Advice please? Starter motor problems.

David_simo88

Hi every body!

Newbie post and I'll warn you now that I'm clueless when it comes to bikes. I just ride it.

I got my Piaggio Liberty 125 serviced last week and the day later it wouldn't start. I had rode it 15 mins earlier. Eventually it started and then the next morning for work, it wouldn't start. When I finished work and now, it still won't start. I've spoke to several people and they said it's the starter motor. Also the engine air filter was caked in dirt. Should this be cleaned under a service?

I have been having small problems with this for a while, but it would always start eventually.

It makes a noise as if something is turning, but it doesnt start at all.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge.

TAKE IT BACK TO THE PEOPLE WHO SERVICED IT FIRST BEFORE TINKERING ....

I agree, especially if you don't know what you're doing.

Listening to the video it sounds like the battery to me, but it could be bad connections or a dying starter motor - impossible to tell just from a video clip. But generally at this time of year batteries take a hammering and a weak battery will let go as temperatures drop.

Check the receipt for the service - some services are minor which don't include all filters or changing the plug. But if the receipt includes filters and yours are dirty contact trading standards.

It doesn't have any info on the receipt. Just what I paid.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see if they can identify the problem. I'm disappointed they didn't I'd it when it was in the garage. I'm a bit sick of it at the moment. If it's not one thing it's the other.

As said Take it back before you do anything else

Sounds like a Starter motor magnet has worked loose "Or/And" starter clutch eating itself ...or could be battery

Hard to tell from footage

What ever happened to simple kick starts on small bikes? Why make them more complicated than they need to be?

Yes, I would expect my air filter to be changed out on a service - especially if it was caked in mud. What did you pay for?

That is the starter or the clutch for the starter. Either way, it's fegged.

I would take it back and ask them what the hell they did to your bike.