Slipping the clutch

Any questions and problems about your motorbike? Ask other members for help and advice.
Message
Author
Rkel1988
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Mutt mongrel
Location: Hyde
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 1 time

Slipping the clutch

#1 Post by Rkel1988 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:40 pm

Hey people. New to road riding, rode bikes in the past motocross but just recently passed my cbt and purchased a mutt mongrel 125 to learn on. Now the problem is when filtering in traffic and slipping the clutch i hear a slight grinding noise coming from the engine is this normal? The bike has only done 3000 miles. any input would be appreciated. Im basically wondering does it need to be looked at sharpish?

Richzx6r
Posts: 1198
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Location: Sunderland
Has Liked: 1152 times
Been Liked: 355 times

Re: Slipping the clutch

#2 Post by Richzx6r » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:42 pm

I'd suggest a small amount of the slack at the lever and at the bottom end at the clutch arm to rule out the cable being too tight, apart from that is the oil the correct stuff for the bike if not it may have ruined the plates and you will be requiring a new clutch pack
Keep it shiny side up and learn painful experience from others if you can

Rkel1988
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Mutt mongrel
Location: Hyde
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 1 time

Re: Slipping the clutch

#3 Post by Rkel1988 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:53 pm

Im not sure about the oil. It was only registered in 2018 so i cant imagine the oil to be wrong already?! Surely its still the same oil that came out the factory?

fastbob
Posts: 4657
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 2543 times
Been Liked: 2141 times

Re: Slipping the clutch

#4 Post by fastbob » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:58 pm

New to road riding and just passed your CBT and you're filtering in traffic . Well be careful then . Why are you deliberately slipping the clutch ? Can't you just trundle along in first gear ?

Beansie
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:20 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha Tracer 900 Honda Grom
Location: Stockport
Has Liked: 242 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Re: Slipping the clutch

#5 Post by Beansie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:01 pm

Surely if you rode motocross you’d be concerned if the bike had the same oil within a month never mind over a year. Won’t hurt to drop it out and put some fresh in, also should of been changed after the run in period usually around 600 miles so if it hasn’t got a stamp I’d definitely be changing the oil.

fastbob
Posts: 4657
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 2543 times
Been Liked: 2141 times

Re: Slipping the clutch

#6 Post by fastbob » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:02 pm

Rkel1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:53 pm
Im not sure about the oil. It was only registered in 2018 so i cant imagine the oil to be wrong already?! Surely its still the same oil that came out the factory?
Definitely change it then ! Actually they probably don't put the oil in the engine in the factory . I would expect that the vendor did that so who knows what they put in it . As mentioned , it ought to have been changed once already after the run in period. 3000 miles in a 125 is definitely time to change the oil . And the filter if it even has one .
Last edited by fastbob on Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rkel1988
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Mutt mongrel
Location: Hyde
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 1 time

Re: Slipping the clutch

#7 Post by Rkel1988 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:03 pm

Beansie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:01 pm
Surely if you rode motocross you’d be concerned if the bike had the same oil within a month never mind over a year. Won’t hurt to drop it out and put some fresh in, also should of been changed after the run in period usually around 600 miles so if it hasn’t got a stamp I’d definitely be changing the oil.
It does have all its service stamps up to date but yeah wouldn't hurt to drop it out and make sure its got the right stuff i suppose!

Beansie
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:20 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha Tracer 900 Honda Grom
Location: Stockport
Has Liked: 242 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Re: Slipping the clutch

#8 Post by Beansie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:13 pm

Yeah definitely mate especially if it hasn’t come from a dealer

fastbob
Posts: 4657
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 2543 times
Been Liked: 2141 times

Re: Slipping the clutch

#9 Post by fastbob » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:43 pm

I change the oil and filter ASAP on all second hand bikes as a matter of principle. I learned that one the hard and expensive way on a GSX 250 that the owner swore had just had an oil change. Not judging by the evil smelling black piss that came out of it . Never again .

billy sugger
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:06 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Cb125t2 cb250TWOFIFTY cb500 cb600sa8
Location: near Kettering
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Re: Slipping the clutch

#10 Post by billy sugger » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:18 am

I got caught out big time once, when I bought a Kawasaki Z200 from a little dealer.
bike sounded as sweet as a nut, so after a test ride I bought it.

