the training and that is the purpose of making a car driver do the CBT to get some training before riding a moped whereas previously to 2001 a car licence allowed you to ride a moped.

If he has to do it again then so be it.

Just found an explanation so it seems you have to have the car licence first( or within 2 yrs of getting the cbt) then do the CBT which is what I wanted to know. Shame really as he was only out by a couple of months lol

You passed your driving test on or after 1 February 2001

You’ll get a full moped licence if you either:

pass your car driving test and then complete a compulsory basic training (CBT) course

complete a CBT course and then pass your car driving test within two years

You can then ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates. You don’t need to take the full moped test.

You can ride mopeds for as long as your car driving licence lasts.

Just to add for anyone wondering why he doesn't just go for a larger bike/test.

He lives in Edinburgh and the whole city is now 20 mph so he just wanted something to get to work.

He had plans to do the whole thing and bought a 125 Varadero and was using it and he also bought a Triumph Bonneville which I have been using until he got around to the test but he never got round to it. :(

Good luck to your son [mention]tivvy[/mention]

It does sound silly how he needs to take his CBT again when he had already taken it before, especially when DVLA set the rule that the rider only needs to sit the CBT ONCE after passing the driving test to ride a 50cc FOR LIFE but then they won't allow it vice versa. Does not make sense :?

That's my exact point. He had done a cbt and had used his bike for app 2 yrs and then passed his car test but that isn't enough to qualify for a moped lol

I know the whole idea of taking the cbt is to get some training especially if you have never ridden before and the 2 yr limit is to encourage people to take the test.

Just one of those things I suppose.

was his cbt valid when he passed his driving test or had it expired ?

You passed your driving test on or after 1 February 2001

You'll get a full moped licence if you either: pass your car driving test and then complete a compulsory basic training ( CBT ) course. complete a CBT course and then pass your car driving test within two years.

scratch all that just reread the post :lol:

I seem to remember that for some time during the 1990s the CBT was valid for 2 years and when it expired could not be renewed for 12 months. So, if you didn't pass the test in two years you lost all entitlement for a year. A lot of people were caught out by this rule. They had bought a 125 and couldn't ride it. Or they happened to fail the test and had to wait a year until they could do another CBT and start again.

I seem to remember that for some time during the 1990s the CBT was valid for 2 years and when it expired could not be renewed for 12 months. So, if you didn't pass the test in two years you lost all entitlement for a year. A lot of people were caught out by this rule. They had bought a 125 and couldn't ride it. Or they happened to fail the test and had to wait a year until they could do another CBT and start again.

Well that's stupid! Can't believe folk had to wait 1 year before taking the CBT again. I would imagine the panic bookings folk had to do as their CBT was due to expire. How long did that rule last?

Well that's stupid! Can't believe folk had to wait 1 year before taking the CBT again. I would imagine the panic bookings folk had to do as their CBT was due to expire. How long did that rule last?

From inception 1990 till (I think) 1st Jan 1997 when we came into line with the rest of the EU. The stupid 2 years on, 1 year off, rule was a dept of transport "bright idea". in 1997 the biggest change.. And quite positive was the arrival of the DAS. Which meant people could bypass 125s almost entirely if they wanted.

From inception 1990 till (I think) 1st Jan 1997 when we came into line with the rest of the EU. The stupid 2 years on, 1 year off, rule was a dept of transport "bright idea". in 1997 the biggest change.. And quite positive was the arrival of the DAS. Which meant people could bypass 125s almost entirely if they wanted.

7 years is still a pretty long time for someone if they had to follow that program, it essentially meant they only rode for 5 of those years and every time they start again, they probably had to literally start again as they would have forgotten some of the things they got good at first time round. What a stupid system.

There were some serious concerns back then as there were a lot of motorcycle accidents.

I don't agree with the year off thing but the idea was to either get you to pass the bike test or go with cars. Basically you would have had to start applying for your test soon after starting to ride otherwise if you failed you might only get one or two more chances before you were off the road.

I'm glad I'm so old we didn't have to do all this. Back then the examiner walked round a figure of eight type course and he told you to keep going round the streets and he would walk round and observe you at various points.

At some stage he would step out and indicate for you to do an emergency stop but you could always see him hiding ready to step out and hold his hand up.

At 30 mph it was no problem lol

It was then back to the test centre and he asked some highway code questions and showed you some typical street signs and that was it!!

As long as you didn't do anything stupid and used hand signals,yes hand signals, at junctions/turns etc and didn't crash into anyone or anything you usually passed.