Air filter - OEM?

SometimesSansEngine

No need to waste your money on fancy filters and cleaning kits with "Special" oil . Just get the stickers instead , cheap as chips , literally.

At least the Ichiban Moto stickers are a bit tongue-in-cheek.......I was so impressed I bought the T-shirt!

Quote...."The ISO 5011 standard (formerly SAE J726) defines a precise filter test using precision measurements under controlled conditions. Temperature & humidity of the test dust and air used in the test are strictly monitored and controlled. To obtain an accurate measure of filter efficiency, it’s very critical to know exactly the amount and size of test dust being fed into the filter during the test. By following the ISO 5011 standards, a filter tested in England can be directly compared to another filter tested in California. The ISO 5011 filter data for each filter is contained in two test reports. Capacity Efficiency and flow restriction.

Without boring you about how the test works, suffice to say they add a controlled amount of dirt to the filter while monitoring its flow capacity. They also monitor the amount of dirt passing through the filter. Various filters were tested being the: AC Delco, Purolator, Baldwin, K&N, and AMSOIL.

Comparing the AC Delco (rated the best from the test results) to the K&N: The AC Delco filter test ran for 60 minutes before reaching its max restriction while the K&N and AMSOIL filters each ran for about 24 minutes before reaching their max restriction. Another interesting bit of information is that the AC Delco accumulated 574 gms of dirt and passed only 0.4 gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221 gms of dirt but passed 7.0 gms of dirt. Comparing the K&N to the AC Delco the K&N plugged up nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. The AC Delco filter which passed the smallest amount of dirt and had the highest dirt capacity and efficiency but also had the highest relative restriction to flow. Obviously the better filtering media is also the most restrictive."

Quote...."The ISO 5011 standard (formerly SAE J726) defines a precise filter test using precision measurements under controlled conditions. Temperature & humidity of the test dust and air used in the test are strictly monitored and controlled. To obtain an accurate measure of filter efficiency, it’s very critical to know exactly the amount and size of test dust being fed into the filter during the test. By following the ISO 5011 standards, a filter tested in England can be directly compared to another filter tested in California. The ISO 5011 filter data for each filter is contained in two test reports. Capacity Efficiency and flow restriction.

Without boring you about how the test works, suffice to say they add a controlled amount of dirt to the filter while monitoring its flow capacity. They also monitor the amount of dirt passing through the filter. Various filters were tested being the: AC Delco, Purolator, Baldwin, K&N, and AMSOIL.

Comparing the AC Delco (rated the best from the test results) to the K&N: The AC Delco filter test ran for 60 minutes before reaching its max restriction while the K&N and AMSOIL filters each ran for about 24 minutes before reaching their max restriction. Another interesting bit of information is that the AC Delco accumulated 574 gms of dirt and passed only 0.4 gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221 gms of dirt but passed 7.0 gms of dirt. Comparing the K&N to the AC Delco the K&N plugged up nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. The AC Delco filter which passed the smallest amount of dirt and had the highest dirt capacity and efficiency but also had the highest relative restriction to flow. Obviously the better filtering media is also the most restrictive."

What's the source on that [mention]Speedy23[/mention]?

Here we go . OP says shall I get a HI Flo filter ? Answer , yes . Ok thanks, I'll get one then . Then along comes Mr Sewell with a pointless , Jonny come lately, comment and off we go again . It's the cracked fairing all over again .

I am genuinely interested. I'm always happy to buy premium if I know it's worth it, and would happily keep in mind a more premium filter next year. More than happy to have a (factual) debate but at risk of sounding like a mod, could we all be nice on my thread please? :3some:

I am genuinely interested. I'm always happy to buy premium if I know it's worth it, and would happily keep in mind a more premium filter next year. More than happy to have a (factual) debate but at risk of sounding like a mod, could we all be nice on my thread please? :3some:

Hi SSE, wasn't being nasty....just trying to point out that if you flow more air through a filter, you will - of necessity - be letting more dirt into your engine. That cannot be otherwise and despite what has been said (or not said), no one has been able to disprove that statement, other than by hopefully indulging in gainsay.

Just saying something is untrue because you don't agree with it does not make it so. If anybody can find any documented evidence of a test regime carried out under ISO 5011 that demonstrates increased airflow through a "performance filter" coupled with a reduction in the amount of dust getting through that filter, then I will concede the point. But I have a feeling that it will be a long wait.

