CBT - Experiences of other Members

Hi All,

I did my CBT last Saturday but I'll be doing it again this week because it didn't go very well the first time.

When I arrived it turned out that I was the only person who had never riden a bike before (I thought you needed the CBT before you could ride but I guess the laws can be bent a little) and the instructors didn't really have time to go through the basics at the pace I needed, which is fair enough as I would have held everyone up going through stuff they know already, it's a pity there weren't more total newbies like me.

Also I was struggling with clutch on the bike (which I found odd because I've driven manual cars for years but it seemed very different) and after about an hour the instructor realised that the clutch on the bike I was using was a bit dodgy and got me another bike and hey presto! things were fine and I really started to get the hang of it but I had missed a couple of exercises by that stage unfortunately.

So a bit of a disappointing experience but I'm looking forward to next week and I'm sure it will go a lot better.

After the training I do have some advice that I think may help others, so here goes:

• If you have absolutely no experience, try to get some (even a few minutes) on a 125 bike prior to the CBT. You can do this on private land like carparks etc.

• Spend a bit of time and effort finding a comfortable pair of bike gloves before the CBT. My hands are quite big and I couldn't find a pair of the instructors gloves that fit well but since I've bought a proper pair that fit well, I really notice the difference, it makes things much easier.

• It is recommended on some websites to wear sturdy boots for the CBT and I wore a pair of hiking boots but found them to be awkward for the gears etc. I would recommend wearing a lighter pair of soft shoes made of strong material like leather as I find it much easy to control the bike in them. The boots do help to protect your ankles but the 125 bikes are quite light so it's not too much of an issue.

Hopefully next week will go better but I've bought my own bike now (I got a yamaha YBR125 to learn on) and I'm much more familiar with it now so I reckon it go well.

Cheers,

Slanty

• Like 1

heres my CBT experience from a few months back

got there and was me + one other person. i'd never got on a bike or a car and he was a motocross racer who wanted a bike for the road lol.

spent an hour - 2 hours in a talk of road safety etc etc, then went onto car park. first was to put bike on and off center stand (thought well thats easy but was more difficult than it looks for a first attempt) then go over the bike controls. then walk with the bike and rev the engine in neutral.

then sat on the bike and had to ride forward and backwards. then riding around and stopping using fronts brake only back brake only followed by both together. then a bit of work changing gears.

then SLOW CONTROL where i fell off lol. couldnt master it so had to go back in the week.

when i went back onto the car park and instructer told me lean forward a little and relax more and presto did figure 8 u turn no problem. then out on the road, stalled once at a traffic light but paniced (was first time id been on the road)

then couple of u-turns in a side street, a little bit or work in towns and went back get my cbt cert.

i'd recomment a little work even if you sit on a bike and learn what is where. if you havent been on the road as well would be worth an 125 lesson after you passed.

just in process of passing full liscence :) loads more fun also i would recomend you get some motorcycle boots because if you plan to ride you'll want them, even on a 125 if you crash those shins and ancles are important. if you can afford id get your own helmet jacket trousers boots and gloves because it will make you feel more comfy when you get your own. remeber a 125 will still do 60+ mph .

Seriously, if you are going to read all of this, get yourself a drink and settle in.

My CBT Experience

I turned up for my CBT at the training school feeling very nervous. For me this was very strange. Kind of being 17 again and starting my first driving lesson. I arrived first (Always arrive too early when nervous excitement has taken over). A lady who’s name I can’t remember checked my driving license and I sat down on my own trying to look relaxed. I doubt it worked.

Eventually all the other people training for the CBT turned up. All of them already had their own bikes (Twist and go scooters), and they were all around half my age. 16 and 17 years olds. One lad had ridden his scooter down to the riding school without any license whatsoever. The instructors were understandably not too impressed, and almost refused to take him out. I think when they realised he would just be riding home again unlicensed they decided to take him out. We all sat down and had a long speech about bike safety for about 30 minutes. I pretty much knew it all and got slightly concerned about the lack of knowledge these kids had about the basics of the road. After about 5 minutes I decided to stop answering questions about the road and left it to them to learn.

After that we went outside to look at the bikes. Everyone knew all about the bikes except for me. I had read up a lot and knew pretty much what I was doing, but a couple of things did surprise me. We learnt all about the bikes controls and how to check the bike before a ride. POWER. P – Petrol, O – Oil, W – Water, E – Electrics and R – Rubber.

Next the instructor introduced us to the communication system we had to use. He had a microphone with a push button system to talk to use and we had an earpiece to wear under the helmet. This earpiece spent most of the time trying to slice your ear off. It was not a pleasant experience, but after a couple of hours your ear goes numb, and you can just about forget about it.

