is this an oil leak? (pics included)

Any questions and problems about your motorbike? Ask other members for help and advice.
workpeter
Subscriber
Bike(s): CBF600
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: is this an oil leak? (pics included)

Post by workpeter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:15 pm

*Update* - Just rode 30miles and no leak! Looks like the putty worked! I guess it wasnt working last night because the putty hadnt finished curing yet. Will keep an eye on it, but im quite pleased with the results so far.

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster
Has liked: 3019 times
Been liked: 3626 times

Post by fastbob » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:46 pm

workpeter wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:15 pm
*Update* - Just rode 30miles and no leak! Looks like the putty worked! I guess it wasnt working last night because the putty hadnt finished curing yet. Will keep an eye on it, but im quite pleased with the results so far.
🤐

workpeter
Subscriber

Post by workpeter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:06 pm

fastbob wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:46 pm
workpeter wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:15 pm
🤐
im still gonnna solder it :). I know putty wont last.

workpeter
Subscriber

Post by workpeter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:20 pm

Just to provide an update: So the putty job I did kept me going leak-free for around 9 months. it wasn't quite as professional as fastbob's fix (see pic comparison below) but it worked.

In the end, I replaced the radiator with a Chinese one for £80 instead of forking out hundreds for a Honda one. My local mechanic had to do some tinkering to get it to fit, but it works a treat. :)

I decided to replace it because it started to leak again, but this time from the cross pipe just above the one I cut out, due to corrosion on the backside of the pipe. I was gonna cut it out and do the same repair job but my mechanic said these Chinese radiators last a long time in his experience.

my fix

fastbob's fix

Return to “Pitstop”