Battery charging only at idle...

onesea

An odd fault on my 2005 FZ6.

The voltage on the battery is fine 13.5v at idle bring the revs up at the current drops of till the volts are 10-11v which is below that of the battery at rest 12v.

An suggestions as to cause?

Diode test on the Rectifier that seems fine,

Ohms check on stator again that seems fine.

Just as the revs build the volts fall away...

Have a look at the alternator stator windings?

Specifically for signs of overheating or a loose solder joint.

As the Rotor spins faster (more revs), the vibration will increase and any loose connection will fail (temporarily). Also, increased revs means increased current and any restriction (poor joint) will tend to heat up and expand (again temporarily) which may cause a problem.

Sometimes these faults are VERY difficult to locate - Can you attach a voltmeter directly across the input to the rectifier and see if the voltage drops there as the revs are increased - At least that would narrow the fault down?

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for responses guys, I posted this up and popped in on my local motorbike mechanic.

I had already had a peak at stator and internals could see nothing wrong

I gave him the symptoms and he immediately said rectifier. I said we had checked diodes and resistance etc he still said rectifier. Cutting in to early to stop over charge.

A quick Google, a bit of a gamble, afew days wait and £15 later bike is charging again.

Thanks for advice just thought I would drop this in for communal knowledge.

Other top tip is don't jump start bike from running engine, it might be what did it in first place....

Sometimes these faults are VERY difficult to locate - Can you attach a voltmeter directly across the input to the rectifier and see if the voltage drops there as the revs are increased - At least that would narrow the fault down?

:cheers:

Glad you got it sorted.

8-)