Eventually we got to push the bikes round to the car park at the rear. They let us circle the area for a bit getting used to the bikes, before teaching us how to do junctions, and emergency stops. It had been raining the night before and on my first emergency stop I locked up the front and back and skidded on the wet surface. Thankfully I did the right thing and came of the brakes and managed to stay up. Not a pleasant moment. The instructor came over and asked me if I was ok. I felt fine strangely even though it had scared me. Before this day I had thought something like this so early on would make me get off the bike and walk away fast. I just re-started the bike and went for it again. Did it three times after that without any problem and all was good.

After about an hour and a half in the car park we had a quick break before heading out on the road. When we left the centre and hit the open road, I felt very vulnerable for about 20 seconds, before realising this was great.

We headed about half a mile down the road and found a quiet road to do the “Official CBT Test” emergency stop and u-turn. Nailed them both without any problems.

At that point as I was the only rider on a geared bike, so I was going out on my own with an instructor. I am very annoyed with myself at this point, as I can’t remember the instructors name. He was damn good and really gave me confidence, and pushed me when I needed pushing. He was actually being evaluated that day so we were followed by another instructor. He was a good guy as well. We headed off and got about 45 seconds into our 2 hour journey before hitting a traffic jam. When I say a jam, I mean a huge jam that simply was not moving. Well this is good. Time for my first filtering experience. We set off down the side of a row of vehicles and slipped into a car park, did a U turn, and found another route. It turned out that a four lane section of road had been narrowed down to one lane for the day…. A Saturday… There are some truly dumb people making decisions in Derby!!

We took another route which took us off down a road called Sir Frank Whittle Way (Sir Frank invented the jet engine, just in case you did not know). Sir Frank Whittle Way is a 60 limit road with a couple of roundabouts. I got to about 45 before getting scared (Looking back I laugh at myself), and we hit the A6 on the way to Matlock Bath. On the way the instructor talked me through the usual stuff, then starting telling me about counter steering. I had read up this and simply could not get my head round the idea. The instructor seemed to have confidence in me though so I went for it and found it was brilliant. It made all my corners smoother and easier.

We carried on to Matlock Bath I have known for years that this is where bikers collect on the weekends. On a sunny Saturday and especially Sunday you will get hundreds of bikers there. Not only do you get good biker food (Chip’s, Burgers, and Bacon Sandwiches), but the roads leading too and from Matlock Bath are just plain awesome.

We followed the A6 all the way right into and right out of Matlock Bath, and then stopped on the steepest hill in England (Ok, maybe an exaggeration, but it felt that way to me). My fabulous instructor then told me it was time to do the hill start. After two attempts I managed it, but it was not easy at the time. Again looking back, I don’t know how I struggled with it. It’s just basic clutch, gas and brake control. We set off again, and made our way to Chesterfield, and stopped at a bike shop for a 15 minute break. We had a drink and looked at a lot of expensive sports bikes.

Looking outside the skies seemed to be darkening and it looked like rain was on the way. We quickly tooled up and headed off up the road. When we set off I felt great. I was really comfortable on the bike, and enjoying every minute. We then turned off the main road and hit a minor A road back to Derby. This to me was where the mistake happened. It started to rain a bit. Not much, but a bit. After about 5 minutes it seemed to ease off and we hit the A38 dual carriageway.

Then the skies opened up. On a biblical level. I mean it rained and rained. From doing 64 mph (It was the best I could get out of the bike) on the dual carriageway down to 40mph. The instructor was strangely quiet. Then he came on the mic (I was listening via the ear piece) and told me how to get rain of my visor. He sounded a little nervous. At this point I would have asked him how to get it out of my helmet, my jacket, my boots, my gloves, and most disturbingly my crotch!! Unfortunately the speech system was one way. I continued on following the tire track of a Land Rover that was doing the same speed. The A38 looked like a river and this tyre track was the only part that looked safe.

I seemed to be going ok, then the two bolts of lightening about half a mile away and the massive clap of thunder made me realise I was in a tough situation. I rode on though and came through it.

We turned off back on to Sir Frank Whittle way and got back to the large roundabout just outside the training centre. We filled the bikes up with petrol and rode the half mile back to the training centre. While filling up the rain storm stopped and the sun was shining in a beautiful way. We got back and I stripped down to my now very wet jeans and t-shirt (Even though I had been wearing waterproofs). The instructor sat me down, and let me know I had passed without any serious problems. He went through the usual things, which were mainly indicators, and clutch control. Finally we had a laugh about the weather, and he told me it was the worst he had ever ridden in and if I could get through that I could ride in any weather. To say I hated it at the time would be a polite way of putting it, but looking back I am glad I went through it. It was damn hard, but now I have experienced it, I know I can do it again.

Well that was my story.

As for advice. All I can say is look around at all the schools in your area, get advice about schools and make sure you choose the right one!!

