Refurbishing front nissin brakes

Lumor_uk

On ebay £154 to refurbish excluding pistons if they need doing using OEM seals or do it myself?

oh I've just seen I can buy the pistons and seals from Suzuki for £78...it says kit does that mean both sides or just one? :(

ignore the first link then as that is for the nissin 4 pots!

you want the above link for the rebuild/exchange service which is a good price compared to the one you found

Or

these seals http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSF600-GSF-600-V-GSF600V-Bandit-1997-97-front-brake-caliper-seal-kit-/181205829093?hash=item2a30b585e5:g:i7kAAOSw5ZBWMj6R" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumb:

it really is hard to say!

it depends what sort of life they have had

I have seen high mileage ones in great condition and low mileage ones need replacing!

The only way to tell is to strip and see

A lot of them do clean up really well

yes they look like they are the ones

http://i.imgur.com/GSgAn2g.jpg

Looks like the same calipers that are used on the earlier Triumph Street Triple and the Honda CB750 F2N....... :wink: I bought 2 secondhand Street Triple calipers in excellent condition for £40....... :wink:

The previous owner (bro in law) says he had the seals replaced just over a year ago. If I clean them will I need to replace them in that instance?

wow nice price on those...hum those triumph ones are probably in much better nick than my 1998 brakes? hum....my bike is black and gold so would suit.

• 1 year later...

The brakes gave up end of last summer (didn't service them when I said I would) haven't ridden it since, but just tackled them couple of days ago. The seals were £9 and have made a huge improvement. What a bloody mess of a job. The pistons have slight pitting at the ends where they've been exposed to the elements and will probably reduce the life of the seals. A few questions;

Are pistons standard across brake manufacturers, are there after market replacements, are they inferior, I saw some for £100 titanium, seems a bit steep.

Will probably do in 2 years when the brake fluid needs replacing again.

The brakes gave up end of last summer (didn't service them when I said I would) haven't ridden it since, but just tackled them couple of days ago. The seals were £9 and have made a huge improvement. What a bloody mess of a job. The pistons have slight pitting at the ends where they've been exposed to the elements and will probably reduce the life of the seals. A few questions;

Are pistons standard across brake manufacturers, are there after market replacements, are they inferior, I saw some for £100 titanium, seems a bit steep.

You can find your specific pistons on wemoto. Mine are about £20 each piston.

Assuming they are for the GSF600 see here at wemoto

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/gsf_600_w_x_bandit/98-99/