Fitting brake lights to Top Box

Moonraker

Update and good news, I got it sorted!

Now look at the view a truck driver will have of your rear lights and brake light .... not visible with that overhang !

I would move the plate inwards to reduce overhang .And fit a secondary brake/tail light on the box

The above, from a previous post is a great point by @TimR regarding my top box.

I'd like to over come this by applying a brake light to my top box in place of its current reflector. Now I have a pretty basic Lextek top box and I have read online a out how simple it is to just wire up the top box light to the rear light/number plate light etc

Well, simple for some but unfortunately not for me.

If I buy a brake light for the top box can someone please, in simple terms, let me know what connector type am I looking for? where is the best place to connect it to, and how?

I'd like to hook it up so it works as per the standard brake light and when the bike is switched off, it doesn't drain any power.

Did have a quick look on this forum so apologies is if this a repeat. I also apologise for having no clue about how to do this.

Many thanks

I have three versions i have used

One using

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B071YKLNS6/ref=mh_s9_acsd_zgift_bKYE5X_c_x_1_w?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-4&pf_rd_r=X6P1NS13V76CM54S4Y8M&pf_rd_r=X6P1NS13V76CM54S4Y8M&pf_rd_t=30901&pf_rd_p=056b3035-c6c5-5ab2-8c01-ea9882b8286c&pf_rd_p=056b3035-c6c5-5ab2-8c01-ea9882b8286c&pf_rd_i=303684031

Mounted on top of top box.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292104773847

Mounted on rear of topbox

Look at this on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322098612825

Mounted within the reflector strip on a givi topbox

All you need to do is find the wires going to rear lights and work out which supply the brake/side/ indicators and splice into them using either scotchlok style connectors or a similar style

All you need to do is find the wires going to rear lights and work out which supply the brake/side/ indicators and splice into them using either scotchlok style connectors or a similar style

May not work if you have a canbus type system on your bike without generating error codes. What bike do you have Make/year?

Edit sorry its in your signature..SV650 so that should work

All you need to do is find the wires going to rear lights and work out which supply the brake/side/ indicators and splice into them using either scotchlok style connectors or a similar style.

Hi as TimR has said just use scotchlok connectors. On the SV wires are as follows BROWN = Rear light, BLACK WITH WHITE TRACER = Earth, and WHITE WITH BLACK TRACER = Brake light. Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...

Think about using Positaps instead.

In regards to fixing the LED light to the Topbox - what would happen when I want to remove the top box from the bike? Is there a connection that I can "plug" and "unplug" [like a positap] that allows me to keep the wiring fixed in to the bike and keeping the light on the top box? Almost two separate things that I connect when I want to use the bike?

Or am I making things up?

This depends on the make of top box and the light kit used. I think Givi have spring loaded connector pins so nothing to unplug but can get mucky.

Admore Lighting kit has a plug. Please double check I'm not absolutely sure.

I have the Givi V56 with the Admore light kit which gives you brake and indicators on the box.

https://admorelighting.com/

[mention]raesewell[/mention] I checked your link and they look great.

I know the following link is for @day time running lights@ and so aren't quite right, but I can see in their pictures that they have connectors that appear to be able to be plugged/unplugged. This is what I had in mind,

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=253005712320&category=174060&pm=1&ds=0&t=1519375866000&ver=0

@raesewell I checked your link and they look great.

I know the following link is for @day time running lights@ and so aren't quite right, but I can see in their pictures that they have connectors that appear to be able to be plugged/unplugged. This is what I had in mind,

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=253005712320&category=174060&pm=1&ds=0&t=1519375866000&ver=0

The Admore kit has a plug that you disconnect (I know because I have it), and the Givi kit has the spring loaded pins, I checked :D

Great stuff [mention]raesewell[/mention] thank you.

My top box is a Lextek and has one horizontal red "dummy" light across the middle. I don't mind doing a bit of DIY to fit a light in to this part or on it, just as long as I can plug and play.

:cheers: :thumb:

This depends on the make of top box and the light kit used. I think Givi have spring loaded connector pins so nothing to unplug but can get mucky.

I have had no muckiness problems. The only issues I have had are that the connectors on the inside of the case (to complete the circuit between lights in the lid and power from the base) did not always touch. So I stuffed some blu-tack in the clips before sliding in the connector. No problem then, and I always check the box light too as part of my pre-ride checks.

And now when I try to take the cover off the plug it keeps pulling it out of the plate instead. I think that may be a result of switching the setup between bikes and plates, though. Maybe I will need to glue it in. The cover holds on very tightly though.

The pins connecting the box and plate have never been a problem for me, though. And the internal ones is just because of the clips the connectors sit in, not the springs themselves. For a third the price, before import fees, and with all the wiring hidden away I have no regrets with the Givi kit.

I wasn't knocking the Givi kit and if you are happy with it that's great, but you did say you had had an issue with it.

I was just extolling the virtues of the Admore kit which for me was a no brainer choice because they produce a plug and play kit for my bike which plugs straight in with no wire cutting or tapping, also it provides a very quick flash as you apply the brakes. If cheap is your bag then the Givi kit will fit the bill, I had a different set of criteria when I made my choice and I am very happy with it, as you are with yours so everyone is a happy bunny.