• Like 1

Hi techno,

I hear what you're saying and yeah it's not difficult if you can ride and know the controls etc, but if, like me and some other posters you have never been on a bike before, then it can be tough. Especially if you're left trying to figure out the clutch, rear brake, front brake and gear changes etc while others are starting the CBT tasks.

bundle and swindonkev, I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure you'll be fine (by the sound of it you have ridden a bike before even if it wasn't on the roads). Anyway if it doesn't go well, don't worry the second time is soooo much easier as you know what to expect and know the controls etc before you get on the bike (in fact my instructor let me skip the morning chat as I did it the previous week so I got to ride around the park a bit until the others completed it).

If you can find somewhere to practice like a farm where you have permission etc (see Drewsters post for rules about this :D) then I would recommended practising the following:

• slow control i.e. riding at walking pace using the clutch, accelerator and back brake to make it as smooth and controlled as possible.

• figure of 8 i.e. place two markers a few feet apart on the ground and ride in a figure of 8 passing between the markers twice on each circuit.

• U-turn

• Emergency Stop - this doesn't need to be done very fast at all... second gear is enough for the CBT and the stopping distance doesn't have to very short, just reasonable

• Turning left and right at junctions - using correct observation and signalling etc

If you can do those then the CBT will be a breeze to you. The riding on the road part is just to check that you are safe to ride on the road and it's good fun once the nerves dissappear after the first 1or 2 mins.

Good luck with your CBTs, Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Slanty

I must say my experiences of the CBT was dismal,

1st try turned up to take the test there where 3 others there I said I wanted to do the test on a manual as I was going to buy an NSR 125, the bike I was on was a CG 125 the instructor gave me 4 attempts to find the biting point which as of my nerves I couldn’t find then said I should come back tomorrow and try again on a twist and go, £100

2nd go turned up bright and early same guy again put me on a 50CC hairdryer did a few hours in the car park where I did not feel safe and came off the thing 3 times, after lunch we had to go onto the road for a ride around, 2 minutes out the door and the instructor turns round and fails one of the people I was riding with and says he has to come back tomorrow as he wasn’t confident with his riding style. On the way back from the hour ride around things where going ok and I was feeling as good as I could do on a Moped. Then I was going from a minor road to a major, the major had just been recovered. As soon as my back wheel hit the un-set tar I was off. That was then end of my 2nd try,

By my third try I though I would try somewhere new, asked around a few mates about where they had been and I kept getting good reports from one school about ½ an hour away, so I booked it. Turned up on the day had a 10 min chat with the instructor who was going to be taking me explaining everything that had happen. After leaving me with the CG for 10 min to find out how to get the biting point and pull away I was ready, passed with no props. And have now been riding my bike for over a year doing 50 miles a day with no crashes also done long distance of over 300 miles .

My advice to anyone doing you CBT is try to remain chilled at all times and don’t be afraid to tell your instructor when you don’t feel comfortable. On a side note I have been on a few peds since and come off them all!!!! If you don’t feel comfortable on a bike / ped then your not going to be safe.

Hope this helps some people out there coz it’s only now that I don’t get embarrassed about telling people it took me 3 tries for my CBT

It was riding pillion and the encouragement of my hubby that made me go in for my CBT and then DAS. I have never ridden a bike before but was fairly orientated around a bike.

When I got to the site there were three others there but I was the only novice who had never ridden a bike. We had a guide around the bike and safety advice was given. Then we had to take the bike on and off its main stand before pushing it around the yard. Once we had done this we were able to sit on the bike and start it up take it off the side stand and go forward slowly and then stop using the foot brake. Once we had mastered this we rode around the yard and did several manouvres using mock road signs and junctions and onto a figure of eight which I found very difficult. The instructor obviously thought we were able enough to go out on the road so away we went. Wow, it felt really good. I actually amazed myself and passed the CBT. My next dialemma was whether to try for DAS or continue on the 125. I opted to go for the DAS, the bigger bike was much more stable at speed than the 125 and I found it easier to ride (the people I took my test with even had an extra cut out seat for the ER5 I was riding so I could reach the floor lmao)

I sat my cbt yesterday and managed to pass. I'd probably echo what others have said, the clutch control and slow moving is the hardest but with practice it gets easier.

I hadn't had any experience on geared bikes up until yesterday but it is definitely not something to worry about. I felt very secure on the bike and unless you do something silly like grab at the front brake whilst turning, you won't fall off :D

Overall had a really good day. Weather was good for the most part. We were lucky because it was bad the days before. There were only two of us and the other guy was competent and confident on the bike. So much so that he had to be told to slow down when we were out on the back roads :D (i was just tootling along at 50mph enjoying the views!!) I did feel the bike could have done with another gear for some reason. The engine was straining at 65mph and 10k revs up the dual carriageway!! That and maybe just being so used to a car.

The instructor was excellent and put us at ease. He did mention that he didn't see me using the brakes much (i used engine breaking quite bit for some reason, a habit along with covering the front brake most of the time that i need to get out of :D) Apart from that he said that our observation and control were good and other things can easily be worked on.

