Charging my battery

Any questions and problems about your motorbike? Ask other members for help and advice.
Message
Author
fastbob
Posts: 3295
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): gsxr1100 wp and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 1772 times
Been Liked: 1314 times

Re: Charging my battery

#16 Post by fastbob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 am

Westbeef wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:48 am
fastbob wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:13 am
Sam wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:38 pm
Thanks. :thumb: Well I wanted to go get it all checked over....I've got an oil leak too so wanted it fixing at the same time (my drive looks awful) I have seen batteries on ebay actually, just wanted to see if I could get a few days out of it, pay someone to do it (while I will watch and learn) then get this oil sorted too.

I'm totally new to the whole thing but extremely keen to learn.
You have been given the correct advice, get a new battery. If you ride around with a knackered battery you could fry your rectifier / regulator which will cost you more money. And please don't pay anybody to fit a battery even if they do let you watch . All you do is un bolt the leads and swap batteries then put the leads back on .
There's a receipt with my bike where someone paid £60 for a battery and an additional £60 for fitting it. :shock:
I've bought bikes for less than that !

User avatar
Speedy23
Posts: 1340
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:33 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha FJR 1300A
Location: nr Shipston on Stour, Warwickshire
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 460 times

Re: Charging my battery

#17 Post by Speedy23 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Westbeef wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:48 am
fastbob wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:13 am
Sam wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:38 pm
Thanks. :thumb: Well I wanted to go get it all checked over....I've got an oil leak too so wanted it fixing at the same time (my drive looks awful) I have seen batteries on ebay actually, just wanted to see if I could get a few days out of it, pay someone to do it (while I will watch and learn) then get this oil sorted too.

I'm totally new to the whole thing but extremely keen to learn.
You have been given the correct advice, get a new battery. If you ride around with a knackered battery you could fry your rectifier / regulator which will cost you more money. And please don't pay anybody to fit a battery even if they do let you watch . All you do is un bolt the leads and swap batteries then put the leads back on .
There's a receipt with my bike where someone paid £60 for a battery and an additional £60 for fitting it. :shock:
It wasn't C. U. Cummins and Sons Motorcycle Dealers to the Terminally Stupid, was it?
Oh my God, what's happened? I don't know man...I just got here myself!

fastbob
Posts: 3295
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): gsxr1100 wp and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 1772 times
Been Liked: 1314 times

Re: Charging my battery

#18 Post by fastbob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:29 pm

I don't know for sure but wouldn't Halfords fit a battery for free ? ( maybe they don't touch motorbikes )

User avatar
Mr Fro
Posts: 5357
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:03 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): ZX6r, ZXR750L Turbo
Location: Bury st Edmunds-ish
Has Liked: 29 times
Been Liked: 770 times

Re: Charging my battery

#19 Post by Mr Fro » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 pm

fastbob wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:29 pm
I don't know for sure but wouldn't Halfords fit a battery for free ? ( maybe they don't touch motorbikes )
No.

fastbob
Posts: 3295
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): gsxr1100 wp and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 1772 times
Been Liked: 1314 times

Re: Charging my battery

#20 Post by fastbob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Mr Fro wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 pm
fastbob wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:29 pm
I don't know for sure but wouldn't Halfords fit a battery for free ? ( maybe they don't touch motorbikes )
No.
Yeah I thought so , never mind.

User avatar
Westbeef
Fireman Sam!
Posts: 4035
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:47 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): CBR600F Sport
Location: Manchester
Has Liked: 505 times
Been Liked: 1081 times

Re: Charging my battery

#21 Post by Westbeef » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:37 am

fastbob wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:29 pm
I don't know for sure but wouldn't Halfords fit a battery for free ? ( maybe they don't touch motorbikes )
I would like to think any reputable/decent garage would stick a battery on for free if you'd bought it from them though. £60 is properly taking the piss.
Image

fastbob
Posts: 3295
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): gsxr1100 wp and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 1772 times
Been Liked: 1314 times

Re: Charging my battery

#22 Post by fastbob » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:40 am

Westbeef wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:37 am
fastbob wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:29 pm
I don't know for sure but wouldn't Halfords fit a battery for free ? ( maybe they don't touch motorbikes )
I would like to think any reputable/decent garage would stick a battery on for free if you'd bought it from them though. £60 is properly taking the piss.
When I worked in a bike shop I would fit batteries for free just for something to do . Occasionally I would get a tip which meant a free lunch

User avatar
Mr Fro
Posts: 5357
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:03 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): ZX6r, ZXR750L Turbo
Location: Bury st Edmunds-ish
Has Liked: 29 times
Been Liked: 770 times

Re: Charging my battery

#23 Post by Mr Fro » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:27 pm

fastbob wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:40 am
When I worked in a bike shop I would fit batteries for free just for something to do . Occasionally I would get a tip which meant a free lunch
What was that on Bob?