The results of the ISO 5011 test that I quoted (and many others that are readily available online) prove it. After all, that is what they were designed to do. That is why I attempted to reinforce my point with facts. As you requested.

My purpose in posting was not to score points but merely to point out that non-OEM air filters are often sold on the basis of purported gains in performance deriving from increased airflow through the element. What is never mentioned is the fact that this is always accompanied by the risk of increased engine wear owing to less effective filtration. The latter entity is the one that is never addressed directly by the manufacturers of the performance filter. Instead, they will wax lyrical about the filtration characteristics of their products without ever directly comparing them to anything else.

The upshot of this is that if you don't mind doing putting more dust and dirt through your engine, then go right ahead.

Edited by Anonymous

And, fastbob, who is Mr.Sewell? Who is Jonny? Why was he late? What is pointless about warning someone that they might be damaging their motorcycle by fitting a non-OEM component?

Manufacturer's always have to make a trade between cost, performance and climate, they have no idea where the vehicle is going to be used and the conditions it's going to face so they always err on the side of caution, so the chances are an oem filter is going to be good and slightly restrictive.

Is your engine going to blow up if you put a shit filter in, unlikely, are you going to notice the extra half a hp your going to get by sticking in a high flow filter, even more unlikely, might hear more induction noise if your lucky.

I run a 2.8turbo for 3 years with no filter, turbo vanes completely open to everything, wouldn't recommend it but I did the engine swap and liked the sound of the turbo 😁, I really wouldn't be overly concerned about a non oem filter.

And, fastbob, who is Mr.Sewell? Who is Jonny? Why was he late? What is pointless about warning someone that they might be damaging their motorcycle by fitting a non-OEM component?

Because it's bollox?

Helpful. Errr....well, if you actually did a bit of reading up around this, you could decide whether or not its bollox for yourself. Lots of examples of people fitting non-OEM filters and getting engine management lights, dirt in inlet tracts, etc. If you can be bothered to read them.

Manufacturer's always have to make a trade between cost, performance and climate, they have no idea where the vehicle is going to be used and the conditions it's going to face so they always err on the side of caution, so the chances are an oem filter is going to be good and slightly restrictive.

Is your engine going to blow up if you put a shit filter in, unlikely, are you going to notice the extra half a hp your going to get by sticking in a high flow filter, even more unlikely, might hear more induction noise if your lucky.

I run a 2.8turbo for 3 years with no filter, turbo vanes completely open to everything, wouldn't recommend it but I did the engine swap and liked the sound of the turbo 😁, I really wouldn't be overly concerned about a non oem filter.

Yeh, but that's right....people who are taking their engines down every 1000 miles or so ain't gonna bother about the extra wear, are they? I mean, dellorto carbs used to come with an open bellmouth with a bit of mesh over it that would possibly stop a small bird from being sucked into it, but for people to suggest that you can just stick these things on a modern bike with absolutely no downside is just disingenuous. The engine will wear more quickly...it's just a matter of are you bothered about it or not? If no, all well and good, but if you are........

What's the source on that @Speedy23?

http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm

I was refering to Raesewell , the author of post #7 in this thread . " Johnny come lately " is a quaint phrase to denote someone who interjects when the debate has already run its course. Rather than warn against damaging motorcycles, as you have kindly done , Raesewell has belatedly suggested K&N and Pipercross filters as alternatives to Hi Flow ones. My comment was provoked by a recent thread concerning a broken fairing in which myself and others suggested a simple repair using a Zip Tie . The aforementioned seized upon the use of the title" Zip Tie" as an unacceptable Americanism and the ensuing discussion, which was highly enjoyable I might add , raged on for at least a hundred more posts . I do hope this clarifies my comment and puts it more into context . Welcome back to the forum.

Well I for one always run K&N Air filters on the Bikes I used to use for work, if K&N did them, and 3 of my bikes now have K&N Filters, I just find it cheaper in long run than keep buying Air filters.

On bikes I know I'm not keeping long I use Hi-Flo, but for my highest mileage bikes got to be K&N, as for engine wear don't really need know as I rarely take a engine apart on modern bikes.

Current VFR's have 104,000 and 88,000 miles, and yes I know these aren't high compared with some peoples, but I never really had a problem. Never been inside the VFR's engine.

Well this is what came out, no idea if its condition can be described as good, bad or indifferent

Can be described as appearing to have done an excellent job .

Well this is what came out, no idea if its condition can be described as good, bad or indifferent

More importantly what does the other side look like ?