So for anyone about to do their cbt i would say to relax, listen and don't worry about making mistakes. Although it is a test, it isn't in the strictest sense, they are not looking to fail you, just be safe, observant and in control and you will sail it. If you need more time on a particular element they will work you through it. Don't be afraid to say that you would like to go through something again.

Got my theory on Thursday so hopefully i'll get through that!

Roll on the intensive training and the big bikes at the end of the month and good luck to anyone about to sit the cbt :D

My CBT

Well as always with someting new I was very nervous, (I'd ridden a Bike 27 years ago) plus I was the oldest one there.

There were four of us two were doing their CBTs again as their previouse ones were due to run out, (One was doing his Third CBT so had been riding for four years,and one was doing his Fourth CBT so had been riding for six years) both had their own Bikes.

Next was a lad of 17 doing it for the first time and never been on the Road before, then there was me !!!!!!, 47 years old full driving licence and used to ride 250's 27 years ago.

And our instructor was Vicky, first things first into the Classroom (We were at a School with a Classroom and a Nice playground for us to learn on) right back to the Classroom to check our licences ect, then to talk to us about the law and the Highway Code.

Dave the 17 year old got most of the questions,

ie what is a Red Triangle sign telling you? What is the National Speed Limit? What are the Order of Traffic lights? Who has right of way at a roundabout?

What must you wear by law on a Bike? What should you do if you drop your Helmet? What to wear while on a Bike and what not to wear!!!!

After that it was out into the Playground and shown around a geared 125, too show us the things to look at on a Daily and Weekly Basis, BLT and POWER, (BLT = Breaks, Lights, Tires & POWER = Petrol, Oil, Water, Electrics and Rubber)

Then it was the Bike Controls Throttle what it does and how to use it, Front Brake where it is and how to use it (Squeeze it like a Water Soaked Sponge if your do it gently you dont get wet if you grab it you get soaked), Back Brake were it is and how to use it, Clutch and Gear shift How to use them and what gear to pull away in and how to find Neutral.

Then it was on to the lights and indicators how to put them on and off and when to use them.

Last but not least how to start the Bike.

Our next lesson was how to put a Bike on its Centre Stand and take it off, then use of the Side stand.

After that it was on to the Bikes for the first time :shock: turn on the ignition find neutral and then start it (Remember to do it the right way round, pressing the Electric Starter without being in Neutral is not a good move :oops: )from then it was on to how to select First and the how to move off without stalling, and most importantly how to stop.

So now its the first practical bit, Move off in first and stop, move off and stop, again and again and again till you get it right.

Next we're going to go up to Second, Oh No that means moving two Hands one foot keeping Balance and looking where your going and trying not to run out of Playground, All at the same time

:shock: :shock: :shock: Well we all did it with no incidents :D :D :D so now its round and round the Playground going from First to Second and from Second to First, as we're doing this the instructor tells us that she is going to set out Two Cones at the side to act as a Junction for us to stop at when she calls us over nd we are to stop at the Junction while under control, not past it, not short of it, Not to Fast, not to Slow and most importantly while under Control. Then after we had stopped we had to than pull away and back into the flow of Traffic (the other Bikes going round and round the Playground).

Well my first attempt went badly wrong I stopped Short of the Junction :( , so off I went round and round the Playground. Next go I was way to slow but stopped in the right place so off I go again round and round the Playground. well I did it OK the Third time and the Fourth :D :D :D , so next its learning to do the Slow Manoeuvres :cry: :cry: :cry: Figure Eights and U-Turns.

Well lets say it took me a bit of time to sort it everyone else was doing the Smoke Break and watching me with a hint of amusement, Well I never fell off but it was a large Figure Eight I'm still not happy but i can do it. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Next it was back inside for a Cup of Tea and a Talk about Junctions, Emergency Stops and Learing about Life Savers (how to do them and When to do them). Then it was back outside to put it into practice :shock: Well using Cones to look like a road Junction just didn't work it just looked like a mass of Cones once we sorted out where we were supposed to go and which way the Imaginary Traffic was going we all got it with a bit of practice (Mirrors, Signal, Life-Saver, Manoeuver and then Cancel the indicator) we did it loads and loads of times just to make sure we would get it right on the Road as they didn't want us to get squashed.

And then it was the Emergency Stop :shock: Remember Squeeze the Front Brake Like its a Wet Sponge DONT repeat DONT Grab it as the front wheel Locks (how he stayed on the Bike suprised us all) once again it was Practice Practice and more Practice then it was of to lunch.

During the Lunch a few more Questions and instruction on what to do while out and about on the Road. Then the other instuctor arrived and the Two that are on their CBT retests go off with the other Instructor and me and Dave are fitted with our Radio's and advised on what we were going to be doing wile out on the Road.

So off we go out and about on the Roads :shock: With the reassuring voice of Vicky in my ear it was a lot easier than I anticipated :D :D :D

after going around the roads for Half an hour we stopped in a side street to practice our U-turns and Emergency Stops (Still not Happy withthe U-Turn but it was good enough), then back out on the Main Roads and round the roundabouts ect finally after Two and Half ours on the Road it was back to the Training School to be given our CBT's Thankfully we all passed and my Confidence is much improved.

