Enjoy. I'm sure you'll be told just before you set off, but it's your licence and your life, so make your own decisions.

There's some great YouTubers if you haven't found them yet that go through concepts such as IPSGA, which help get your head around it. Once it clicks it becomes easy to describe your decisions and actions based on it, but can feel a bit stilted and disjointed way of viewing the world at first.

And as with all these things - take the feedback onboard but also feel free to critique it. It's all opinion at the end of the day.

Go .

Don't try and learn everything before your first ride.

Your observer wants to see YOUR normal riding NOT what you think they want to see.

Yes you can learn all the acronyms and the basis of Advanced Riding but if you don't Understand the application and relevance of them then your not advanced Riding or a Thinking Rider.

Advanced Riding lives heavily in the grey areas and there are very few You Must scenarios as you would find in normal driving/riding lessons or tests.

The biggest Must is Maintaining your Safety .

Good luck with the IAM, I did it a few years ago, I was lucky to have a really knowledgeable and experienced rider as my observer, former Police motorcyclist. Don't be tempted to try and rush things to the test, listen to what your observer says, act on the feedback and take your lead from him. I suppose the best advice would be, try and ride normally and relax, sometimes hard when you know you've got someone critiquing your every move.

Yes you can learn all the acronyms and the basis of Advanced Riding but if you don't Understand the application and relevance of them then your not advanced Riding or a Thinking Rider.

Advanced Riding lives heavily in the grey areas and there are very few You Must scenarios as you would find in normal driving/riding lessons or tests.

The biggest Must is Maintaining your Safety .

Yup, anyone who doesn't respond to questions about "what should I do when/in this situation..." with a "it depends" may not be thinking it through enough :D

Enjoy, I hope your observer is decent, I had a really good bloke who was really easy going and I learnt a lot from him.

Don't forget to buy the observer a drink at the end and offer them some money towards their petrol.

Enjoy, I hope your observer is decent, I had a really good bloke who was really easy going and I learnt a lot from him.

Don't forget to buy the observer a drink at the end and offer them some money towards their petrol.

I'd forgotten you'd done that mate. I learned loads too. I had to retake the RoSPA thingy last year. Still lots to learn.

I'd forgotten you'd done that mate. I learned loads too. I had to retake the RoSPA thingy last year. Still lots to learn.

Did you do that with the Suffolk group? Was going to join the Norfolk group this week.

Did you do that with the Suffolk group? Was going to join the Norfolk group this week.

Did the original training with the Cambs group; had a great observer, a young lad riding a Pan. I wasn't a fast learner (in either sense), but he was very patient :)

For this last retest, I did a couple of observed rides with folk the Suffolk group, and then the test was up your way by a bloke from Long Stratton.

I'd say go for it. Worst that can happen is that you don't get on with it, in which case you just move on.