After riding it home and making it all legal to ride, (bike came with some tax and about two months MOT), so I just bunged 3rd party F=F on it and took it for a run to see my Brother. travelling on the A43 the bike suddenly started to slow down, as if running out of fuel, then died altogether. I had a full tank, spark, etc but bike would not run, so pushed bike to a exit, up over the carriageway and back down the other side to push back home. Got about 1/2 a mile when a van man pulled up and offered to help, (Nice one mate), so bike in back and he took me all the way to my house.

got bike in back garden, and rang seller to complain, only to get the response "its nowt to do with me, I'm selling it on behalf of someone else" but would not give me the details.

Began to strip bike, and oil came out like treacle, not a good sign. got engine completely stripped including conrod of the crankshaft and found the problem.

The needle bearings were flat, and the oilway was completely blocked with crap, so conrod had got way too hot and seized.

I could not be arsed with sourcing replacement parts, and had no idea what other damage there was to the barrel or valves so I just gave the lot to a scrap yard, minus the magnesium wheels, because some scrote nicked them when strong winds took the fence down. That was annoying, as the wheels were worth more than the rest of the bike

Rkel1988
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Mutt mongrel
Location: Hyde
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 1 time

Re: Slipping the clutch

#11 Post by Rkel1988 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:56 am

billy sugger wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:18 am
I got caught out big time once, when I bought a Kawasaki Z200 from a little dealer.
bike sounded as sweet as a nut, so after a test ride I bought it.

After riding it home and making it all legal to ride, (bike came with some tax and about two months MOT), so I just bunged 3rd party F=F on it and took it for a run to see my Brother. travelling on the A43 the bike suddenly started to slow down, as if running out of fuel, then died altogether. I had a full tank, spark, etc but bike would not run, so pushed bike to a exit, up over the carriageway and back down the other side to push back home. Got about 1/2 a mile when a van man pulled up and offered to help, (Nice one mate), so bike in back and he took me all the way to my house.

got bike in back garden, and rang seller to complain, only to get the response "its nowt to do with me, I'm selling it on behalf of someone else" but would not give me the details.

Began to strip bike, and oil came out like treacle, not a good sign. got engine completely stripped including conrod of the crankshaft and found the problem.

The needle bearings were flat, and the oilway was completely blocked with crap, so conrod had got way too hot and seized.

I could not be arsed with sourcing replacement parts, and had no idea what other damage there was to the barrel or valves so I just gave the lot to a scrap yard, minus the magnesium wheels, because some scrote nicked them when strong winds took the fence down. That was annoying, as the wheels were worth more than the rest of the bike
Jesus! Thats illegal anyway you get 14 days return with any sale private or dealer by law! Update on the bike was riding in the rain yesterday and it cut out whilst idling st traffic lights. Not a good sign. Got it booked in with a main dealer under the warranty so hopefully any peblens will be free of charge 🤞🏻

fastbob
Posts: 4657
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and er5
Location: Coventry
Has Liked: 2543 times
Been Liked: 2141 times

Re: Slipping the clutch

#12 Post by fastbob » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:57 pm

billy sugger wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:18 am
I got caught out big time once, when I bought a Kawasaki Z200 from a little dealer.
bike sounded as sweet as a nut, so after a test ride I bought it.

After riding it home and making it all legal to ride, (bike came with some tax and about two months MOT), so I just bunged 3rd party F=F on it and took it for a run to see my Brother. travelling on the A43 the bike suddenly started to slow down, as if running out of fuel, then died altogether. I had a full tank, spark, etc but bike would not run, so pushed bike to a exit, up over the carriageway and back down the other side to push back home. Got about 1/2 a mile when a van man pulled up and offered to help, (Nice one mate), so bike in back and he took me all the way to my house.

got bike in back garden, and rang seller to complain, only to get the response "its nowt to do with me, I'm selling it on behalf of someone else" but would not give me the details.

Began to strip bike, and oil came out like treacle, not a good sign. got engine completely stripped including conrod of the crankshaft and found the problem.

The needle bearings were flat, and the oilway was completely blocked with crap, so conrod had got way too hot and seized.

I could not be arsed with sourcing replacement parts, and had no idea what other damage there was to the barrel or valves so I just gave the lot to a scrap yard, minus the magnesium wheels, because some scrote nicked them when strong winds took the fence down. That was annoying, as the wheels were worth more than the rest of the bike
When you say the oil was like treacle I bet the bast*rd knew exactly what was wrong with it and had stuck gear oil in it to muffle the rattles . We live and learn .