End of the Month its my DAS :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well I hope this has given you an insight on what you do on your CBT and I hope it Helps :D :D :D .

Edited by Anonymous

• 1 month later...

My CBT went pretty well..

When I arrived I was quite nervous because I had never rode any motorbike before. There was me and two other guys, one of which was learning on a 50cc scooter, the other couldn't do the road session because he didn't have the paper part of his liscence and he was extremely short sighted.

Anyway, first of all we had a breifing, then we did the car park session for a few hours (putting the bike on and off the stand, figure of eights, slow clutch control e.c.t).

Then we had a break for somethin to eat, and then afterwards we had the breifing for the road session. We went out, got on the bikes and then proceeded to exit the car park.

Here's the worst part... at the entrance/exit to the car park, I stalled the bike... FIVE TIMES. I felt like a right novice. Anyway, when I finally got the bike on the road I loved it, we took it in turns to take the lead, did U-Turns in the road and so on. Due to the fact that I had naver rode anything before, the Yamaha SR125 I was riding feeled pretty quick lol.

Overall I enjoyed my CBT, well I would have enjoyed it better if it hadn't have rained all day. But still, very good.

Well... Where to begin...

I was one of 4, but i was the only first timer there.. everyone else was a resit ( one fella was 60+ and had been on the CBT for years.. S'pose if your happy keeping L's on, why pay for the test !!

Ive been driving cars for 11 yrs, so the highway code lesson got skipped, as with the road awarness chat !!

I was put on an old Hyosung, this was my first time on a bike ever, and now wish i'd asked for another bike !!

We went through the checks, brakes, lights, etc... then a lil excersize of putting the bike on & off the centre stand.. This is where i began to hate the bike they had given me !!

Every time i put the bike on / off centre stand the pillion pegs cracked my shin... And i mean every time.. Not put off by this i continued..

I had to go first at riding in circles around the carpark... took me a while, but got there, I felt very rushed tho as everyone else just skipped trhough and always seemed to be waiting for me :(

I was generally OK with the slow manouvers, tho the clutch was awfull and stuck constantly in neutral..

We then came to do manouvers at junctions.... I did my observations, but the couldnt reach the indicator switch without taking my hand off the grips causing me to loose balance alot... After being yelled at several times i stopped and pointed out that the grips on the bars where no where near the controls, infact there was over an inch gap inbetween !!

I was never shown emergancy stops or U-Turns !!

We then went out onto the road... staright into school traffic :| even had a few mum's run straight out in front of me :shock:

In the end i passed... But never want to do it again !! Dont let my experience put anyone off tho.. Im guessing my bad experience was a one off...

Make sure tho.. if you are the only first timer, dont let them pressure you into rushing !!

• 3 weeks later...

Passed my CBT about a mounth ago and this is the basics.

I was one of two on the day the other guy had a driving license and i had never driven anything before.

I was given a honda CG a very good bike might i add was then shown how to check the brakes, lights, oil, tyres so far so good.

Then the problems begin i come across the oddest thing i have ever at this point in my lif came to a center stand lets say at the end of the CBT i was still puzzled by it :lol: .

After i finally worked out how to get off the stand i was ready to roll about on the bike then fire it up to hear the great rumble of a 125cc ( well maybe not so great) .

Next was getting from neutral into first had no problem but was nearly crapping myself to let off the clucth incase i pop a wheelie and fly off looking like a muppet but all turned out well apart from stalling :oops: .

Then went onto driving about in first around the course passed with no problems then went onto the figure of 8 that i was aweful at a hummer probolly has a better turning circle then what i had then but after 10 minutes it was a little better cut it down to the turning circle of perhaps a big old cadilac.

Then after anoter ride around the course for an hour it was emergancy stops and they went fine ( since i was only doing 20mph aall i had to do was pull in the clutch).

Then it was a break but me being the useless idiot i am i ate my sandwich for brekfast so just had to make do with tea.

Now the road test was exiting nothing like the country roads that smell of menure and doing 30mph in a 50mph zone luckily the people behind were good natured motorist.

I did how ever make some pretty bad errors on the road worst ones being cutting someone off on a round about ( he was indicating to go off but i know i was in the wrong) and the main one being that i pulled out of an intersection and messed it up when i lost ballance and found my self turning right into the wrong lane with on comming traffic.

Get back to the motorbike school and was told by the instructer he wasnt going to fsail me but he wasnt going to give me a pass cuase i had no problems with U turns and rode pretty good other then the errors i said above so he offered me to come the next day and redo the 2 hour road test and rent the bike again for just £10 and all went well now im enjoing life with my bike.

So thats pretty much my life story there plenty of bedtime reading.

• 2 weeks later...