My zx6r is a pain in the testicles - side panels off, seat off, petrol tank off (propped up at a minimum), frame brace off and then finally the battery is accessible. It's probably best part of 1/2 hour all in and there's an awful lot of plastic clips and semi-rigid fuel pipe to knacker in the process - not to mention dropping the tank.

No chance I'd offer it as a free service.

FYI - when I ran Halfords stores (prob about 5 years worth) the battery fitting "course" was half a morning of some bloke showing how it is done in a car park (on an easy car too).

Now, I ran a few stores and in each one I had to foot hefty repair bills when one of the "qualified fitters" guffed it up by: not using a memory saver on a rover (ecu recode), failing to secure the battery clamp or terminals (smashy-smashy, sparky-sparky), or the trusted favorite - putting it on the wrong way round. :shock:

In a garage you pay for their expertise, in Halfords you pay for the insurance against a f**k up.

User avatar
Westbeef
Fireman Sam!
Posts: 4035
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:47 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): CBR600F Sport
Location: Manchester
Has Liked: 505 times
Been Liked: 1081 times

Re: Charging my battery

#24 Post by Westbeef » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:05 pm

Mr Fro wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:27 pm
fastbob wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:40 am
When I worked in a bike shop I would fit batteries for free just for something to do . Occasionally I would get a tip which meant a free lunch
What was that on Bob?

My zx6r is a pain in the testicles - side panels off, seat off, petrol tank off (propped up at a minimum), frame brace off and then finally the battery is accessible. It's probably best part of 1/2 hour all in and there's an awful lot of plastic clips and semi-rigid fuel pipe to knacker in the process - not to mention dropping the tank.

No chance I'd offer it as a free service.

FYI - when I ran Halfords stores (prob about 5 years worth) the battery fitting "course" was half a morning of some bloke showing how it is done in a car park (on an easy car too).

Now, I ran a few stores and in each one I had to foot hefty repair bills when one of the "qualified fitters" guffed it up by: not using a memory saver on a rover (ecu recode), failing to secure the battery clamp or terminals (smashy-smashy, sparky-sparky), or the trusted favorite - putting it on the wrong way round. :shock:

In a garage you pay for their expertise, in Halfords you pay for the insurance against a f**k up.
On mine it's seat off and you're at the battery. Literally a 10 minute job for someone with 0 mechanical knowledge or skill. Charging £60 for mine was a total insult to whoever paid for it.
Image

fastbob
Posts: 3295
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): gsxr1100 wp and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 1772 times
Been Liked: 1314 times

Re: Charging my battery

#25 Post by fastbob » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:15 pm

Mr Fro wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:27 pm
fastbob wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:40 am
When I worked in a bike shop I would fit batteries for free just for something to do . Occasionally I would get a tip which meant a free lunch
What was that on Bob?

My zx6r is a pain in the testicles - side panels off, seat off, petrol tank off (propped up at a minimum), frame brace off and then finally the battery is accessible. It's probably best part of 1/2 hour all in and there's an awful lot of plastic clips and semi-rigid fuel pipe to knacker in the process - not to mention dropping the tank.

No chance I'd offer it as a free service.

FYI - when I ran Halfords stores (prob about 5 years worth) the battery fitting "course" was half a morning of some bloke showing how it is done in a car park (on an easy car too).

Now, I ran a few stores and in each one I had to foot hefty repair bills when one of the "qualified fitters" guffed it up by: not using a memory saver on a rover (ecu recode), failing to secure the battery clamp or terminals (smashy-smashy, sparky-sparky), or the trusted favorite - putting it on the wrong way round. :shock:

In a garage you pay for their expertise, in Halfords you pay for the insurance against a f**k up.
What bikes ? No idea it was years ago . Your bike sounds well complicated. On my GSXR its just seat off , undo terminals , remove the rubber strap and lift out . I don't remember any being difficult. I used to fit screens , engine bars , huggers , grips , anything easy . Better than trying to sell Arai helmets to people who start with " what's your cheapest helmet " or knob heads trying to get refunds on Sidi boots that squeak . A favourite dinner money earner was to quickly run ally and stainless parts over the polishing wheels for a bright finish . I don't think people realise how easy it is to polish stainless steel to a lasting chrome like shine .