Throttle cable increase

Any questions and problems about your motorbike? Ask other members for help and advice.
hardleydavidson
Bike(s): Kinroad XT50qt-2
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 6 times

Throttle cable increase

Post by hardleydavidson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:47 am

Hi,

Weird one, I've just replaced my throttle cable and everything looks fine, the throttle operates as it should but when I turn the handlebars fully the throttle increases. Now I could understand if this was full left as it may stretch the cable but this only happens full right. There's nowhere for the cable to get caught or crimped and it's a simple run from the switch, under the tank to the carb.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Marino
Bike(s): Super duke 1290 gt
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 274 times

Re: Throttle cable increase

Post by Marino » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:22 am

Carefully follow the cable, have someone to turn your bars and inspect every part of the cable. You will probably find somewhere that cable is going over or below something where getting tide.

Tiggie
Bike(s): Nothing :-(
Has liked: 1234 times
Been liked: 1332 times

Post by Tiggie » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:23 am

Usually this happens if you haven't routed the cable correctly so its binding/kinked when turning. I'd pull it off and reattach :?

TimR
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 509 times

Post by TimR » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:33 am

Does your throttle have two cables ,?

You have to re adjust both cables not just the one you replaced .

One opens and one closes the throttle
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Robert Frost

Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Has liked: 3554 times
Been liked: 3113 times

Post by Stu » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:37 am

Not enough free play at the throttle!

Slacken the cable a touch
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

hardleydavidson
Bike(s): Kinroad XT50qt-2
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by hardleydavidson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:16 pm

Thanks guys,

Only the one cable, not much for it to get hooked up on other than the tank brackets, I'll take a look could be it's binding on them

WD-40
Bike(s): Yamaha Fazer
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 122 times

Post by WD-40 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:29 pm

Maybe the new cable is longer than the old one. You could put the new one and the old one side by side and compare the length of the two of them

Richzx6r
Bike(s): Kawasaki zx6r j1 and a1p 636
Has liked: 3098 times
Been liked: 1007 times

Post by Richzx6r » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:41 am

All this pulling off and comparing lengths is making my wonder what kind of deviants we are harbouring :scratch:
Its better when its loaded

JRH
The Hoggfather!
Bike(s): Bandit1250
Challenge score: 260
Has liked: 1062 times
Been liked: 1101 times

Post by JRH » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:46 am

Richzx6r wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:41 am
All this pulling off and comparing lengths is making my wonder what kind of deviants we are harbouring :scratch:
You only just wondering NOW. :roll:
Current Bandit 1250 :D
Previous GP125 GSX250 GT750(had 2) GPX750

2020 challenge 100

Pubs 6 / 10
Churches 10 / 10
West Midlands 2 / 12
East Midlands 1 /12
South Wales 1 / 12
Hoggs Bonus 1 / 15

husoi
Bike(s): ST1300 (08)
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 217 times

Post by husoi » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:14 am

Richzx6r wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:41 am
A bit slow are we??? :P
All problems have a solution.
You just need to figure it out :)

Bianco2564
Subscriber
Bike(s): R1,Silverwing,RGV250,GT380,SS125!Velosolex
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 397 times

Post by Bianco2564 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:44 am

We had an issue on a throttle cable on one of our engines at work.
They are designed to have a set difference in length between inner and outer.
When the cable was laid out straight, the difference was correct, however when the engine was fitted to a car the cable was routed from the pedal through the bulkhead into the engine bay, this required it to follow a natural series of bends. The type of outer cable used actually opened up and caused the difference in length to change and made the throttle open.
You could see the effect with the cable on the bench ,measured the length difference laid out straight , bend it slightly to replicate the car installation and you could see and measure a change of several mm.
The cable supplier changed the outer cable to another brand and this fixed it.
It was down to the coils on the outer cable opening out, when a good and bad outer were laid side by side the tightness of the outer cable coils was obvious.
May sound random but true.

I had to replace the throttle cable on the R1 a while ago, bought a pattern part ,it just about fitted but the friction in the cable made the throttle feel awful and not snap shut.Had to buy a genuine part in the end.

Stu
Site Admin

Post by Stu » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 am

Bianco2564 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:44 am
When the cable was laid out straight, the difference was correct, however when the engine was fitted to a car the cable was routed from the pedal through the bulkhead into the engine bay, this required it to follow a natural series of bends. The type of outer cable used actually opened up and caused the difference in length to change and made the throttle open.
You could see the effect with the cable on the bench ,measured the length difference laid out straight , bend it slightly to replicate the car installation and you could see and measure a change of several mm.
It was down to the coils on the outer cable opening out, when a good and bad outer were laid side by side the tightness of the outer cable coils was obvious.

I had to replace the throttle cable on the R1 a while ago, bought a pattern part ,it just about fitted but the friction in the cable made the throttle feel awful and not snap shut.Had to buy a genuine part in the end.
But this is why you have cable adjusters to compensate for things like this

The adjusters work on the outer sheath to make it longer or shorter to give you the required slack at the throttle

Bianco2564
Subscriber
Bike(s): R1,Silverwing,RGV250,GT380,SS125!Velosolex
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 397 times

Post by Bianco2564 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:16 am

Stu wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 am
Bianco2564 wrote:

The adjusters work on the outer sheath to make it longer or shorter to give you the required slack at the throttle
Yes true but if slack set with the bar's straight ahead then the cable shape changed by turning the bars it could change the slack as we observed at work.
Not saying this is the issue but OP seems out of ideas.
He could try setting the slack with bars turned right and see what happens?

Stu
Site Admin

Post by Stu » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:25 am

Bianco2564 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:16 am
Stu wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 am
Bianco2564 wrote:

Yes true but if slack set with the bar's straight ahead then the cable shape changed by turning the bars it could change the slack as we observed at work.
Not saying this is the issue but OP seems out of ideas.
He could try setting the slack with bars turned right and see what happens?
Which is why I said there is not enough slack and thats why the revs are raising

Regardless of length and the amount of slack if its still rising its not got enough slack

If the slack is out the recommended range then more investigation needs to be done

But before we all get carried away which is already too late :lol: :lol: give the cable more slack till the revs stop rising then check the amount of slack if its too much then start checking lengths etc :D

skyrider
Bike(s): yamaha 225 serow
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 622 times

Post by skyrider » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:12 am

i bought a throttle cable a few years ago for a yam rxs 100 from yambits and the length of the original / yambits one was not even close :shock:
the law in all it's majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges to beg in the street and to steal bread.
anatole france

Return to “Pitstop”