My CBT was fine in the playground, but i put a kilo in my trousers out on the road i tell ya.

I came home i sat there wondering if this bike lark was really for me.

No one at any point on my CBT taught me how to change down gear. Even on the road, the guy in my ear was just saying "select the appropriate gear". Well i dno what the appropriate gear is, at that point, i'd ridden an SR 125 up and down a dirt track and a YBR round a playground. Select the appropriate gear........what chance did i have.

Don't you just WISH you could do your CBT again though, now that you can do it all without even thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

CBT today...

...and passed!

You know what? I had the time of my life. Had never ridden a geared bike before, and after 5 minutes had steamed up the visor from singing Pearl Jam and Kula Shaker at the top of my lungs... :)

Things that went well...

Low speed control / manoevres (was expecting the worst with the U turn, but it went fine. I felt less comfortable with the figure 8s - I felt they weren't tight enough, but apparently they were...)

Gear stuff (huge headfeck from being a car driver, mind...)

Positioning

Things that didn't go so well...

Remembering to cancel indicators

One late gear change where I should have slipped clutch earlier, and one stupid stall at the end ("stress related" - in a bus lane with a bus behind me, and instructor telling me to get going quickly :) . Started to have the same thing right at the end, on an emerge at a tough roundabout and learnt from my mistake, and grabbed a handful of clutch, and rescued it)

Things I learnt...

Stay off the front brake at low speed

Don't sing loud with the visor down

If you want to stall, find a high pressure situation and then rush

Ride like everyone wants to kill you

Where now...

Instructor said the low speed stuff was good enough to take a day off DAS, and to go for a 2 day DAS. That pretty much made my mind up; I'm gonna miss out the 125 stage, which I had considered. Just gonna go straight for theory next month, and then straight into 2 day DAS. Then the Bandit is gonna hopefully follow shortly afterwards... ;)

If I have a better day than today this year, then I can't wait to find out what it is ;)

Warning – This is a looong post

It was a bright and sunny Saturday morning and I had a terrible feeling I'd made a big mistake :S. SK93 had given me a lift to the test centre, which was a brand new school playground, was very open and flat but I felt it had far too many things surrounding it such as fences, goalposts, seating areas, which I could hit...People started turning up and it soon became clear that like a few other posters on here, I was the only one who had never ridden a motorbike before and all of them had at least a years experience :( We started off with the usual 30min safety talk and bike overview that went fine, I had done some reading into it and was pretty much aware of most of it.

Now we were ready to get on the bikes the sunshine vanished and it duly chucked it down, the buffalo jacket I had on was pretty comfortable and warm but the waterproof trousers were anything but that. I had also not worn a decent pair of shoes, which meant my feet were soaked and cold instantly. The caberg helmet was pretty comfortable and fitted well but with the driving rain and me panicking like a rabbit in headlights I was steaming up like a sauna.

As everyone else was miles ahead of me in experience I got my own instructor and promptly stalled the bike at first attempt. Second attempt I got it going and the bike wobbled forward unceremoniously straight at the five-a-side goal, luckily I discovered the brakes before discovering what it’s like to ride a bike into a goal. I slowly improved and could now get the bike round the yard and stop it successfully, I even managed to get it into second gear.

Next we did the slow speed manoeuvres, figure of 8, slalom, and U-turn. All of which I managed to do ok and the instructor said my clutch control was pretty good, however I really struggled with the U-turn either putting my foot down or going far too wide, something that is still a pain now. To finish the off-road bit we did some junction practice, which at the time was baffling. Observe, indicate, slow, change down gear, slow, lifesaver, and manoeuvre and DON’T forget to turn your indicator off!

By this time the weather had cleared and was brightening up, so we went inside to have a talk about on the road riding, it was basically more safety advice and information about traffic and Highway Code. The headset I got was pretty comfortable and the instructor was clear and easy to understand. So I was unleashed upon the general public, much to my dismay more than them. As we left the school I immediately forgot to cancel my indicator and then stalled at the first junction…start as you mean to go on. Oh and weather kindly switched back to rain and hail just in time for our ride out :)

Overall I didn’t do anything to seriously wrong, apart from when at the end I nearly road into a garden wall but I don’t think anyone saw me...It was a tough experience and a steep learning curve for me. However they said I’d done very well for someone with zero experience and I passed :) I’d agree that if you can get some experience in before you go it will help immensely because there’s so much to take in on your first go.

It gave me a good solid grounding but I feel I’ve learnt so much more by having my own bike and getting out there and riding for real, so far I’ve been over 500 miles on it and I’m loving it. Now that I’ve worked out the worst of my bike handling demons on it I think I’ll be ready for the D.A.S and I can’t wait. Main things I learnt though were, cancel your indicator, be observant, practice makes perfect, get your own gear and most importantly don’t rush.

• 2 weeks later...

I failed my CBT today. It was my first time in control of anything faster than a pushbike. There were four in my group, including another who'd never ridden before. All on mopeds. We were going around in circles, I'd done 2 or three and was stable and getting the hang of the throttle control, when I spotted the other novice in front of me wobbling around and stopping. Next thing I knew I was on the floor (smashed the mirror -oops). They wouldn't let me continue. I know it was my fault, but does this seem a bit harsh to anyone? Reading others' stories here, seems others fell off but continued. I really wanted to go on and get it right. The school offers half price re-tests but I'm not sure I want to go back. The instructor clearly thought I shouldn't bother.

Hello all,

I did my CBT (125) over the weekend so thought I'd just pass on the experience, but only quickly as I'm at work.

Basically, I'd never been on a bike before Saturday (when I did the CBT) and my god, harder than I had previously thought! We started out in the training ground and I just couldn't get out of the 'car' mentality (I’ve been a driving for the past 8 years or so) and just couldn't make my hands do what my feet should be doing... needless to say there was several stalls and quite simply embarrassing moments! The rest of the bike handling etc. was running pretty smoothly, however when it came time to get on the road, I was pretty nervous to say the least...

However, as soon as I was on the road, it suddenly clicked, there was a couple of stalls in the first 5 mins and then it all started to flow, I wouldn't say I put the instructor to shame, but there was certainly rapid improvement! The only thing I can think is that I was a little bit off driving around in the training ground/car park and when I was back on the road, it just felt more natural or something - I don't know what it was, but it was a hell of a lot better!

Basically, my advice about the CBT is not to get too worried if it doesn't click before you're out on the road, I don't know if anyone else was like me, but I have a feeling I'm not alone!

Anyway, I must get back to work!

Richard.

Did my CBT sat and passed.

The day started with classroom stuff, what gear to wear, safety on site that type of thing.

Then the bikes, firstly how to look after your bike, what to check and how often to check it.

Then how to handle the bikes, things like putting on and off the stand.

Then on the bikes, starting them running through the gears, which foot down, this helped calm me down as i'd never rode a bike before.

Then we were off around a car park, we went at a nice pace and the intructor was great !! One girl crashed ino the back of me :shock: but didnt hurt me or the bike, she also crashed into someone else :shock: then wizzed aross the car park and fell off!! :shock: :shock: which was a shame and a worry, if she could do that then so could i !!

once we had got everything down, u turns, emergency stops, slow control, stopping at junctions that type of thing we had a break.

After break out onto the road, i was in front, by this point all worry had left me, i loved it! i could hear the intructor fine, was given plenty of time before turnings, we stopped did our u turn and emergency stop and went back to the test centre !! full pass, cool as :D

theroy next !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I passed my CBT yesterday. Twas the first time I had ever been on a motorbike and aside from the slow control stuff I took to it like the proverbial fish to water. All the on road riding was perfect. The chap that did my CBT said the only thing I did wrong was change up through the gears a bit too fast.

I managed to do the emergency stop and figure of 8 quite well, but it took me a couple of addtional attempts to perform the perfect U-turn. I know what I did wrong as well, I didn't use enough acceleration plain and simple.

Anyway like I said I passed and I thoroughly enjoyed the entire day, whilst I was there I booked my theory test for July 2nd. I'll be booking the DAS (and the three day's training) as soon as the theory is nailed.

• 2 weeks later...

did my CBT today, it was really good! i was very nervous this morning on the drive there but it seemed to disappear as soon as i met the instructor. he was really freindly and encouraging. i'd never ridden before today and i seemed to pick it up quite quickly. i got the u turn first time, and the figure 8 and the emergency stop, i think its from reading on here to look at where you want to be that helped me. thanks!

anyway we had lunch then went out on to the road, i got nervous again as soon as we left the centre, but after the first few sets of lights i was fine, then when he was saying 'wind it on we're coming up to a 60zone' it felt great!

did my CBT in 2000, turned up on the day with non of my own kit, my dad had said if you pass, i ll buy you whatever you need, but not until you pass,

so i turned up in jeans and t shirt. looking abit like a pikey! 3 of us in total, a girl and another guy, he turned up with all the gear and his dad rode his brand new bike down, and said when you pass you can ride it home.

on the bike etc, stalled once or twice that was about it, i seemed to pick it up quite quickly, and i knew there was gonna be a shiny rs125 as my prize!

out on the road, everything went fine, i passed. and i ve passed every other test since first time.

The other guy who was with me, turned out to be all the gear no idea type.

He did a few stupid things on the road test, and nearly got flattened on a round about, so they failled him, he got all arsey, and obviously had to phone daddy and ask to be picked up! (COCK)

that made me feel good!! ha ha!

james.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that depends on the following :lol:

You can ride up to a 50cc scooter WITHOUT taking any test providing you have held a full license before February 2001. (WE WOULD ALWAYS RECOMMEND COMPLETING THE CBT FOR THE SKILLS GAINED THOUGH)

You do not have to display L Plates and you can take a passenger on the back.

HOWEVER, if you want to ride up to a 125cc machine, you need:

The Category A on your license, to pass a CBT and display L Plates.

You cannot take a passenger on the back.

Did my CBT today,

went well and i'm collecting my certificate tomorrow morning as they didn't have enough in stock.

Really enjoyed it today despite the bike.

Got there 9am, had a 20 minute chat about safety equipment

Had a look at the bikes and shown what checks to do/ how to put them onto stands and that sort of thing...

Chose a bike - I got a big 'chopper' style Hyosung (it was the last one left). It only had one mirror, i beeped the horn and the horn fell off, the electric start never worked so i had to start it manually every time! the indicators were a swine to cancel as its just a slide switch rather than a push in to cancel jobby.., and the position of the handle bars were similar to pushing a wheel barrow. I blame that for my poor right figure of eight as my hand was right in against me when turning....

Anyway enough blabbing about the bike.....

Went around the car park / test center bit, did a load of laps, practicing going through the gears etc. then it focused more on shoulder checking and treating the junctions properly etc. figure of eight / turn in the road (quite tricky on this bike but i did get it in the end). Practiced emergency stop etc.

After a video and more theory related stuff we headed off on the roads.

One instructor to two pupils which i thought was spot on as it gave you plenty of feedback over the radio headphone thing.

Drove around and did a few more maneuvers and then headed off onto the A66 / A19 / Parkway which are the main roads near Middleborough. Went really well, headed off more into a few country ish roads which was great.

Headed back to base to complete.

Overall i thought it was really really good. really enjoyed it, thought that the training / feedback / knowledge from the school was priceless..

Booking my DAS in the morning i think it will be really early in September that i will be able to get in.

hardest thing to remember: CANCEL YOUR INDICATOR! - luckily the flat battery on my Hyosung meant that the rev counter bounced every time the indicator was on! lol.

cheers

Chris

Slightly late I know, but hey I've been busy!

Catherine and I passed our CBTs. Catherine took two days though - by the time she was ready to go out on the road, there wasn't enough time left. But its all to the good, now we're onto the DAS, she is much better at U-turns than me (even on the 500cc, despite her being tiny).

Anyone who is thinking of learning in London, I can recommend Metropolis highly. They are very professional, have very experienced instructors and use new bikes (we've been on '07 CGs and '07 CBF500s). We are on their "Super Six" course, which includes Theory, CBT and DAS. Its not cheap at 680 quid, but if you need any extra training they give it to you free (Catherine didn't have to pay for the second day of CBT she did).

Anyway we are well into the DAS now - test on Friday, I'll report back on that once we've passed (we are going to pass...)

p.s. compared to some others here, my CBT was very dull, we rode round a playground, did some figures of 8, went for a saunter round Chelsea, did a few U-turns, job done.

I did my CBT on the 9th July.

It was the first time I had ever rode a bike, and I loved it.

Instructors were excellent and very patient.

All in all, bar a few really daft mistakes I thought I did pretty well.

But it was once we got out on the road that I really loved it even more.

Not only were the instructors great, but all the other folk there as well were all very friendly, with nobody being a "know it all" or "show off" desoite some having been riding bikes for years.

Last Wednesday I did my theory test as well, passing of course :wink:

On Saturday I picked up my first bike (XL125 Varadero - I wanted a bigger bike hence going for this one), and have been out on it ever since.

Looking to do my DAS as soon as possible.

I did my CBT and will do my DAS through Bikerite in Rutherglen, Glasgow. Excellent place.

Well I though I wold post up about my CBT, I passed it today.

I arrived at 8 this morning, we first did a bit of theory and went through the checks to do on your bike how to get it on/off the centre stand etc.

There were 5 of us there to 1 instructor, 1 person was re-taking their CBT, 2 were taking their scooter CBT and 1 other person was doing their 125cc motorbike CBT.

We spent all morning riding round in the yard doing circuits and junctions, U turn, figure of 8 etc.

After dinner we had another 50 minutes of theory.

As there was only one instructor only 2 people could be out on the road at a time. So one bloke said he would go as he was tired and it was arranged for him to do it next week. Then I was told I wouldnt be going on the road as I am doing a crash course so it would all be covered then anyway.

Then he said that way they would be able to finish an hour earlier, so the others in the group said they wouldnt mind staying an extra hour so that I could go on the road :D

Had to wait an hour for the first 2 to go on the road then we went on the road for an hour, it was brilliant, thoroughly enjoyed it, although I ended up with another lad who was on an automatic 50cc scooter and it didn't like hills so we were taking it very steady.

Then after another hours break it was back on the road for the final hour, was really good fun, went on the dual carrage way although the moped max'd out at 48MPH so it was a nice steady drive back.

Sorry for the essay! Really looking forward to my 3 days next week although im dreading my test which is on Friday! I have a full day on Monday and again on Wednesday and my test Friday afternoon.

Now im off for a rest as we were there for 12 hours!